Secret Santa 2023

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
:wavingsanta:Secret Santa 2023:wavingsanta:
Once again it’s time for Secret Santa! Christmas time is fast approaching and all the elves here at the North Pole are busy working overtime to make sure all the good boys and girls get all the rockets, motors, and accessories they deserve.

:christmastree:PAPA ELF SPECIAL:christmastree:
To encourage more people to sign up and not wait till the last day, Papa Elf will send a special gift to one lucky participant. Every person who signs up will be entered in a drawing. Their name will be entered in the drawing daily starting the day they sign up, till Thanksgiving Day. So, the sooner you sign up, the more entries you get! (note – if you want to opt out of the drawing, please let Papa Elf know when you submit your entry)

If you would like to contribute to the Papa Elf Special by donating items or covering the shipping cost, please PM me.

📜Rules:📜
- First Rule of Secret Santa is talk about Secret Santa! You are encouraged to change your signature to advertise this event.
- Speaking of Rules, Read the Rules
- DO NOT PARTICIPATE IF YOU HAVE NO INTENTION OF SENDING A GIFT.
- DO NOT PARTICIPATE IF YOU DON’T PLAN ON CHECKING IN WHEN SENDING & RECEIVING.

- Signup deadline will be Thanksgiving Day, Thursday November 23rd at 11:59pm PST. You will be contacted via e-mail with your recipient’s name, TRF handle, address, and wish list starting as early as November 24th.
- Sign up must be a complete e-mail entry with all required fields. Your are not considered entered until such an e-mail is received.
- Buy a gift for your recipient. How much you spend is up to you. Most people spend at least $50 although most Santa’s have been very generous in this event!
- Feel free to post your wishlist within this thread too. It is fun to see what other people are wishing for.
- You must check in when you order your gift, ship your gift, and receive a gift. All check-in’s should be sent to [email protected]. Posting your check in on this thread is optional.
- Christmas Morning - open your gift! Woe to the one that opens their gift early!
- Post whatcha got and guess who sent it. Don’t forget to say thanks

🧙‍♂️Words Of Wisdom and Advice from the Great Dr Wogz🧙‍♂️

• Support your local / our hobby specific vendors!!
  • If you don't list anything, expect anything. And not providing a list means we have a hard time figuring out what you might like / want / need. Detail what you want & where you can likely get it (assuming an odd / unusual thing..)
  • It's not just about rockets & motors. Chutes, electronics, e-matches, recovery cords & harnesses, quick links, etc.. are all fair game too!
  • To you, $100 might not be a lot, but to someone else, it is.
  • Be real in your wants. Don't list the limited edition 3" carbon Go Devil or the 4" Wildman ultimate as your only wants.. List items that fit everyone's budget..
  • If you are only an HPR guy, say so. If yo are only an LPR guy, say so. it's disappointing to hear the kit you bought your guy likely won't get used, or is traded away as they have no interest in it / aren't certified to use it / don't have the supplies to launch it..
  • Manage the expectations. Your sender might be only a 1st time LPR guy, and has no clue as to what a "Tender Descender' is.. help them out!
  • Tools, Shirts, books, etc.. are just as valuable as kits & motors.. Ask for the airbrush, or the Dremel tool, or the shop vac! 3D printing filaments too!
  • Do some research on your recipient. look up some of their posts, and see what they like.. Tossing in a Rapala fishing plug will make someone smile! (Or a Cohiba Robusto!!)
  • Check & double check your box. Sometimes a small item might be buried in the packing. Remember, we rely on you to validate what you got, so we know all was received.. (I did have a recipient miss an item, and it likely got tossed)
  • If you pack your 'thing' from home, add something special/unique to your area/city/state. Vermont Maple syrup goes a long way in the southwest!!

📝HOW TO SIGN UP!📝
If you want to participate, send an e-mail titled "Secret Santa 2023" to "[email protected]". Note: the old n3tjm e-mail will still work. In the e-mail, include the following information:

TRF Handle:
Address:
Phone #:
Wishlist:

Please start a new line for each field and with the wish list please keep everything on one line (Don't hit Enter). This makes it easier to enter the data into Papa Elf's spread sheet of good boys and girls. Your Phone number will remain private, Papa Elf just needs it in case he needs to contact you.

Example: (This is Papa Elf's actual wishlist. If you plan to send something to Papa Elf, please have it arrive no later than Dec 15th. Thanks.)
N3tjm <Enter>
Douglas Gardei <Enter>
137 Penn View Drive <Enter>
Middleburg, PA 17842 <Enter>
555-555-5555<Enter>

Wishlist:

First Choice: LOC Warlock, 54mm Version with Aeropack 54mm retainer and 38mm Adapter. If you really generous throw in a J250 DMS or J275 Reload :D. Second Choice: RMS 38/120, At least 2 of the following loads, listed in order of preference: G71W, G67R, G339N, G69N (if you also get me the required fwd closure for it :D). Other Desired Items: Aerotech Sumo (to replace the one that went splat), HV Arcas, Arreaux, Arrauxbee-Hi. G-Force, Mega-Intiator. Quest: Quad Runner. Estes: Antar, Argent, Black Brant XII, B.O.S.S., Destination Mars Mars Longship, Doorknob, Explorer Aquarius, Great Goblin, Interceptor, Leo Space Train, Low Boom SST, Multi-Roc, Nike-X, Partizon, Red Nova, SA-2061 SASHA, Saturn 1B, Saturn V Skylab, So Long, Space Corps DARC-1, Space Corps Vesta Intruder, Super Big Bertha, Super Mars Snooper, Super Orbital Transport, Vapor. LOC 5.5 Goblin. PML ¼ Scale Patriot (Quantum Tube). Wildman 4” Goblin. Any Fiberglass Rocket kit 2.6” dia or larger. Aerotech 38/120-720 Combo. I have never flown a L motor, so a L1000 DMS would be nice :D. Wishful thinking: RMS 75/5120 Motor or M1350 DMS. Others: Wildman or Chris Rocket Supply gift card(s) so I can buy motors for next year’s SPAAR launches (E-G). Lipo batteries appropriate for Eggtimer Altimeters (Quantum, etc), cables, and an appropriate charger. Aeropack 54L and 54P Retainer, Aeropack 54/38mm adapter. Jolly Logic Chute Release. Eggtimer 70cm Ham Band version Rocket Tracker. Nar Membership Renewal. Eggtimer Altimeter Kits. Quantum Singularity. Mrs Elf wants something Pink.

Have Fun!

Papa Elf

Last edited:
I am in. Email and list to follow.

I love playing Secret Santa. I'm in. ... email on the way

📝HOW TO SIGN UP!📝
If you want to participate, send an e-mail titled "Secret Santa 2022"...
Hey Papa Elf, you might want to check this with the big guy, but I suspect that was supposed to be "Secret Santa 2023"...

Anyway, I'm in.

npJNNBFh.jpg

TJvVboHh.jpg

:wavingsanta:Secret Santa 2023:wavingsanta:
Once again it’s time for Secret Santa! Christmas time is fast approaching and all the elves here at the North Pole are busy working overtime to make sure all the good boys and girls get all the rockets, motors, and accessories they deserve.

:christmastree:PAPA ELF SPECIAL:christmastree:
To encourage more people to sign up and not wait till the last day, Papa Elf will send a special gift to one lucky participant. Every person who signs up will be entered in a drawing. Their name will be entered in the drawing daily starting the day they sign up, till Thanksgiving Day. So, the sooner you sign up, the more entries you get! (note – if you want to opt out of the drawing, please let Papa Elf know when you submit your entry)

If you would like to contribute to the Papa Elf Special by donating items or covering the shipping cost, please PM me.

📜Rules:📜
- First Rule of Secret Santa is talk about Secret Santa! You are encouraged to change your signature to advertise this event.
- Speaking of Rules, Read the Rules
- DO NOT PARTICIPATE IF YOU HAVE NO INTENTION OF SENDING A GIFT.
- DO NOT PARTICIPATE IF YOU DON’T PLAN ON CHECKING IN WHEN SENDING & RECEIVING.

- Signup deadline will be Thanksgiving Day, Thursday November 23rd at 11:59pm PST. You will be contacted via e-mail with your recipient’s name, TRF handle, address, and wish list starting as early as November 24th.
- Sign up must be a complete e-mail entry with all required fields. Your are not considered entered until such an e-mail is received.
- Buy a gift for your recipient. How much you spend is up to you. Most people spend at least $50 although most Santa’s have been very generous in this event!
- Feel free to post your wishlist within this thread too. It is fun to see what other people are wishing for.
- You must check in when you order your gift, ship your gift, and receive a gift. All check-in’s should be sent to [email protected]. Posting your check in on this thread is optional.
- Christmas Morning - open your gift! Woe to the one that opens their gift early!
- Post whatcha got and guess who sent it. Don’t forget to say thanks

🧙‍♂️Words Of Wisdom and Advice from the Great Dr Wogz🧙‍♂️

• Support your local / our hobby specific vendors!!
  • If you don't list anything, expect anything. And not providing a list means we have a hard time figuring out what you might like / want / need. Detail what you want & where you can likely get it (assuming an odd / unusual thing..)
  • It's not just about rockets & motors. Chutes, electronics, e-matches, recovery cords & harnesses, quick links, etc.. are all fair game too!
  • To you, $100 might not be a lot, but to someone else, it is.
  • Be real in your wants. Don't list the limited edition 3" carbon Go Devil or the 4" Wildman ultimate as your only wants.. List items that fit everyone's budget..
  • If you are only an HPR guy, say so. If yo are only an LPR guy, say so. it's disappointing to hear the kit you bought your guy likely won't get used, or is traded away as they have no interest in it / aren't certified to use it / don't have the supplies to launch it..
  • Manage the expectations. Your sender might be only a 1st time LPR guy, and has no clue as to what a "Tender Descender' is.. help them out!
  • Tools, Shirts, books, etc.. are just as valuable as kits & motors.. Ask for the airbrush, or the Dremel tool, or the shop vac! 3D printing filaments too!
  • Do some research on your recipient. look up some of their posts, and see what they like.. Tossing in a Rapala fishing plug will make someone smile! (Or a Cohiba Robusto!!)
  • Check & double check your box. Sometimes a small item might be buried in the packing. Remember, we rely on you to validate what you got, so we know all was received.. (I did have a recipient miss an item, and it likely got tossed)
  • If you pack your 'thing' from home, add something special/unique to your area/city/state. Vermont Maple syrup goes a long way in the southwest!!

📝HOW TO SIGN UP!📝
If you want to participate, send an e-mail titled "Secret Santa 2022" to "[email protected]". Note: the old n3tjm e-mail will still work. In the e-mail, include the following information:

TRF Handle:
Address:
Phone #:
Wishlist:

Please start a new line for each field and with the wish list please keep everything on one line (Don't hit Enter). This makes it easier to enter the data into Papa Elf's spread sheet of good boys and girls. Your Phone number will remain private, Papa Elf just needs it in case he needs to contact you.

Example: (This is Papa Elf's actual wishlist. If you plan to send something to Papa Elf, please have it arrive no later than Dec 15th. Thanks.)
N3tjm <Enter>
Douglas Gardei <Enter>
137 Penn View Drive <Enter>
Middleburg, PA 17842 <Enter>
555-555-5555<Enter>

Wishlist:

First Choice: LOC Warlock, 54mm Version with Aeropack 54mm retainer and 38mm Adapter. If you really generous throw in a J250 DMS or J275 Reload :D. Second Choice: RMS 38/120, At least 2 of the following loads, listed in order of preference: G71W, G67R, G339N, G69N (if you also get me the required fwd closure for it :D). Other Desired Items: Aerotech Sumo (to replace the one that went splat), HV Arcas, Arreaux, Arrauxbee-Hi. Quest: Quad Runner. Estes: Antar, Argent, Black Brant XII, B.O.S.S., Destination Mars Mars Longship, Doorknob, Explorer Aquarius, Great Goblin, Interceptor, Leo Space Train, Low Boom SST, Multi-Roc, Nike-X, Partizon, Red Nova, SA-2061 SASHA, Saturn 1B, Saturn V Skylab, So Long, Space Corps DARC-1, Space Corps Vesta Intruder, Super Big Bertha, Super Mars Snooper, Super Orbital Transport, Vapor. LOC 5.5 Goblin. PML ¼ Scale Patriot (Quantum Tube). Wildman 4” Goblin. Any Fiberglass Rocket kit 2.6” dia or larger. Aerotech 38/120-720 Combo. RMS 75/5120 Motor or M1350 DMS. Wildman or Chris Rocket Supply gift card(s) so I can buy motors for next year’s SPAAR launches (E-G). Lipo batteries appropriate for Eggtimer Altimeters (Quantum, etc), cables, and an appropriate charger. Aeropack 54L and 54P Retainer, Aeropack 54/38mm adapter. Jolly Logic Chute Release. Eggtimer 70cm Ham Band version Rocket Tracker. Nar Membership Renewal. Eggtimer Altimeter Kits. Mrs Elf wants something Pink.

Have Fun!

Papa Elf
I'm in. List sent.

Woohoo! I'm in. CIJ was a lot of fun this year, so I'm happy to play at Santa again.

Interested in learning fancier recovery methods (DD, Chute Release/Cable Cutter), and getting ready for an L1 attempt in late 2024 or early 2025.

Wishlist:
Jolly Logic Chute Release
Piranha Line Cutter
Estes Black Brant XII
Eggtimer Tracking supplies (GPS Mini, LCD module, LCD-GPS module)
Aerotech RMS delay drilling tool
AT 38/360 case and 38 RAS
Nomex blankets for BT-60 to 4"
LOC 4" V2
NewWay OldWay Nike Ajax
Radical Rocketry P-38 or X-15
Mach 1 AAMRAM
Starlight Bomarc or Jayhawk
AT 29 and 38 MPR reloads (really interested in Mojave Green and Redline)
Quality PET-G filament
LOC 4" tubing and 38mm motor mount tubing

If they're actually released/available:
Flightsketch Mini
Radical Rocketry Thales Starstreak

Oh yeah, count me in! Email and list to follow.

And once again, TY Papa Elf for helping to make Christmas very special.

email sent

Wishlist:

First Choice(s): 4” Loc Precision Micro Magg Kit # PK-53, 3.1” Loc Precision Onyx Kit # PK-12, Estes Great Goblin Kit # 9724.

Second Choice(s): Estes Super Mars Snooper Kit # 7309, Estes Pro Series II Launch Controller # 2240, any MPR Kit.

Other Possible Wished for Item(s): Cloned 3” Goblin or Cloned Mega Mosquito by Bad Boy Rocketry, any LPR Kit Skill Levels 3 - 5, any Scale Kit, any 2 Engine Cluster Kit, D12-3 Engines, D12-5 Engines

Thanks!
Steve

I'm in! E-mail sent

Estes: Alpha, Alpha III, Low Boom SST, So Long

Apogee Rockets: Air Mail, Peregrine Jr., Katana Jr.

Loc: Forte, Photon, Park Flyer Hyperloc 160

MadCow: 2.6” Mozzie, 2.2” Scooter, 2.6” Discovery

MAC Performance: 3” BOLT Missile, 3” AltAir

DG&A HPR: 3” Predator, 4” Lazarus

Wilman Rocketry: Punisher Mini, Eagle Claw Mini, Punisher Sport, Punisher SS, Eagle Claw Sport

I'm in. List sent.
List:
Squirrel works: Red Baron, Tuber. Apogee: Mini copter, DUAL 18MM REAR EJECT, 24" gliding parachute system , Fliskits: Doodad, Dimutive deuce, Thunderbird; Estes: Space Corps™ Vesta Intruder, Black Brant,Mean Machine; Sirius: Semroc Heli-roctor, Semroc Maple Seed, ; Rocketarium: Mega rebel, Terraformer, Aster 15; Laser cutter; Pretty much anything different I love Odd Rocs

I threw in the laser cutter in case my SS has a spare laying around unused 😂😂😂

I'm in again...

Wishlist:
I mostly fly mid and high power, with a couple exceptions.

Hardware & reloads:
Any AT reloads, particularly 29mm hobby-line (for 29/40-120 case)
EX Propellant chems (especially R20/low MW HTPB, DDI) (yeah, they're expensive)
Loki/Fisher Research 38mm nozzles for EX: sizes: #11-13, #19, #21, #26
38mm - 98mm casting tube/liner sets
54mm high power RMS EMK's (these)
Research motor hardware - those that use standard liners/casting tubes (as available on Always Ready Rocketry), such as Loki, Fisher, etc...

Electronics:
Eggfinder mini

Other:
Fliskits stable/unstable T-shirts (if you can find one...)
Oregon Astonomy & Rocketry gift certificate (oregonastronomy.com)
Gift card for LOC, Madcow, Wildman, MAC Performance, Mach1 rocketry, etc
Rocketry-related stickers

Building supplies:
54mm Aeropack tailcone motor retainer for 3" airframe (CONE ONLY) (Size TC5430A, B, or R )
1/8” - 3/16" FG or CF Fin stock
1"/BT-50 composite tubing (Minimum 2' length needed, prefer longer)
Ripstop Parachutes, 18" or larger (why does this look like a quote?)
Cluster centering rings... the more motors, the better!
32" (or longer) 54mm thin-wall FG airframe
Fin can from a CW Ibex 54 or Scarab 54

Kits:
Rocketarium Mega Rebel
Fliskits ACME Spitfire
5.5" LOC Magnum - the cluster version (if you're feeling extra-generous) :D

-e

Wishlist

Wildman
Mini Piercer
Mini Punisher
Punisher SS, Punisher 3"
Jayhawk 2.6"

LOC
MIM-23 HAWK 3", 4"

DG&A
Any Armageddon

Mac Performance - If Santa is feeling super generous
3" Black Fly, S/D w/ FWFGVK NC or HED

AEROTECH loads
LMS G77-7, G78-7, G79-7

JLCR

email sent a few days ago...

Wishlist:

I love everything related to rocketry, from MMX to full HPR- I'm currently L2 and will likely remain there.

Apogee Texas Twister,SR72 Darkbird, Slo-Mo, Katana
Rocketarium Aster-15 2 stage, Tankbuster
Wildman Wild Thang Sport
Pemberton Space Ark, Space Ark Jr., Kraken, Kraken Jr.
NCR MGM-157 Scorch, SR-99 HyperSwift

It's been one week since sign up has started and so far we have a good number of santas! Including some new ones! Still a couple weeks left so make sure if you haven't signed up yet, get your entry in asap so you get a better chance of getting the PES.

I guess my twin brother has entered his mid-life crises because since August he has started building model rockets... and his built collection is now 20 strong and growing. I am trying to get him to join TRF and join the fun :D

Last edited:
Here is the Official List of Santa's signed up so far for Secret Santa 2023

AcadiaRockets
Alan R
BruceS
Co-Leader of the LRP
Dr Wogz
DragonRocketry
Emckee
Frogglicker
Gdjsky01
Glasspack
jazzviper1
Jqavins
Kallahan11
Mikewrt
Mooser
Mopo
MProcket
MrSnappyTurtles
N3VQW
Pabsst
Raythain
Sandeja1
SkiesAreClear
Sriegel
Stan
Tg08
TheBru
Tobor
Tractionengines
UPScaler
Wally Ferrer

List Updated 11/24/23

Last edited:
E-mail Sent. WOW. I was the 2nd post in the thread, but only got around to the e-mail today.

Wishlist: Fruity Chutes deployment bag 4"x12", 4"x9", LOC Wolverine, I-ROC, IRIS-3.1", IRIS-4.0", any LOC 1.6" Park-flyers; Rocketman Standard Parachute, 5ft, 6ft, 7ft, 8ft; ; Eggtimer Quasar's, Quantum's, Eggfinder Mini-Trnasmitter (900mhz, not HAM); Any Mach1 BT55, BT60, 54mm kits, Aeropack Retainers (24L2, 29L, 38L, or 54P); Additive Aerospace "machined aluminum u-bolts" w/o hardware; Aerotech RMS-29/120 hardware; any 29mm or 38mm Aerotech DMS motors, (anything else...surprise us**.)

**The kids and I have a blast with this Secret Santa exchange, since even I don't know what's in the box. Not sure my wife gets the same excitment from it...

Just got done doing some behind the scenes for Secret Santa. Got the list updated, we are now 27 participants! Looking into the history of TRF secret santa, looks like 2004 was the first year we did this, so that means this is the 19th TRF Secret Santa! (I been the organizer since 2007). Perhaps we should do something special next year for the 20th SS.

Anyway, another thing I noticed... the earlier secret santas had a lot more participants. first one I did had 80! Come on people, get SS in your signatures, tell your friends, neighbors, enemies! I already sent out a mass e-mail and will probabily send another reminder next monday. I'd like to see more than 30 - 40 participate :D.

Also, if you are a vendor, and want to toss something in the Papa Elf Special, please send me a PM!

Back