Secret Santa 2021

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is, folks! The first unglued assembly of the Secret Santa rocket courtest of @n3tjm, @Pem Tech, @TigerHawk and a special Elf who donated the bottom transition and 3D-printed the top transition!

View attachment 498992
This bad boy is tall at 48.5 inches! I could shorten it, but I think a D or E motor ejection charge could easily push the rocket apart at the second transition (especially those Estes “shotgun” ejection charges).

I will leave the transitions white. Then I will paint the body tubes white. Then I will do a red spiral on each tube (not sure how to put on masking tape to achieve that).

I will use the Patriot fins, with two white and one red.
I will use 1/4” launch lugs on the bottom tube but I will probably still launch it on a 3/16”, four feet long rod.
Thanks you guys so much!
More pics to follow as I start building it!

(Do I need a “stuffer” tube for the motor mount if I use a 24mm motor? The motor would need to fill up about 34” of tube with ejection gas. I guess it couldn’t hurt…)

Looks like a BT-60 to BT-55 to BT-20? I'm guessing you are ok without a stuffer but, like you said a small one wouldn't hurt either and you have plenty of mass forward not to impact the CG too much. Can't wait to see the progress!

Any idea what to call it? First thought that came to mind was the Papa Elf Special. But nothing from that came from a PES. Maybe Papa Elf Surprise? Secret Santa? Stocking Coal Hunter? Grinch Hunter? Hmm.

Looks like a BT-60 to BT-55 to BT-20? I'm guessing you are ok without a stuffer but, like you said a small one wouldn't hurt either and you have plenty of mass forward not to impact the CG too much. Can't wait to see the progress!
Yep! Citation Patriot BT-60 from Papa Elf @n3tjm. Then BT-55 from Pem-Tech @Pem Tech Llama Builder’s special. Then BT-20 from Yankee from Papa Elf. The transitions (what a labor saver!) are from another great Elf on TRF! The other parts, including parachute, et cetera are from @TigerHawk

Hello everyone is there going to be a secret Santa this year? I was just considering trying to start one on Facebook

Thank you! Is there a set of rules you can direct me to?
the 1st post in this thread..

n3tjm hosts two every year: one at Christmas, the other in about June, for a summertime Secret Santa. He's been hosting it for years now!

we all end up spending about $75 on each other despite the "$20" suggestion!! some nice gifts over the years!

Here it is, folks! The first unglued assembly of the Secret Santa rocket courtest of @n3tjm, @Pem Tech, @TigerHawk and a special Elf who donated the bottom transition and 3D-printed the top transition!

View attachment 498992
This bad boy is tall at 48.5 inches! I could shorten it, but I think a D or E motor ejection charge could easily push the rocket apart at the second transition (especially those Estes “shotgun” ejection charges).

I will leave the transitions white. Then I will paint the body tubes white. Then I will do a red spiral on each tube (not sure how to put on masking tape to achieve that).

I will use the Patriot fins, with two white and one red.
I will use 1/4” launch lugs on the bottom tube but I will probably still launch it on a 3/16”, four feet long rod.
Thanks you guys so much!
More pics to follow as I start building it!

(Do I need a “stuffer” tube for the motor mount if I use a 24mm motor? The motor would need to fill up about 34” of tube with ejection gas. I guess it couldn’t hurt…)
Gosh! How is it October 2022 already?! I have to get going on the Secret Santa rocket! So many rocket projects, so little time…

Back