Goonieprise GNE 1701

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is another one from the scrap pile because I had most of the stuff, but no BT60. Had to roll that one myself. Ah.. yes... the 38mm motor should be just about the right size.
It came out just a bit smaller than a genuine BT60.
I could've gone and purchased a Baby Bertha, but I have everything I need except the body tube.

IMG_1881.jpg

I've never done a goonie, but dimensions for everything are out there on this forum somewhere. I'm trying to stay true to all that.
NC is 6.3 cm, BT is 5", tube fins are 2.75", etc.

And the custom NC... the ogive part is true to the 6.3cm size, I just added a saucer to it. Finished nosecone/saucer is hollow and weighs 28g which should negate any need for additional nose weight.

Had to do a lot of futzing with that tinkercad design, but it printed nicely.

That other thing there is a cut template for the rear of the BT.

gneSaucer.jpg

This looks fun.

Reminder for TinkerCad users: you can adjust the number of sides in the round shapes so the result will be a smoother curve with less visible facets.
1694798414831.png

End of the day.
Motor mount made and mounted. I intended for it to go farther in and the hook be on the bottom, but I had to arm wrestle the glue and it won the match.
Shuttle and nacelles mounted. I moved tubes back another 1/4" to make up for the motor mount, a little farther than OR spec. Fillets tomorrow.
I think the shuttle fin is too big. Oh well. Too late now.
Body tube and shuttle nacelles rear angle cut.

also. something happened to my phone cam and my pictures aren't big any more.

IMG_1888.jpgIMG_1889.jpg

So I designed and printed out these things to make it look more like warp engines instead of tube fins.
Too much? I'm not sure I want to glue them permanently in
Also - too much drag? I think this little goonie is draggy enough already

Asking for opinions here.

bling.jpg

To draggy? Just put a bigger motor in it. Rip out the motor mount if you have to and go minimum diameter! Also the warp engine things look cool, I would not get rid of them. I wouldn't permanently glue them in though, just in case.

I got it painted. The final touch was supposed to be these little red stripes on the shuttle fin. I masked it off, brushed them in .. took the tape off .. and they bled everywhere. yuck.
looks like .. well you know.
Hey I'll just paint over it and try something else. The paint over crinkled. made it even worse ... arrrghh..
It's so bad i'm not even going to take a picture.
I suspect I will be doing some more sanding later today. Its the only thing i can think of now. resand and repaint.

Sand AND THEN PRIMER and then repaint. REMEMBER PRIMER. It might just krinkle up again if you don't use primer...

To draggy? Just put a bigger motor in it. Rip out the motor mount if you have to and go minimum diameter! Also the warp engine things look cool, I would not get rid of them. I wouldn't permanently glue them in though, just in case.
I hope you are right but I have my doubts. Aerodynamically this will turn those from tube fins to cyclinders. I am not sure any amount of nose weight and upsized motors will fix this. Yeahs I know @Daddyisabar , “Fear is the mind killer”, but these things radically change the landscape. In combination with the saucer shaped nose cone, the addition definitely flunks my “Mind-Sim.”
those might best be used as “accouterments “ that are removed for flight and restored for display. I believe the Estes original Starship Enterprise also had a nose section that was added for flight and removed for display, I think it replaced the dish antenna thingy. So ”flight adaptations” are not new to Star Trek models.

I don't think those inserts would be enough to completely stop the airflow through the tubes. But I would want to see what the rocket looks like with and without before giving any recommendation.

“Fear is the mind killer”, but these things radically change the landscape. In combination with the saucer shaped nose cone, the addition definitely flunks my “Mind-Sim.”
those might best be used as “accouterments “ that are removed for flight and restored for display.
Personally, and from experience, I believe that this thing is going to arch over in the direction of those tube fins anyway because there's not enough drag on the opposite side to keep it straight. Not sure how much those little stars will affect the flight, but I'm going to leave them in.
First flight is going to be just FIFI .. effit, fly it. We'll see how it goes.

Ideally, could have put the warp engines on some short fins to extend them from the body.
The supports would have provided more fin area to help with the stability

But I would leave "warp cores" in....

Ideally, could have put the warp engines on some short fins to extend them from the body.
The supports would have provided more fin area to help with the stability
Maybe that's version 2 (or 1701-D?) .. instead of tube fins they're more like pods. Extend the shuttle out there too.
That would look pretty good, but this is simple and first version.
I'll leave it to someone else to improve on it.

Another goony fan here! Given enough nose weight to move that CG way up, it will fly just fine. *DO* swing test in different orientations to be sure.

Looking forward to the paint, livery, & launch report! :)

ps - I would use decals for the registration number rather than embossing, but that's just me. Looking great though!

ps - I would use decals for the registration number rather than embossing, but that's just me. Looking great though!
I embossed because I was thinking I would just paint them. By hand. With a brush. Raising them up makes that easy to do.
After my experience with the red shuttle trim however, I don't think I'm going to touch it now.

Back