Goonieprise GNE-1701A The next Generation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I contacted Alan to purchase copies of his 3D printed parts. See his Goonieprise thread here Goonieprise

I didn't want to hijack his thread, so here is my version. I made a few changes.....
I've been doing this in the background from my Tri & Quadra Dent builds

Main changes:
1) Made the shuttle a bit more 3D, plus plan to invert it
2) Moved the warp cores out.

First the shuttle. Googling the Galileo it looks like this.
1696639437852.png

So I added the mini-wings
IMG_0273.jpg IMG_0274.jpgIMG_0275.jpg

I glued 2 craft sticks together to make the engine supports. These will be mounted TTW. The second pix they are just dry fitted.

IMG_0293.jpgIMG_0294.jpg

I did decide to airfoil the internal portion of the supports.
IMG_0297.jpg

I am sticking by my propulsion units.

still think the forward nacelle grid (and now through the wall fins) convert perfectly good ring fins to flat draggy cylinders from an aerodynamic standpoint.

I’d keep the front pieces for display, but remove them for flight.

The front pieces are not glued on, so I can remove them. And I did airfoil the "through the wall" fins 🤨

Although with the shuttle being inverted, I wished I had thought ahead to make it TTW as well
I think I'm going to use that shuttle/tube joint for the lug, and put one on each side......

After all - Symmetry is important, right??? 🤣

Last edited:
Why not make the shuttle boxy with opened fore & aft so you have a rectangular/hexagonal tube fin?

Or change it to the Botany Bay in the proper tractored position?

Last edited:
I flew the rocket at the URRG launch today. Not certain whether it was my design changes, or the added nose weight, or the fact that I flew it on a D21, but it appeared to fly straight. I say "appeared" as Scotty kicked it to Warp 9! It was on the pad, then it was just UP!!! Note that the body tube is very short and I had difficulty fitting the chute in, which is why there is a slight gap at the nose cone joint. I did fly it without the nacelle covers. If I was to ever rebuild it, I would add at least a half inch of length (which would also assist in the stability)
IMG_0389.jpg
IMG_0388.jpg

After all the other rocket flights, I went back to refly it with the nacelle covers installed. I used the same motor so I only changed one variable at a time. I did notice that some of the external paint on the main body tube "bubbled" from the heat. What I failed to notice is the heat also damaged the shock cord. The cone separated, but everything landed ok with only minor damage that is easily repairable

Back