USSF Reaper - Space Defense Drone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelyEyed

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Cranked out this design today while I was waiting for the football games to start. Current version is 58 in long, 4 in. diameter with 54mm MMT, I'm not real happy with the nose cone, would like to do a custom 3D printed cone that looks more "stealthy." I welcome recommendations, especially since I don't own a 3D printer.

Steely

Attachments

• MDD3.jpg
    MDD3.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 0
  • MDD4.jpg
    MDD4.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 0
  • MDD5.jpg
    MDD5.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0
  • MDD6.jpg
    MDD6.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 0
  • MDD7.jpg
    MDD7.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 0
  • MDD2.jpg
    MDD2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
  • MDD8.jpg
    MDD8.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm not real happy with the nose cone, would like to do a custom 3D printed cone that looks more "stealthy."
What if you made something more custom with a plane cockpit shape? Quick sketch of a concept stealth nosecone attached… I would mock it up as a 3d model but busy atm

Edit: tweaked the design and added the rendered concept.

Attachments

• IMG_8001.jpeg
    IMG_8001.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • image_2024-01-29_17-29-29.png
    image_2024-01-29_17-29-29.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If you want something more "stealthy" think SR-71 and put chines all around it including the nose cone. Those big rear fins will still do the job, and not be upset by essentially running two small thin fins all the way to the front of the rocket.

I tried to get a stealthy looking cone, but I really had to lengthen it to make it look ok to me. It will have to be printed in 2 pieces.

This is a poor copy, its hard to work just from pictures. I did the scoop differently.

topish.jpg sideish.jpg

I agree… appropriately stealthy and menacing.

Only other comment is, I would rotate the NC 45 degrees so the sharp edges up/down and L/R. Wish I had time to build this bad boy…

I can do that easily in the model, I will also post the .stl file for those intrepid builders out there who want a pointy 4" nosecone.

last.jpg front.jpg

Attachments

• Spike cone.STL
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back