5.5 Goblin build for my L1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mago0

Reaction score
Haven't even been to a launch since ~2007 when the NRVR prefecture was created and I attended their first launch. If anyone that was in attendance, you may remember me as the grill operator - having caused a massive grease fire! Anyhow, I was in awe so it was only a matter of time before I tried my hand.

I went with a 5.5 Goblin and tried to take plenty of pictures along the way but did miss some steps along the way

Started off with a dry fit - no surprises there.
IMG_0197.jpeg

I had to do a little sanding to get the fin width correct for the motor mounts but they fit like a glove after that. I tacked the mmt rings in place with some CA glue. After watching an apogee instructional, I was inspired to flood the fin tube joint with epoxy. I used 30 minute BSI since that's what I had plenty of that on hand from mid-power builds.
IMG_0218.jpg
IMG_0222.jpg

I filled the spirals of the body tube with elmer's wood filler. Precision was not the name of the game on this one - which I regretted come time to sand. I should have done the fins at this time as well but lesson learned. Didn't get a picture of it after sanding.
IMG_0232.jpeg

Finally time to insert it into the body. There was a quite a buldge at the bottom ring so that would need to be remedied.
IMG_0236.jpeg

I picked up some West System 406 filler for all fillets moving forward. Let's just say that my first two were a bit liberal and sloppy in application.
IMG_0238.jpeg

Made some clamping blocks to get the body flush with the rings.
IMG_0239.jpeg

I did a much better job on the wing fillets. I taped off the area around the fins and used a large socket dipped in isopropyl alcohol to get the fillets smooth.
IMG_0241.jpeg

Finally time for primer
IMG_0308.jpeg

I wasn't happy with the roughness of the fillets so I hit them with Bondo glazing putty and a boat load of sanding. Then more sanding. It was awful.
IMG_0310.jpegIMG_0313.jpeg

I couldn't quite get rid of the nose ridge from sanding so I did it as well.
IMG_0311.jpeg

I finally realized I'd have to hit the fins with filler as well to get rid of those grains.
IMG_0385.jpeg

More primer - looking way better!
IMG_0390.jpeg

Time to put on the matte black finish coat and the rings.
IMG_0391.jpeg

IMG_0412.jpeg

Not shown are the 4x attempts at finishing the nose cone with what was ultimately the equivalent of a scratch-off ticket. Sanding and an alcohol rub-down were not enough. It wasn't until I water-boarded it with acetone that I finally got the pain to stick!

At this point, I decided I wanted a fancy motor retainer so I had to dremel off a ton of epoxy and installed that.
IMG_0628.jpeg

Next I built the mmt adapter using JB weld. I also 3d printed a ring to go on the face of the mmt because it seemed crazy to me that a single ring with no fillets mounted flush with the tube end (per instructions) was all that would be holding the motor back. It was a little extra peace of mind even if PLA has little heat tolerance.
IMG_0629.jpeg

The wooden retainer ring that fits inside the 54mm retainer barely allows the retainer to twist on so now I need an offset retainer to accomplish the task. Once again, I 3d printed something. This is the part I'm most concerned with for the launch. I CA glued aluminum foil on the backside to help stop some heat transfer but I don't know how much heat the retainer is exposed to. One alternative I thought of is 3d printing a mold to make the same retainer out of JB Steel Stik. Would love some feedback on this.IMG_0630.jpeg

IMG_0632.jpeg

Had to give it a name and since my other passion is Jiu Jitsu, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to name it after my favorite dirty move - the Wrist Lock! I have to admit that I'm embarrassed by my homemade stencil job. I did not expect the clear coat to stick to my stencil like it did so the Gears of War font looks rather organic from all the tearing. I plan on redoing it before launch.
IMG_0519.jpeg

I'll be flying it on a Cesaroni I-175 at the next NC Rocketry, Bayboro launch on the 27th and 28th.

Hope y'all enjoyed this. Feedback is always welcome and maybe I'll see some of you at the launch :)

Attachments

• IMG_7557.jpeg
    IMG_7557.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0631.jpeg
    IMG_0631.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0309.jpeg
    IMG_0309.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Haven't even been to a launch since ~2007 when the NRVR prefecture was created and I attended their first launch. If anyone that was in attendance, you may remember me as the grill operator - having caused a massive grease fire! Anyhow, I was in awe so it was only a matter of time before I tried my hand.

I went with a 5.5 Goblin and tried to take plenty of pictures along the way but did miss some steps along the way

View attachment 623592

I had to do a little sanding to get the fin width correct for the motor mounts but they fit like a glove after that. I tacked the mmt rings in place with some CA glue. After watching an apogee instructional, I was inspired to flood the fin tube joint with epoxy. I used 30 minute BSI since that's what I had plenty of that on hand from mid-power builds.
View attachment 623593
View attachment 623594

I filled the spirals of the body tube with elmer's wood filler. Precision was not the name of the game on this one - which I regretted come time to sand. I should have done the fins at this time as well but lesson learned. Didn't get a picture of it after sanding.
View attachment 623595

Finally time to insert it into the body. There was a quite a buldge at the bottom ring so that would need to be remedied.
View attachment 623596

I picked up some West System 406 filler for all fillets moving forward. Let's just say that my first two were a bit liberal and sloppy in application.
View attachment 623597

View attachment 623598

I did a much better job on the wing fillets. I taped off the area around the fins and used a large socket dipped in isopropyl alcohol to get the fillets smooth.
View attachment 623599

Finally time for primer
View attachment 623600

I wasn't happy with the roughness of the fillets so I hit them with Bondo glazing putty and a boat load of sanding. Then more sanding. It was awful.
View attachment 623602View attachment 623604

View attachment 623603

I finally realized I'd have to hit the fins with filler as well to get rid of those grains.
View attachment 623605

View attachment 623606

View attachment 623607

View attachment 623608

Not shown are the 4x attempts at finishing the nose cone with what was ultimately the equivalent of a scratch-off ticket. Sanding and an alcohol rub-down were not enough. It wasn't until I water-boarded it with acetone that I finally got the pain to stick!

At this point, I decided I wanted a fancy motor retainer so I had to dremel off a ton of epoxy and installed that.
View attachment 623614

Next I built the mmt adapter using JB weld. I also 3d printed a ring to go on the face of the mmt because it seemed crazy to me that a single ring with no fillets mounted flush with the tube end (per instructions) was all that would be holding the motor back. It was a little extra peace of mind even if PLA has little heat tolerance.
View attachment 623615

The wooden retainer ring that fits inside the 54mm retainer barely allows the retainer to twist on so now I need an offset retainer to accomplish the task. Once again, I 3d printed something. This is the part I'm most concerned with for the launch. I CA glued aluminum foil on the backside to help stop some heat transfer but I don't know how much heat the retainer is exposed to. One alternative I thought of is 3d printing a mold to make the same retainer out of JB Steel Stik. Would love some feedback on this.View attachment 623616

View attachment 623618

Had to give it a name and since my other passion is Jiu Jitsu, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to name it after my favorite dirty move - the Wrist Lock! I have to admit that I'm embarrassed by my homemade stencil job. I did not expect the clear coat to stick to my stencil like it did so the Gears of War font looks rather organic from all the tearing. I plan on redoing it before launch.
View attachment 623609

I'll be flying it on a Cesaroni I-175 at the next NC Rocketry, Bayboro launch on the 27th and 28th.

Hope y'all enjoyed this. Feedback is always welcome and maybe I'll see some of you at the launch :)
Nice
Glad you are back in the game, have fun

The most surprising thing to me was... how did you get so many pictures into one post :) ?

TRF always seems to block me when I try to put in too many pictures.

The most surprising thing to me was... how did you get so many pictures into one post :) ?

TRF always seems to block me when I try to put in too many pictures.

Was limited to 10. Maybe they changed it. I haven't tried for more than 10 in a long time.

Thanks, everyone! I'm still a little nervous about my 3d printed inner retaining ring since I don't know how much backwards force is created from the ejection charge. I reprinted it in PETG just in case. I think the launch is going to be cancelled for weather so I've got some time to figure it out.

Thanks, everyone! I'm still a little nervous about my 3d printed inner retaining ring since I don't know how much backwards force is created from the ejection charge. I reprinted it in PETG just in case. I think the launch is going to be cancelled for weather so I've got some time to figure it out.
Use one the ejection charge calculators that do pressure. Then you'll have a rough idea just based on volume size and amount of BP.

Why not just ground test it and find out?

Spoiler alert, it'll be fine. :)

View attachment 623592

View attachment 623593
View attachment 623594

View attachment 623595

View attachment 623596

View attachment 623597

View attachment 623598

View attachment 623599

Finally time for primer
View attachment 623600

View attachment 623602View attachment 623604

View attachment 623603

View attachment 623605

View attachment 623606

View attachment 623607

View attachment 623608

View attachment 623614

View attachment 623615

The wooden retainer ring that fits inside the 54mm retainer barely allows the retainer to twist on so now I need an offset retainer to accomplish the task. Once again, I 3d printed something. This is the part I'm most concerned with for the launch. I CA glued aluminum foil on the backside to help stop some heat transfer but I don't know how much heat the retainer is exposed to. One alternative I thought of is 3d printing a mold to make the same retainer out of JB Steel Stik. Would love some feedback on this.View attachment 623616

View attachment 623618

View attachment 623609

Very Cool!!

Michael B. 🚀

Use one the ejection charge calculators that do pressure. Then you'll have a rough idea just based on volume size and amount of BP.
Nice! I'll give that a go. If I can get the equivalent force, I can actually test the retainer. I realize I'm probably being overly paranoid. I swear I've seen folks retain motors with tape so I'm sure this seems silly.

I'm not sure how I'd ground test it since this is from a motor ejection charge but maybe that wasn't a serious comment?

Sanding is fun!! Try using a mouse sander, if you align the paper just so, it will get into every bit of a fillet.
Thanks, I'll definitely do that on the next build.

The launch was cancelled... I'll get it one of these days.

Nice! I'll give that a go. If I can get the equivalent force, I can actually test the retainer. I realize I'm probably being overly paranoid. I swear I've seen folks retain motors with tape so I'm sure this seems silly.

I'm not sure how I'd ground test it since this is from a motor ejection charge but maybe that wasn't a serious comment?

Not hard to ground test. Take the empty motor case, put an ematch up through the hole in the powder well, tape in BP equivalent to what the motor will have and set it off.

As was mentioned earlier, it's not hard to friction fit a motor. It doesn't really take as much friction as most folks think.

Not hard to ground test. Take the empty motor case, put an ematch up through the hole in the powder well, tape in BP equivalent to what the motor will have and set it off.

As was mentioned earlier, it's not hard to friction fit a motor. It doesn't really take as much friction as most folks think.
I didn’t see a friction fit comment but I’ll try to do that as well. Thanks for the technique - ill give it a go

Take your time, some things happen for a reason and its not your stupidity.

You're being smart about it, you'll get it. Have patience....lol. Seriously you'll be fine, don't overthink it. Up, then down under chute/drouge.

Good luck,

Michael B.

Update! The weather cooperated and we made it down to the Bayboro, NC launch. The was a beautiful day other than being a little windy. I did the L1 attempt on an I-175W and it went perfectly with a deployment dead on apogee at about 1000 feet (the inner motor retainer I was concerned about worked just fine).

As luck would have it, there was a fella there that sold me a reload kit for a J-415 and was nice enough to let me borrow the hardware as well. So the cherry on the cake was being able to take the L2 test and do that flight as well. That flight also went great with an ejection right at apogee as far as I could tell. That one went to roughly 3k feet and drifted about twice that 😄

Next up will be my L2 electronics flight and then onto the L3 build and attempt. I plan on doing both of those this year as well.

A few videos:
L1 launch
L2 launch
L2 lift-off

IMG_0719.PNG

Last edited:
Update! The weather cooperated and we made it down to the Bayboro, NC launch. The was a beautiful day other than being a little windy. I did the L1 attempt on an I-175W and it went perfectly with a deployment dead on apogee at about 1000 feet (the inner motor retainer I was concerned about worked just fine).

As luck would have it, there was a fella there that sold me a reload kit for a J-415 and was nice enough to let me borrow the hardware as well. So the cherry on the cake was being able to take the L2 test and do that flight as well. That flight also went great with an ejection right at apogee as far as I could tell. That one went to roughly 3k feet and drifted about twice that 😄

Next up will be my L2 electronics flight and then onto the L3 build and attempt. I plan on doing both of those this year as well.

A few videos:
L1 launch
L2 launch
L2 lift-off

View attachment 632647

Nice! Congratulations!

A few videos:
L1 launch
L2 launch
L2 lift-off

View attachment 632647
Congrats!

Two great flights congratulations. Very nice build. No need to be in a big hurry for your L3 flight. I just don't want you to be a flyer to get all levels very fast and never to be seen again

Two great flights congratulations. Very nice build. No need to be in a big hurry for your L3 flight. I just don't want you to be a flyer to get all levels very fast and never to be seen again

It probably does seem like I'm rushing but I really want to start flying on experimental motors and learn everything I can to reach some really high altitudes. I've got a humble start with a small dyno I created with an esp32 (I still need to toss my code up on GitHub) and a few test runs on a Loki Research 38mm motor. I've also finished an esp32 based flight computer as well and plan to have it piggy-back with the two commercial altimeters on the L3 flight. I could make lengthy post about each of these - both very fun projects that will evolve. All this to say, I have every intention of sticking around for a very long time!

It probably does seem like I'm rushing but I really want to start flying on experimental motors and learn everything I can to reach some really high altitudes. I've got a humble start with a small dyno I created with an esp32 (I still need to toss my code up on GitHub) and a few test runs on a Loki Research 38mm motor. I've also finished an esp32 based flight computer as well and plan to have it piggy-back with the two commercial altimeters on the L3 flight. I could make lengthy post about each of these - both very fun projects that will evolve. All this to say, I have every intention of sticking around for a very long time!
Everything you mentioned here can be done at L1 and L2 levels, maybe even MPR levels too.... just sayin'.

Sounds like your going to have a lot of fun.

Everything you mentioned here can be done at L1 and L2 levels, maybe even MPR levels too.... just sayin'.
That was a big oversight on my part. I mistakenly thought I needed to be L3 to fly experimental so thanks for pointing that out.

Back