Polecat 5.5" Nike Smoke Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For my 16th birthday, my parents bought me a Polecat Nike Smoke that I flew a handful of times before its ultimate demise. It made an appearance in Rockets Magazine and the corresponding Rockets Magazine DVD for Airfest 18. As you can imagine, that was a bit of dream come true for me as a rocketry-loving teenager.

At BALLS last year, my buddy Bryce happened to have a 5.5" dual deploy example for sale with a 75mm motor mount, which is the exact same spec as my first one. I couldn't resist buying one since I squandered my last chance to get one when Madcow had some in stock before selling off Polecat. Join me on this nostalgia trip as a I re-live my teenage dreams and, hopefully relatively soon, finally get the chance to see my black Nike Smoke (paint job stolen from Neil McGilvray of rockets magazine, of course) fly on an M motor!

Just like the first one, it got tip to tip fiberglass on the fins. It was my first time really spending time on filling glass weave and sanding my soul away. So, obviously, I had to do it again.

Here's the first video in this installment along with a bunch of construction pictures.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 0
For my 16th birthday, my parents bought me a Polecat Nike Smoke that I flew a handful of times before its ultimate demise. It made an appearance in Rockets Magazine and the corresponding Rockets Magazine DVD for Airfest 18. As you can imagine, that was a bit of dream come true for me as a rocketry-loving teenager.

At BALLS last year, my buddy Bryce happened to have a 5.5" dual deploy example for sale with a 75mm motor mount, which is the exact same spec as my first one. I couldn't resist buying one since I squandered my last chance to get one when Madcow had some in stock before selling off Polecat. Join me on this nostalgia trip as a I re-live my teenage dreams and, hopefully relatively soon, finally get the chance to see my black Nike Smoke (paint job stolen from Neil McGilvray of rockets magazine, of course) fly on an M motor!

Just like the first one, it got tip to tip fiberglass on the fins. It was my first time really spending time on filling glass weave and sanding my soul away. So, obviously, I had to do it again.

Here's the first video in this installment along with a bunch of construction pictures.

Nice!!!

I miss my 5.5 and 7.5, but I still have my 10

Fin to fin on a Nike just makes me smile, not sure why but it does. :)

You know...I still have never built a Nike Smoke...I need to remedy that someday.

Now the fun part. Filling, sanding, priming, filling, sanding, priming on repeat until it's perfect or I quite rocketry altogether.

In reality, it's pretty close with the exception of some minor nicks and, unfortunately for me, a few paint runs. I take it personally when I have paint issues, but it is what it is. After all, if a rocket looks TOO perfect, you're likely not going to see it again after it flies. I don't need that bad juju.

Video number 2:

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 0
It was great to meet you at B31, I was the guy flying the Polecat FatMan. I truly hope you put a video camera on this build, it should be an epic flight.

Back