SystemsGo SETX Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2) Can you have your teacher / mentor contact me, I would be interested in talking to them. You can PM me to get my contact info. I would like to talk to them about the objectives.

To the original poster. This request is a terrible idea.

Does your wife call your boss asking that s/he take it easy on you at work? Same concept.
The student is old enough to deal with this himself.
I want to see what they were serving for lunch in the cafeteria today.....

I have worked with a number of groups on builds, stem, mentoring etc. Plus am very familiar with molding foam, I owned a company that molded foam for aerospace applications. I was trying to figure out the overall objectives of this effort relative to STEM, and relative to the SystemsGo Tsiolkovsky Level.

I was also planning to discuss some basic safety strategies with molding and molded foam, and as importantly sanding / machining the foam, trying to keep kids safe. Inhalation and sanded foam particles in the eyes can be a bigger problem than people think. This is a MDI based system, there are some issues with handling it and puts out some not good for you things when it burns. Not good to mold / pour this inside without very good ventilation - actual respirator / exhaust fans. Molding it in trapped cavities can cause VERY high pressures and cause the uncured foam to spray - fast and far. Plus the detection limits for the MDI are high relative to the exposure limits (if you smell it you have already gotten too much of it). Just wanted the teacher to look at the best way to handle it uncured and cured.

Or I could just say the student is old enough to read and understand a MSDS and the proper use of PPE and what a code 3 for a CAS is themself. I could ask my wife to call if that is better.

I have already given my advice to the student, if they follow it or not, that is up to them. If they are successful or not isn't my problem, but when I see a safety concern I figure I would help out, privately, by just talking to the teacher. I asked to see the written instructions to see if the students were provided some safety guidance.

Last edited:
Back