Wildman Acquiring Composite warehouse Kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread certainly reinforces the adage that no good deed goes unpunished.

For my part, I'll be happy to deal with Tim in the future instead of playing Curtis Roulette, regardless of the default color (which I'd expect to be red, since it's been a trademark of Wildman tubing for quite a while).
I certainly mean no negativity in my posts and I am excited for the future of fiberglass rockets. My understanding of the past was @WILDMANRS was not filament winding in house and the dye was out of their control. Given the news of the mandrel and machines I wanted to give my preference and reasoning behind it. Tim said he is planning different options so all is good!

This thread certainly reinforces the adage that no good deed goes unpunished.

For my part, I'll be happy to deal with Tim in the future instead of playing Curtis Roulette, regardless of the default color (which I'd expect to be red, since it's been a trademark of Wildman tubing for quite a while).
Some people would bitch if you hanged them with an old rope.

I got back into rockets late last year, when CW was fading. I recall looking at his website a couple times. Does anyone have an old list of rocket kits that were produced that we might look forward to once @WILDMANRS gets production back up and running?

I thought they might have a 2-stage Nike/something with a 75mm in the booster and 54mm in the sustainer.

If anyone has info on the old CW kits, I’d love if you could share. Thanks.

Edited after proofreading.

The red tubes are definitely cool and a classic wildman look.

However, I think white would be a very nice “standard” tube color. Reason being is if you want to paint a scale kit (which CW has a lot of), it eliminates the need to prime the red tubes in order to get accurate colors when you spray the final coats on.

My reasons are more theoretical than perceived. Except for causing stains which are “real”, I have no evidence the dye causes any harm. I am in a position of ignorance and maybe it is a functional part of the resin. I doubt that though and suspect it is an aesthetic additive which to me only has a downside.
Maybe Tim can comment more and give some information.
OK... I still see nothing but an opinion--nothing else to respond to. However, as for as I'm concerned the translucent red is a great product, which I have used several times, without issues.

I have just cleared the red many times, and I think it looks great. But then again, all my vehicles are red, all of my bows are red accents, I love the parade scheme on a Mig 15.

Last edited:
Some of us really hate to paint, and colored FG is a big plus for us. Red FG and black fins/NC? I got a whole bunch like that... and a bunch of unpainted "natural" FG, too.

Some people need to learn to use the multiquote feature.

1709008835557.png

I am currently moving and did not have a chance to reply. I am one of the customers who only wants natural color fiberglass. I agree it is pre mature but I can give my two cents as something to consider.

I view the dye as completely unnecessary and I avoid it when possible.

1. I worry the dye could add some toxicity or carcinogens to any already precarious material from a health and safety angle. I try to wear PPE but it is far from perfect so why introduce extra hazards.

I understand the dye might be the least dangerous ingredient in a tube but still, why add it? (If you could disclose what the dye is or provide an MSDS that would alleviate my concern.)

2. The dye could weaken the resin if not added correctly. It’s another ingredient that needs to be “done right”.

3. It adds mess. When I clean up from a project I often use solvents and the dye leaves nasty stains.

This is just my opinion and none of this is a show stopper for me. I wish you luck in getting the equipment up and running and excited for your success.
I scratched my head when you said you worry about dye. You totally lost me when you then said you clean with solvents. With that kind of flawed logic in your argument, I feel safe disregarding anything else you might try to convince me of.

Tim's tubes are red. It's his "thing". Some like it. Some don't. Just like natural fg. Some like that and some don't. If you don't like it, buy something else, or learn how to paint. Don't know what else to say, except this whole thing is a silly argument to have. Especially since Tim has said he'll make whatever color you'd like, as long as you're willing to pay the extra costs for it (so you have a third option).

Good luck Tim!

I scratched my head when you said you worry about dye. You totally lost me when you then said you clean with solvents. With that kind of flawed logic in your argument, I feel safe disregarding anything else you might try to convince me of.

Tim's tubes are red. It's his "thing". Some like it. Some don't. Just like natural fg. Some like that and some don't. If you don't like it, buy something else, or learn how to paint. Don't know what else to say, except this whole thing is a silly argument to have. Especially since Tim has said he'll make whatever color you'd like, as long as you're willing to pay the extra costs for it (so you have a third option).

Good luck Tim!
I prep joints with sanding and solvent cleans and clean up epoxy with solvents. The dye can cause messes with that. (I have yet to have a joint fail knock on wood, though none of my rockets fly that fast or have had severe crashes yet.) I am more concerned with potential hazards albeit I think the chances of it being an issue are low.

Anyway my preference is like coffee. I prefer it black and then add sugar if I want it. Pre-sugared coffee is not for everyone. I view manufacturing the same way with dye. It seems logical to leave an unnecessary ingredient out, but without knowing more, it is possible the dye has a function.

I do not want to belabor this and if I have to wait or pay extra a little extra for a natural tube, I am fine with that.

He is only fulfilling paid orders
I’m still waiting for mine from April 2022… After I posted here earlier I was contacted by Curtis and assured he was going to ship me my order… I have given up at this time, told him he won, took my money and provided nothing but empty promises. Seems slightly sadistic to keep contacting me to assure me he’ll fill the order but then nothing… Either way I wish him success as long as it keeps him away from the hobby. And also good on Tim for recognizing the opportunity, I’ll be ordering with confidence now…

Bingo...
It seems logical to leave an unnecessary ingredient out, but without knowing more, it is possible the dye has a function.
Having the dye GREATLY improves your ability to monitor the "wet out" of the glass fibers. [Some colors more than others.] But Tim's "translucent red" is a really good choice for that.

Bingo...

Having the dye GREATLY improves your ability to monitor the "wet out" of the glass fibers. [Some colors more than others.] But Tim's "translucent red" is a really good choice for that.
That is interesting but not sure what you mean. Are you referring to adding additional glass? The original process of winding? Or wetting the fibers already in the composite?

Back