What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my order of LPR body tubes from Ausrocketry. That means I can make a start on my Radical Rocketry Thunderbird 3 kit. Read the instructions/guidance for that also.

I have a council appeal in a couple of weeks so I am spending a lot of time prepping for that. Will get to TB3 after that I think.

Just a heads up for the Aussies here - we do sell standard Custom Rocketry and Apogee tubes. 🤔

That's a really fun little motor, just the right size for lots of flying, and (relatively) affordable.
Main reason for it is the maiden flight of my Interceptor E. I have a couple of QJet E motors but with a somewhat questionable launch-rod-velocity I decided that F motors might be advisable.

Placed an order with LOC for parts to rebuild the "Possum Express" - 54mm body/38mm engine. I snapped the body in two just above the fin can. I was thinking about building a new aft section, but I think I'll try repairing the old one first.

Got struggled again trying to put the water slide decals on the McDonnell Douglas rocket and I have just flat give up after four tries. I'm not happy, but it was a decent effort at restoring a 40 year old rocket. I was hoping to be able to show the guy that gave me the rocket the final results, but I haven't been getting any returned emails so I believe he's passed away

bqFAAjH.jpg

Got struggled again trying to put the water slide decals on the McDonnell Douglas rocket and I have just flat give up after four tries. I'm not happy, but it was a decent effort at restoring a 40 year old rocket. I was hoping to be able to show the guy that gave me the rocket the final results, but I haven't been getting any returned emails so I believe he's passed away

bqFAAjH.jpg
If it's any comfort, that one's much closer to perfect than the Maxi Alpha. I had to zoom in all the way to see it.

I don't know if you're already doing this: one can draw a light pencil line right on the paint to align the edge of a decal. Just be sure not to cover the line, and then you can erase it.

All in all, I call that an excellent job despite the MINOR decal misalignment.

If it's any comfort, that one's much closer to perfect than the Maxi Alpha. I had to zoom in all the way to see it.

I don't know if you're already doing this: one can draw a light pencil line right on the paint to align the edge of a decal. Just be sure not to cover the line, and then you can erase it.

All in all, I call that an excellent job despite the MINOR decal misalignment.
Thanks Joe, I just had a talk with my wife about letting her do all of this detail work, with my hands screwed up, but usually I'm too damn stubborn to ask her.

I feel your pain. Built an Interceptor, Interceptor E, and Interceptor G. Those decals...:haironfire:

Still working on the Venus Probe. I finished the plane. It is a 2.2" BT, 41" long and weighs 19 ounces with a chute. The tail fins are 1/4" hard balsa. The wings are 1/4 ply. Has a 29mm mmt. When I do a fade I start at the bottom and work up. Painted the whole thing in an hour. I'm still at a loss at what to do next besides the rubber chicken rocket. Anybody have an idea? Here is the plane and the chicken.
20230301_105126[2100].jpg20230228_175814[2097].jpg

Finished sanding the CWF gunk off the sprials of the 8 outside tubes of the Saturn 1b purchased from Estes President's Day sale. Plus the upper and lower BTs. Yes, that is a total of 10 tubes. The first one I sanded was the bottom tube. It was a disappointment. It had some gaps. Fortunately, it was the worst one. Tomorrow I will take a look and see what needs to be done for the " touch up". Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Attachments

• 20230301_174745.heic
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Nope, scratch build with Estes PSII 2.5" tubing and nosecone. 1/8" ply rings and fins cut myself, and Stickershock vinyl. Separates in the middle and has a baffle. Love flying it. So far I've flown it on a F52C, G53FJ, G64W, G75M, and that G76G and all have been perfect. I think it's time to throw a baby H in it.
A baby H would would do well. What altitude have you attained on the G motors with it? Also, where do you get the Stickershock vinyl from. That must really be easier than masking and painting the black areas on that rocket.

I'm still at a loss at what to do next besides the rubber chicken rocket. Anybody have an idea?
My earlier quips about incorporating the number 200 for your 200th were only half in jest. A rocket that's 200 cm tall and 200 mm in diameter, for instance. Or designed for the Aerotech I200 motor.

A baby H would would do well. What altitude have you attained on the G motors with it? Also, where do you get the Stickershock vinyl from. That must really be easier than masking and painting the black areas on that rocket.

1300' feet or so on the Gs.

Vinyl here.... https://stickershock23.com/product/nike-x/

Product picture is the same rocket 😃 Very easy to apply vs painting.

1677725787908.png

Did a few decals on the big daddy with a 38mm motor mount. The sim for the 38/480 motor will outfly the waiver of the club I fly at. I'll have to switch to a 38/360 to keep it under 6,000 ft. Not pictured is the "bulkhead" between the fwd end of the motor and the main chute in the nose.
Also, I'm very happy with the way the nose insert turned out.

I had a batch of propellant sitting under vacuum all night. I put it back in the mixer, added curative, mixed and vacuumed again. Then packed four 75mm grains and had enough left for a couple 38mm grains.

Also had a rocket club BOD meeting and a club meeting.

Guess I got more rocket stuff done today than I thought!

Back