What do you do (or did) for a living?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we got to England I couldn't break 90. Barley kept under 100. Started working at the base golf course. When we left I was a 3 handicap. Shot in the low 80's at Carnoustie and the Old Course at St Andrews. Both British Open courses. After I retired from the golf business and had to pay to play scores went up. Now I only play once a year with my friends in Oregon. Don't play so well now. But I have hope every time I tee it up.
Last time I played the Old Course it was £25. 40 years ago....

Well.....before I settled into a position at PartsUnknown University And Bar And Grill, Mountain Fries Our Speciality:
  • washed dishes in a restaurant. In the 70s, when parts of those bake-n-serve loaves came back untouched, it was tossed in to make turkey dressing the next day. Did you want to know about the dishes of vegetables, or the uneaten ham/beef/turkey/gravy that came back? I didn't think so...
  • nailed heels on shoes and went home stinky and dusty every day.
  • helped my cousin lay carpet & vinyl 2 summers. Learned enough to have professionals do our living room.;) Also helped him build his house.
  • spent the occasional Friday night as helper on an 18-wheeler. One driver found out I was an astronomy nut and went crazy, we talked so much that the work ended quickly. He ended up sticking me in the driver's seat for a little while. Okay, I asked for it. Kinda fun, really.
  • loaded and hauled lumber locally. Splinters galore. That summer I and the other kid unloaded a railcar of lumber. Not fun in July.
  • teaching assistant/lab assistant/whatever, kept 1st year chem students from damaging one another (I was a sophomore).
  • promoted to stockroom/prep tech because (tooting my📯 cuz I'm proud of it) no one in the entire dept knew as much about practical prep of solutions as I did. The Pchem prof was so glad to be able to hand me a list of what was needed, and forget about it. Trusted me more than she did the gen chem prof.🤣
  • clerk at a Golden Pantry in Athens GA. Evenings and weekends. In a less-desirable section of town. (following may have appeared before, sorry) Third-most-important event was on the first week. Some idiot drove off with the gas spout still in place. Pulled over a pump. Fire at the base. I'm 22, of COURSE I panic! Hit OFF button, grab extinguisher, pull pin...it's empty. Run back inside, grab another extinguisher...it's empty too. Run across street to gas station, grab theirs, lug it across street. Fire is out. Someone with less panic-in-the-brain dumped a bag of ice on the fire. I did that job for two summers and weekends full time and a semester part-time. Never occurred to me to quit.
  • took census in summer 1980 cuz the college not only hired you for 9 months, they paid you on that arrangement. Summers were tough. In eastern KY. Y'all know how some rocketeers can go on and on about their rockets and flights? No?🤣 Well son, it happens. And other people have the same attitudes about their activities. You have not lived until you've heard an old guy go on about the dozens of clogging steps that existed. Or had an 80yo appear at the front door with dribbles of tobacco juice down each side of her chin. I was told of workers who got stopped on backwoods roads, by guys carrying guns (moonshining is undoubtedly still big there, as it still is in Land Between The Lakes).
Planning on moving back there soon. When the world ends, eastern KY will still be at least 40 years behind the times, so I'll be fine till I die.🤣

In all seriousness: most of this s**t was not fun. But I was paid $2 or a bit more per hour, back when big-store bread was around 25-50 cents a loaf; call it six loaves an hour. Expecting people to do any kind of work, let alone that kind of rough/dangerous/scut work, for less than two loaves an hour is unconscionable. Especially at today's artificially-inflated and shrinkflated prices of EVERYthing. Yeah, I just preached...we can have it out at LDRS if ya want.🤣:angiefavorite:
I miss Kentucky and TN. Always wanted to move back but with my shrinking reserve of years I don't think it will happen.

I had a job in a mailroom one summer that probably ruined me. We'd get done with our work by maybe 1 PM most days, and I'd be itching to do something. The other guys, who were close to retirement, told me to just take it easy. I felt funny, but I read several novels at work that summer. I even got most of the way through Gravity's Rainbow. We had an unusual, two week heat wave, and sometimes I'd hang around some biology lab space that had been set up but not yet occupied. Nice and cool. The air conditioning in our

Have that book for over two years.
Made it almost halfway through. Still grinding away at it.....

Back