What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started gluing up a 2.6" motor mount for the Fat Boy/Diablo rocket, this one will take a "C" motor. The other one will have a "D" motor mount in it.

I have no idea what #200 will be. I haven't thought that far ahead. I have only done DMS motors so an I 280 wouldn't work. The chicken rocket I haven't drawn a plan yet. Just a loose idea. BT60 up through the middle of the chicken. A transition to a BT80. 29mm mmt. Break at the transition. Now that the fin shape has been brought up I'll see if I get an inspiration. I just had one. I like it. The Easter eggs I bought as fin tips. The Venus probe has given me fits. The balsa warped and wouldn't flatten out. I've painted the fins three times and sanded it off and I still don't like it. Sloppy. I'm going to cut the fin can off and rebuild it with the parts I have on hand. 18mm BT, 29mm BT and make a coupler out of a 18mm tube. Replace the balsa fins with 1/8th plywood. I find that scratch building is easier than kits. At least this kit. I haven't built a kit in a couple of years. I have a few. Next time my mind draws a blank I might build another one.

Prepped a 38mm mandrel on my BBQ rotisserie for rolling a short f/glass body tube for the "Fluster Cluck" build project.

Decided to wrap the mandrel in plumber's PTFE tape instead of the usual baking paper. Slower to do but a tighter and better fit. Going to use 4 wraps of 135g/sq.m. F/Glass cloth.

My rocket buddy recons it wont work as he thinks it wont slide off the mandrel. Anyone got experience with this technique?

Body tube roll pic1.jpgBody tube roll pic2.jpg

More glue on the motor mount. I'm using Super Glue brand "wood glue" I bought at the dollar store. Should br good enough for LP "C" motors.

1. Added 1-1/8" & 1-1/4" Filleting Tools to the set to gain 9/16" & 5/8" fillet radius options.

2023-03-04 20.47.44.jpg

2. Started drafting up my design for converting a Rockwell JawStand XP to a suitable 1515 launch pad.
It's going to be really, really nice! :D

FYI: Here are the minimum rocket diameters you can fly on a 1010 vs a 1515 given the 4.5" "base" of the 45/45 right triangle, and a 4-Fin design...

Using 1020 as the base piece: Approximately a 55mm diameter airframe with 4 fins assuming the fins are no thicker than the rail-button stand-off distance.
Using 1530 as the base piece: Approximately 38mm diameter airframe, 4 fins </= thickness of rail button stand-off.

If thicker fins, then increment the airframe diameter by the fin thickness delta above the rail button stand-off dimension.

2023-03-04 19.24.28.jpg

Last edited:
@kuririn I watched some of the feed. Even tried to help the kid talking about missing the spacer (in the comments). Had to run before the Dynastar <something> launched. You had starter issues. Too many people kept blocking the feed. @Ronz Rocketz should place the feed camera out in the field looking down the line where people won't block it!

Great 'seeing' you'!

@kuririn I watched some of the feed. Even tried to help the kid talking about missing the spacer (in the comments). Had to run before the Dynastar <something> launched. You had starter issues. Too many people kept blocking the feed. @Ronz Rocketz should place the feed camera out in the field looking down the line where people won't block it!

Great 'seeing' you'!

Thanks Jeff.
Some of us weren't aware of the live streaming, so sorry for the blockage.
I had separation issues.
Need to get stronger hardware.
But Rons' compilation video should be fun.

Finished a joint project between Joshua Drummond and myself....a 3X upscale of the Estes Bandit. Many thanks to Mark Hayes for the decals

Attachments

• 16779863557406910915055383272895.jpg
    16779863557406910915055383272895.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
I cut out the new fins for the Venus Probe. Using 1/8th ply. Cut the back end off the rocket. Ripped the fins off and the BT off the mmt. I had to take some paper off the rings to get a 29mm tube on. At this point I'm putting that rocket on hold. I am going to work on the chicken rocket instead.

Figured out how to do something I've wanted to do for a long time, but thought wasn't possible. The solution is awesomely elegant. I went from, "I wonder what could be done with that, if anything? Why don't I go look at the hardware..." this afternoon to functional parts in my hands this evening that I could glue into a rocket and fly.

And in other news, got the last fin glued and filleted on my 18mm MD 3FNC project. Finish is applied and it looks way cooler than I thought it would. So cool I immediately upscaled it to 3 inches in OR and decided that will be my L1 build. Letting the 18mm sit for a week inside a "Don't F with it" bubble for things to fully cure.

Happy nerd tonight.

Back