What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still working on the Venus Probe. I finished the plane. It is a 2.2" BT, 41" long and weighs 19 ounces with a chute. The tail fins are 1/4" hard balsa. The wings are 1/4 ply. Has a 29mm mmt. When I do a fade I start at the bottom and work up. Painted the whole thing in an hour. I'm still at a loss at what to do next besides the rubber chicken rocket. Anybody have an idea? Here is the plane and the chicken.
View attachment 566250View attachment 566251
Nice fin a
1300' feet or so on the Gs.

Vinyl here.... https://stickershock23.com/product/nike-x/

Product picture is the same rocket 😃 Very easy to apply vs painting.
Thank you for the Info.:)

I don’t spend to much time in here. The more time I spend here the less time I have in building rockets. I do like some of the chats though with opinions on how to build something. A lot of people with great ideas.

The quote was posted randomly in another thread. Moving the quote here to not jack that thread.

I recently saw myself doing that exactly. My addiction to collecting information about rockets overran the time I'd planned to spend building a rocket. Kinda lame. Need to work on focusing my efforts and actions.

Nearly three years ago I joined the Forum and began a build thread of my LOC IV for my L1 (and some dual deploy mods to use later on). I was literally a day or two away from attending a HP rocketry meet across the state when my Mom called me to tell me my Father had passed after a short illness.

Rocketry had to take a back seat for a while, but a nearby rocketry friend set me up with a mid-power motor and took me out for a Father's Day launch at a local field, re-igniting my interest in going for my L1 at another fly in later that summer.

Then my landlord called me to say he was selling the house I lived in. I had made that little house my home for the last eighteen years, so that was hard, but I got through it. Just a couple months after getting settled in to my new home I caught COVID v1.0 just a week or so after Patient Zero did a few miles away. I didn't have healthcare (it slipped away while dealing with my Father's death) and I had to gut it out at home and it nearly killed me. The recovery was long and difficult, but I'm getting through it.

Then my Mom passed away. Between losing my Dad and the isolation of the pandemic, it was all just too much.

Yesterday I disassembled the Super LOC IV and downloaded the Missileworks software, as well as the Rocksim demo and OpenRocket software and am preparing to rebuild my .ORK files and rocket data so I can run some simulations (I lost all the files in the move).

I'm excited again and looking forward to the flying season and maybe getting a mid-power kit for open launches at the local field and updating my memberships.

It's good to be back :)

Last edited:
Nearly three years ago I joined the Forum and began a build thread of my LOC IV for my L1 (and some dual deploy mods to use later on). I was literally a day or two away from attending a HP rocketry meet across the state when my Mom called me to tell me my Father had passed after a short illness.

Rocketry had to take a back seat for a while, but a nearby rocketry friend set me up with a mid-power motor and took me out for a Father's Day launch at a local field, re-igniting my interest in going for my L1 at another fly in later that summer.

Then my landlord called me to say he was selling the house I lived in. I had made that little house my home for the last eighteen years, so that was hard, but I got through it. Just a couple months after getting settled in to my new home I caught COVID v1.0 just a week or so after Patient Zero did a few miles away. I didn't have healthcare (it slipped away while dealing with my Father's death) and I had to gut it out at home and it nearly killed me. The recovery was long and difficult, but I'm getting through it.

Then my Mom passed away. Between losing my Dad and the isolation of the pandemic, it was all just too much.

Yesterday I disassembled the Super LOC IV and downloaded the Missileworks software, as well as the Rocksim and OpenRocket software and am preparing to rebuild my .ORK files and rocket data so I can run some simulations (I lost all the files in the move).

I'm excited again and looking forward to the flying season and maybe getting a mid-power kit for open launches at the local field and updating my memberships.

WOW, what a ride you've been. Go get that L1 this spring.

• Prepped rockets
  • Tried to make some conductive starters. Failed. I rarely give up. :) Bought new acetone. Nope.
  • Printed a sled for my Mini-WiFi switch and a Quark with battery holder... eh... its okay. Might work well.
  • Sold a very expensive eyepiece on Astromart. Used the proceeds to buy CTI motors from Animal Works. All 29mm cept for some 1G 38mms
  • Also bought from the proceeds some F40 reloads and an few EconoJets off ebay for about 2/3rds the normal online prices. Thats what 'bargains' are nowadays I guess.
  • Cut the body tubes for a Radical Rocketry Thunderbird 3 - contemplating a build thread... in parallel with the Deuces 29 which is taking a bit longer

Yesterday I disassembled the Super LOC IV and downloaded the Missileworks software, as well as the Rocksim demo and OpenRocket software and am preparing to rebuild my .ORK files and rocket data so I can run some simulations (I lost all the files in the move).

It's impossible to choose one emoji for your post, they all apply. Wow, what a tough 3 years.

It's great to hear you're back and excited, here's to some great flying fun. :cheers:

Holy Crap, dude! It's good to see your life is on the mend. I hope socializing this virtual community can help. And in your local real life communities, rocket or otherwise.
Welcome back.

Put the final clear coat on Jughead's new fincan. This rocket started out as a 5" jart with a donut avbay and a 18" payload tube added, which made it overweight for the fins that extended past the retainer. After many fin repairs, including a tip to tip layup, I retired this rocket for a few years. Last year I bought a 5" by 60" Curtis Turner fiberglass tube and some 3/16" G10 plate and built a new fincan for this old rocket.
Here are the results:

2023-03-02 Jughead finished.jpg
I intentionally left the N/C and payload tube in shadow, because the five year old paint doesn't match the new fincan, yet.
Extending the fincan will allow a full sized 75/10,000 snap ring casing to fit, and Jughead gained eight pounds in the process.
This morning I cut a 16 ft. piece of 1/2" Kevlar off the roll and started making a new drogue shock cord. Added a Sperachutes apex drogue and started sewing up a Nomex pocket to store it all in.

Then I went shopping, but that story will go in the other thread....

Attached the 3D printed rail guides to my 3D printed + mailing tubes rocket. That's the last construction step! There will probably be some finishing work before Red Glare, but I'm not going to put a ton of effort into something designed to be cheap.

• Prepped rockets
  • Tried to make some conductive starters. Failed. I rarely give up. :) Bought new acetone. Nope.
  • Printed a sled for my Mini-WiFi switch and a Quark with battery holder... eh... its okay. Might work well.
  • Sold a very expensive eyepiece on Astromart. Used the proceeds to buy CTI motors from Animal Works. All 29mm cept for some 1G 38mms
  • Also bought from the proceeds some F40 reloads and an few EconoJets off ebay for about 2/3rds the normal online prices. Thats what 'bargains' are nowadays I guess.
  • Cut the body tubes for a Radical Rocketry Thunderbird 3 - contemplating a build thread... in parallel with the Deuces 29 which is taking a bit longer
Did u design one yourself (3d printed stuff) or grab a design online? I've been trying to get my brain around Steve Thatcher's (SMT Designs) modular AV bay stuff which is excellent, but confusing at first

Did u design one yourself (3d printed stuff) or grab a design online? I've been trying to get my brain around Steve Thatcher's (SMT Designs) modular AV bay stuff which is excellent, but confusing at first
His designs, AFAICT are completely undocumented (correct me PLEASE if I am wrong). So I completely skipped them. He has like 1000 files out there.
No this a flat plate with a box for a battery and a hole for the battery connector. You have mark, drill, and stall standoffs on you own. It is simplistic. Because I am just using tickercad... and barely at that!

Attached the 3D printed rail guides to my 3D printed + mailing tubes rocket. That's the last construction step! There will probably be some finishing work before Red Glare, but I'm not going to put a ton of effort into something designed to be cheap.
I just am scared 3D printed guides will separate at a layer line.

His designs, AFAICT are completely undocumented (correct me PLEASE if I am wrong). So I completely skipped them. He has like 1000 files out there.
No this a flat plate with a box for a battery and a hole for the battery connector. You have mark, drill, and stall standoffs on you own. It is simplistic. Because I am just using tickercad... and barely at that!
I have been accumulating some documentation (well, notes for my swiss cheese brain is more accurate). I started with a mind map of his general nomenclature, and then I found this https://www.smtdesigns.com/store/images/uploaded/docs/filename_doc_v1.0.pdf which describes the file naming convention he uses on tinkercad. I've noticed a few exceptions, but I can usually tell what he meant. That has helped a LOT. However, I haven't seen anything that describes the sizes of heat press inserts that he uses. I'm guessing that once I print a couple, I'll be able to tell what sizes to use. I'm probably going to contact him and ask about that, and any other info he might have. I know releasing all this stuff is a big effort and is time consuming for him so I thought maybe I could help by compiling some of the info.

Making temp mounts for two Pico A1 v2 alts. No pics right now, iPad died a horrible death. Soon to be Zombie Pad. I have a soldering iron…

I just screwed up $15 worth of graphics from sticker shock on the maxi alpha as both of them ended up being crooked, and once they're down you're done. I'm mad enough to smack every grandmother right in the mouth.
Sorry to hear that... next time try laying down some blue tape first (making sure it's aligned straight) and then apply the vinyl just shy of it.

Here are the results:
View attachment 566432
I intentionally left the N/C and payload tube in shadow, because the five year old paint doesn't match the new fincan, yet.
IMHO, the change from gloss black to satin dark grey looks good.

Made some progress on the Sasha (wife has had some health issues requiring several trips to the Dr so rocket building has slowed down some). Was able to swing by the LHS today and found an interesting LP kit from a company called Starlight.
View attachment 566461 View attachment 566462
👍 for making progress and the nifty looking F-32.
:( for the health issues.

Still working on the Venus Probe. I finished the plane. It is a 2.2" BT, 41" long and weighs 19 ounces with a chute. The tail fins are 1/4" hard balsa. The wings are 1/4 ply. Has a 29mm mmt. When I do a fade I start at the bottom and work up. Painted the whole thing in an hour. I'm still at a loss at what to do next besides the rubber chicken rocket. Anybody have an idea? Here is the plane and the chicken.
View attachment 566250View attachment 566251
What's the plan on the chicken rocket?

Hen house/"chicken ranch" fins? ;)

Back