What are you listening to?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weekend jam!

1. Hero - Weezer
  2. Hero Of The Day - Metallica
  3. Heroes - Dead Sara
  4. Hey Look Ma, I Made It - Panic! At The Disco
  5. Hey Man, Nice Shot - Filter
  6. Hey You - Pink Floyd
  7. Hey You - Disturbed
  8. High Enough - Damn Yankees
  9. High Hopes - Panic! At The Disco
  10. Higher - Creed
  11. Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers
  12. Highway to Hell - AC/DC
  13. Highway to Hell - Tom Morello
  14. History of Violence - Theory of a Deadman
  15. Hit The Lights - Metallica
  16. Hold on to Memories - Disturbed
  17. Hole Hearted - Extreme

I love the timeline of this statement.

Old folks like ma'self remember it a little differently. For me it's more like "I used to have it on vinyl, and then I made a cassette copy, then many years later I got it on CD, and now many more years later I have an mp3 file (which I may or may not have burned off a youtube video)." I have not yet made it full circle to buying vinyl again.....from my perspective it's a bit weird. In the end it's all good.....great music is still great music on whatever medium you choose.

s6
I'm glad I was able to give you a grin. I recently invested in a turntable: Schiit Sol. Managed to snag one right before they discontinued it. (They still have a few left for sale for those interested.) I have rounded out my stereo system with more Schiit and a pair of Maggies. I love the sound of vinyl when played through a good system. The last three pieces in my build is to get my moving-coil cartridge (Denon DL-103 retipped and shell upgrade by VAS) installed, purchase a Schiit Freya S, and build a subwoofer to mate with the Maggies. I'll need a high-pass crossover for that, to keep bass out of the Maggies.

Old folks like ma'self remember it a little differently. For me it's more like "I used to have it on vinyl, and then I made a cassette copy, then many years later I got it on CD, and now many more years later I have an mp3 file (which I may or may not have burned off a youtube video)." I have not yet made it full circle to buying vinyl again.....from my perspective it's a bit weird. In the end it's all good.....great music is still great music on whatever medium you choose.

s6
That caught my eye as well. I am still firmly in CD-land and haven't bought any vinyl (nor played much of what I have) for some time now. But I still prefer a physical disc to just downloading files....

All quiet in the house tonight, though I may put on Tingstad and Rumbel (likely the double album "American Acoustic" to go to sleep by)....sent from my iPhone via Bluetooth to my Bose Mini Soundlink speaker....but the source for the files is CDs I've purchased.

added before posting: it looks like I left this unposted last night (~11:30 PST)...ooops.

A little side step from the main topic of this thread (though it is still "topical"):

Back in the day (meaning 30 to 40 years ago), I had a bit of a "habit" collecting records (okay, it was in reality more of an addiction, but whatever). I pretty much used "go out and buy a few records" as the answer to just about everything......celebrate something?-buy some records, I'm down and need a distraction?-buy some records, need to clear my head?-buy some records, bored?-buy some records....you get the idea. Also, whenever I travelled to a new town, pretty much the first thing I'd do is go to the record shop and buy a few albums. Now, this was pretty much all used, not new/retail. As well, keep in mind that at the time everyone else was dumping all their vinyl and converting to the newest cool format, that being compact discs. So, the used record stores were chock full of all kinds of discarded treasures AND they were selling pretty cheap. It was not unusual for albums to be sold for a dollar or less sometimes. And so, it was also not unusual for me to walk out with a couple dozen albums having not spent more than $30-$40.

Being the music junkie that I am, and having a blast finding all kinds of treasures, my collection grew. No, I mean it REALLY grew. Over the years I had amassed literally thousands of records. These were some "golden years" for sure.

Then as the years continued to go on, both my world and the "real" world began to change. Mostly for me, I began to be in living situations wherein having such a huge collection was impractical to say the least. I was also travelling (all over the world) quite a bit, and wanted my favorite music to be with me. And so, I began "digitizing" my favorites....either by converting to formats such as minidiscs and mp3 files, but also buying some CDs (also used most of the time). But my physical record collection was still very dear to me, and I couldn't part with it. And so it mostly sat in storage, and I eventually stopped buying any vinyl.

Of course, it had to go at some point. I started selling off some of the more valuable stuff bit by bit (not before making sure I had some form of digital copy though). This was long before (by many years) the current resurgence of vinyl records, and at that time there was no indication whatsoever that the format would make any sort of comeback (little did I know). There were however still enough oddball diehards out there that loved their vinyl (which was effectively dead to the rest of the world), and I figured it was time for me to divest before it was too late.

And so, one day I made a deal with one of the few places in the world that still dealt in vinyl (that being Wax Trax in Denver) and I took the entire collection AND my turntable, and sold it to them as a lot. Of course I was selling them off dirt cheap, but at least half of my collection cost me less than a buck apiece anyway so not that big of a deal. I left it all behind, and walked away with a few hundred dollars in my pocket, and a ton of beautiful memories.

But imagine if today....with vinyl making the amazing (and PRICEY!) comeback it has....if I still had that collection?

The main thing though is this.....all that music is still very much in my head, and a lot of it I still have in digital form. Still golden as far as I'm concerned.

Update/addendum in the current day:

Every so often I long for a certain track or album that was lost in the whole process, and for which no modern digital version seems to be available. One such is a live track I had on a semi-bootleg European record.......Roky Erickson doing "Don't Slander Me". This was by far my favorite version of this song. What I typically do in such cases (when there is no commercial option to purchase) is search YouTube.....quite often someone has uploaded a video of a recording that I can burn the audio from. Not so with this track....it was simply not available; and I searched a LOT for. BUT........ I could buy a used vinyl record (off of Ebay or some other source)! So, I just did this, and then I sent it off to a service where they digitize pretty much anything you want (vinyl records, videotapes, cassettes, etc.). And so, I will have my beloved track in mp3 form (then I'll resell the vinyl record).

Ahhhh, being a music junkie,
s6

Okay back to the main thread......

Last edited:
Great story!

LP's yield a tactile experience unparalleled in other formats. I have always embraced other formats, but never gave up on vinyl.
Oh I miss all that vinyl to be sure.
It's just that I simply cannot afford - space, cost, practicality, etc. - to have it. No way in my current living state, and honestly don't foresee ever being able to again.
It's the music that matters most though. It is what it is.

s6

Oh I miss all that vinyl to be sure.
It's just that I simply cannot afford - space, cost, practicality, etc. - to have it. No way in my current living state, and honestly don't foresee ever being able to again.
It's the music that matters most though. It is what it is.

s6
I get all my music through a premium subscription to YouTube music. Everything sorted into playlists lasting 74 minutes or less (the original design capacity of a Red Book audio CD). Highly portable and good fun to listen to over my truck stereo or my Jambox speaker.

Audiophiles would likely grate their teeth at it but I don’t mind.

Amazing cover of an AC/DC classic.

I do strongly recommend the “Highway to Hell” cover by Tom Morello (incredibly innovative guitarist for Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave, for those unaware) that I put in my weekend jam above. Bruce Springsteen and Eddie Vedder share vocals.

The one you posted is from Hayseed Dixie though, right?

I discovered Beast in Black recently and was blown away. It's power metal with a little more synth than I usually listen to, but it sounds amazing. That many of the songs are about characters and events from Berserk and other manga and anime is icing on the cake.

s6
Like a lot of guys my age (early 60's) I started out with 8-tracks for 'mobile' music, because that's what worked in cars. (Jensen and Craig audio, anyone?) The sound quality was beyond horrible, and lots of times the track would change in the middle of the song. I've owned a couple of albums on multiple formats – (The Eagles Greatest Hits comes to mind) – 8 track, vinyl, cassette tape, and MP3. Because I worked with creatives I made a vow to not pirate music as an adult, so I bought a lot of stuff off iTunes in the early days. I remember early on Steve Jobs saying people didn't want to 'rent' music, they wanted to own it, and that subscription services would fail. He got that wrong! Apple is now second only to Spotify as a streaming service.

My son just bought his first vinyl album – he's nearly 30! It was a new issue by Muse, not vintage. I was able to play it for him on my turntable that I bought in college in the early '80s, a direct drive Yamaha hooked up to the original speakers – Yamaha NS-20Ts – great little speakers. As he watched the tone arm lift and slowly drop on the record, he commented: "wow, that's old school"! As an engineer, he liked the little strobe pattern on the turntable used to set the speed of the platter.

What's old is new again!

Tony

Last edited:
Back