• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold The beginning of the End

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I collect TRS-80s and Apple IIs. I know others who collect other systems.
Ha. Good to know I am not the only one. I've got an old TRS-80 Model I, Apple II+ and IIe with working drives/software, a 50 pound Osborne "laptop", C64's, and many more. All in good working order.

@fyrwrxz did you confirm all your chems are sold?

I haven't read through all the ancient computer talk here but am wondering...Since there is a for sale label on this thread - is there anything actually for sale?
DA- Read the first few paragraphs and you can figure it out. yup! Note that I didn't derail the sale thread, it just exponentially degraded into ancient crap like a bunch of teenagers talking about thier hotrod Lincolns back the 50's. If you look close enough, it's for my pyrotechnic gear. Again, read the first damn sentence. Does it belong here, no, not really. is it related? Yes. And a well repected, well flown member who shall remain nameless has popped up completely blindsiding me, but I would trust him/her/ them with my life. You don't hand a loaded gun to a five year old just because he wants to play cowboy because it sounds more fun with a gun that makes its own noise better than you can with your mouth. Having said that, I will mark this as SOLD after I seal the deal. Sorry if I sounded a little stressed, but you were owed a valid answer and I'm kinda busy taking care of other business. Other sale items coming soon. Hopefully it won't be a much non fun as this one is.

Ha. Good to know I am not the only one. I've got an old TRS-80 Model I, Apple II+ and IIe with working drives/software, a 50 pound Osborne "laptop", C64's, and many more. All in good working order.

@fyrwrxz did you confirm all your chems are sold?
Haven't confirmed legit, but it's a trusted flier in another state who reached out and kinda blindsided me, Who knew, eh? Yeah, the interested party doesn't yet know I' m closing the thread, bc we need to work out details. As far as I'm concerned, all we need is to work the logistics. Since nobody else stepped in, done deal. Stay tuned for other bargains, but again, I am NOT getting out of rocketry. Just thinning the herd. Next up is collectsble kits or cases, haven't decided yet. Don't think anybody wants antique altimeters from the basic stone age of our hobby. Parachutes will be in there eventually, but I got some custom ones I need to sort thru. Straight smoke and good chutes! See ya on the playa!

Before this thread dies a well deserved unnatural death, who here was in the white/yellow page directory of the internet? I still remember the day I tossed it, stressed out during a forced move. Landlord gave the house I rented for a decade to his daughter as a wedding present, despite my repeated offers to buy. Way before the Steve Martin movie, we were all like "hey! I'm somebody! I'm in the book!" Surreal memory, but if you don't know, you weren't in it. Anybody?

Last edited:

If any of those ever need new homes, please look me up? I've got a Model 1 with an internal short I need to track down. A couple others that work quite nicely. I'm delivering a Model II to Adrian Black in the near future.

Okay boyz and grrrls, this party is over. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here. Closing time. Marking this thread SOLD. See troj's note if you feel you must perpetuate the legacy, magic and myths of 8 bits and the historical religious significance of floating points. I have no clue what all that means, I just heard it somewhere and it sounds important to you guys. Just trying to help out here, okay? Don't kill the messenger.

I'll take the whole lot!

wait, what?

ssixsixsix
Dave, you may be sorry when a dump truck full of Ataris shows up on your lawn! How ya doin? Wanna play ROCstock? I'll give you your very first rocket all yer own...
(Btw, I started to knife edge a set of fins just last night and remembered you and the shovel recovery in Vegas. Missya bud!)

Yes, yes, come along, grandpa - it's time for your Geritol and then off to bed.
Remember Geritol spelled backwards is lotireg...no. wait...
(I actually had some punk working for me bring a bottle in snd put it on my desk. Claims he "wanted to see what it tastes like for when I get old". Haven't seen him in a while...)

Hah! you are the only guy that would know I'm an Adept junkie from the kitchen tables of Kentucky all the way to Colorado! Good to hear from you and so sorry I missed the crew at LDRS. Really trashed about the Trident, I loved that bird! dammit! Is Gary gonna ease the sting? So, back to business. what are you specifically looking for? Just anything and/or how many? I might be convinced to sell an original (if I can find a duplicate, pretty sure I have) of the first catalogue. Remember Alex Boyce? We got the first 2 Es236's preproduction when I dropped the dime at his house turning a nose cone on his lathe like a week before a lunch. He got all excited and got them expedited to come in the night before. He jammed all night and I loaded half the burds in my wagon as he packed his Alfa. He splattered his off Coyote Wells Rd. with bad math. Unfortunately, I gave him the original instructions written in pencil and made a xerox copy of it after the launch. He prolly tossed it. Tommy and I had some interesting talks back in the day. The long distance bills really stood out if we talked for more than an hour. I have to admit, I gave the Transsolve chap the cold shoulder when I called him out on ripping off a cover page project on a ( now defunct) electronics hobby magazine. He as much admitted it over the phone, but I was all good with it if he could capitilize on in, which he did. Granted, he was an avionics guy with street cred on an active FBO and a barn full of test equipment, but I felt he was just ripping us rocket guys off. Kinda sealed my love of all things Adept. Wow, that was a retro memory rush! When are you flying again? I'm waiting on Gary to say whether July 9 is fly or die. I need to sit around a camp fire with my beer cozy and have rocket problems!

Last edited:
Karl is looking over the Trident motor remains. Seems there may be a minor tweak like an O-ring change or liner length. After LDRS everyone went to Spaceport and caught COVID, so it may take a bit more time. But there's no rocket compensation of course. No motor manufacturer could do that. I'm still in mourning at the loss.
I'm really only interested in Adept altimeters, not their staging electronics. I think the stagers no longer meet the safety code due to use of mechanical lever arms. IIRC Adept was first to put Mach lockout in their FW, making everyone else look a generation behind. I never took to Transolve products due to their size & weight.
I think Alex Boyce was before my HP time. We tried to get back to Coyote 2 about 6 years ago, but FAA won't issue waivers on the border anymore and of course there is this wall that wasn't there 20 years ago. Can no longer retrieve anything that drifts south.
Flying tomorrow at FAR. In fact I'm probably flying a G-WIZ Deluxe I got from you some years ago. Still tests ok. Backing it up with an Adept 22. Just cause stuff is old doesn't mean it won't get the job done.
Then it may be too hot for the rest of the summer. ROC already cancelled their July launch. Will miss Holtville October launch. November we host Holtville Havoc. Time for you to make a showing...

I hate seeing people need to leave a small hobby, but thanks for doing your part to preserve a unique American art. I haven't been able to build for years, but I can't part with some of my supplies. I'm sure my situation will change and building safely will be possible again. At the very least I'm equipped to dip ignitors.

Karl is looking over the Trident motor remains. Seems there may be a minor tweak like an O-ring change or liner length. After LDRS everyone went to Spaceport and caught COVID, so it may take a bit more time. But there's no rocket compensation of course. No motor manufacturer could do that. I'm still in mourning at the loss.
I'm really only interested in Adept altimeters, not their staging electronics. I think the stagers no longer meet the safety code due to use of mechanical lever arms. IIRC Adept was first to put Mach lockout in their FW, making everyone else look a generation behind. I never took to Transolve products due to their size & weight.
I think Alex Boyce was before my HP time. We tried to get back to Coyote 2 about 6 years ago, but FAA won't issue waivers on the border anymore and of course there is this wall that wasn't there 20 years ago. Can no longer retrieve anything that drifts south.
Flying tomorrow at FAR. In fact I'm probably flying a G-WIZ Deluxe I got from you some years ago. Still tests ok. Backing it up with an Adept 22. Just cause stuff is old doesn't mean it won't get the job done.
Then it may be too hot for the rest of the summer. ROC already cancelled their July launch. Will miss Holtville October launch. November we host Holtville Havoc. Time for you to make a showing...
Paul, 10-4 will be there fer sure,.Not winding up my career, bc they pay me stupid crazy money for a stupid crazy job, but certainly not 80 million dollar birds or 100 million dollar satellites. My FAA stamp expired a few years ago, so I can't be hauled into court for aircraft that are either Hyundais or 7 up cans. I'm just taking more time now for me instead of delayed gratification for the next launch. I think the CFO ( my direct boss) likes telling his golf buddies he has a rocket scientist in his pocket. I haven't let on I'm really just a big (old) kid playing with toy rockets. Can't say I write my own ticket bc I babysit 12 other slackers and just made one them Ass't Manager to take some load off. I'm making up for those years you guys were having fun without me after the Shuttle (first one) crashed and we scrambled to get the Atlas production line back up to get America in the air again. Brutal weeks of 100 hours sleeping on, in, around or beside conference tables or my desk(s). I could have gotten to Fiesta on my lunch break sometimes. Not long enuff to fly, but still. I qual'd for SS 4 years ago and my boss says I need to take it this year. I asked if he was going to sack me, but he says to stay as long as I want but to teach the young bucks the ropes. I'm doing good to color inside the lines any more and I get a gold star if I don't go killing any well deserving morons that day. Got an A+ yesterday for bringing a 20 year old electro- mechanical beast back to life after a complete tear down, re-wire, etc. I love working alone. Not even my real job. Life is good! Let me decide who needs a new home. John Bean is shipping me some new gen 1 parts, and you know I have a **** ton from Missile works from all the testing, so the Adepts may be free to roam without ( maybe) emotional attachments. Have you met Cris? I picked up the Apogee units and really haven't gotten to try the first iteration flight computer, nor built the damn gps tracker yet. It sits in its e-bag, nagging for solder everytime I walk in the rocket room. Sad. Sorry for rambling, it's my secret super power besides nicknames. Be well, be safe and gimme a coupla days. Got full plates this weekend. Maybe drop by the house next week if I find orphans that need a new daddy. we can set that up. Still have you in GPS. Memory like an aluminium mouse trap. Hit me up on [email protected] bc it's such a cluster with all the hidden message threads. Old school, ya know! Best -dave-

I hate seeing people need to leave a small hobby, but thanks for doing your part to preserve a unique American art. I haven't been able to build for years, but I can't part with some of my supplies. I'm sure my situation will change and building safely will be possible again. At the very least I'm equipped to dip ignitors.
Nate, not bailing on rockets, just fireworks. Dirty, nastynexpensive, labour intensive and best served with a side of soy sauce. The poor sod in China make 10k sparklers for a handful,of rice. Sad, but it's a good portion of world wide trade payments. Except maybe Italy, lol. I did get to meet grandpa Grucci once longtime ago in Vegas. Also met the prez of Black Cat and got a signed poster. BTW, animal rights and drones are doing a damfine job of killing displays, not to mention global warming and dry as yo momma's wit in any open areas left. It's just time. I'll die on the playa holding the button down.

Last edited:
Paul, 10-4 will be there fer sure,.Not winding up my career, bc they pay me stupid crazy money for a stupid crazy job, but certainly not 80 million dollar birds or 100 million dollar satellites. My FAA stamp expired a few years ago, so I can't be hauled into court for aircraft that are either Hyundais or 7 up cans. I'm just taking more time now for me instead of delayed gratification for the next launch. I think the CFO ( my direct boss) likes telling his golf buddies he has a rocket scientist in his pocket. I haven't let on I'm really just a big (old) kid playing with toy rockets. Can't say I write my own ticket bc I babysit 12 other slackers and just made one them Ass't Manager to take some load off. I'm making up for those years you guys were having fun without me after the Shuttle (first one) crashed and we scrambled to get the Atlas production line back up to America in the air again. Brutal weeks of 100 hours sleeping on, in, around or beside conference tables or my desk(s). awierd thing just happened, lost half my answer I think. hit me up [email protected].

Paul, Pretty sure I have two adorable young waifs with big eyes dressed in rags waiting to see the big city. Pretty sure I can find their younger, smaller cousin who is playing hide and seek. Hardline kinda blew it and shipped a set of wires out to somebody I can't track down. I'm sure they don't know what they have because the altimeter they got won't interbreed. No pun intended, but I'm sure I can hook you up. I grab them every rare chance I can. Not sure of the ratio of boards to looms, but they should be easy to find as I've been churning the footlockers straining out the pure pyro stuff that got mixed in over the years as I swept projects into boxes for whatever reason. Like Christmas dinner, or Thanksgiving or any of those other annoying interruptions to rocket building. For some reason, my wife feels the Waterford crystal clashes the blue silcone sheet with epoxy stains. I'm barely house broken anyways and keeps refering to the dining room table as my litter box. I know I will feel safer having you look over my shoulder as I fly maiden birds. Won't be so embarrassed if I crater a few out there. Last bird I buried was a demo flight of a DMS from Charlie, who was standing right next to me. Boost was nice, and he went back to the AT booth. I scanned the sky for recovery, and told the chap next to me I was looking for a 12 sec event. Very diplomatically, he stated "It's already down" Crap, the next flight with paid motors was supposed to be cooler than the dirty bird by adding the outboards. You could actually say it was a cluster f#ck. Literally. Ironically, the only bird I flew at LDRS was last RSO'd by you. No ****! See my thread for Spike under 'LDRS 40: your experience'. What's our ceiling out there? I lost my Rabbit Lake buddy, he's thrown in the towel just this week, but only a mid power dude, so no gold there and also no more pirate, uh, practice flights for Lucern. We were supposed to get together next weekend to clear out his garage in L.A. but my schedule (as usual) sux. I never got a chance to tell why I'm a little wierd about Holtville, but we'll talk, hopefully over a camp fire. What is YOUR schedule? Welp, you know I only sleep 4 hours a day so 0630 will be bright and sunny for the one day off I took this week. Sux to be as strange as I am. Ask Wayco, Better yet, don't. Poor sod. Let's do this soon if you want to build sleds or we can just hook up at Havoc. Remind me of the date going forward, I'll block it in. Best, -dave-

Last edited:
Nate, not bailing on rockets, just fireworks. Dirty, nastynexpensive, labour intensive and best served with a side of soy sauce. The poor sod in China make 10k sparklers for a handful,of rice. Sad, but it's a good portion of world wide trade payments. Except maybe Italy, lol. I did get to meet grandpa Grucci once longtime ago in Vegas. Also met the prez of Black Cat and got a signed poster. BTW, animal rights and drones are doing a damfine job of killing displays, not to mention global warming and dry as yo momma's wit in any open areas left. It's just time. I'll die on the playa holding the button down.
I was fortunate to learn firework building from a few PGI grandmasters. I fell into the Italian-American style of shell and core burning rockets. I saw a Chinese attempt at a cylinder shell once and wish I would have taken pictures. BC (Before Child) I set up a lifetime worth of displays. It's expensive and lots of hard for for 20 minites, but looking out at the cheering crowd from inside the willow trails with a finale volley of salutes above you rattling your chest is a surreal experience that makes it worth it.

I was fortunate to learn firework building from a few PGI grandmasters. I fell into the Italian-American style of shell and core burning rockets. I saw a Chinese attempt at a cylinder shell once and wish I would have taken pictures. BC (Before Child) I set up a lifetime worth of displays. It's expensive and lots of hard for for 20 minites, but looking out at the cheering crowd from inside the willow trails with a finale volley of salutes above you rattling your chest is a surreal experience that makes it worth it.
Nate, yep, you can't describe the energy you get back from a crowd to any one who hasn't done it. The high from a good show lasts longer than the show and seems to take all the pain and bullshit you go thru to get there. I hated humping racks and a zillion match joints on yer knees takes a price. I'm sure that's why my hands hurt all the time now. Not arthritis but just a dull, background thing. One of my best memories was cheating and using all my stock of FSI motors as ball lifters. Pissed me off none of them failed, but that's a different story. Happy 4th, green man!

Paul, Pretty sure I have two adorable young waifs with big eyes dressed in rags waiting to see the big city. Pretty sure I can find their younger, smaller cousin who is playing hide and seek. Hardline kinda blew it and shipped a set of wires out to somebody I can't track down. I'm sure they don't know what they have because the altimeter they got won't interbreed. No pun intended, but I'm sure I can hook you up. I grab them every rare chance I can. Not sure of the ratio of boards to looms, but they should be easy to find as I've been churning the footlockers straining out the pure pyro stuff that got mixed in over the years as I swept projects into boxes for whatever reason. Like Christmas dinner, or Thanksgiving or any of those other annoying interruptions to rocket building. For some reason, my wife feels the Waterford crystal clashes the blue silcone sheet with epoxy stains. I'm barely house broken anyways and keeps refering to the dining room table as my litter box. I know I will feel safer having you look over my shoulder as I fly maiden birds. Won't be so embarrassed if I crater a few out there. Last bird I buried was a demo flight of a DMS from Charlie, who was standing right next to me. Boost was nice, and he went back to the AT booth. I scanned the sky for recovery, and told the chap next to me I was looking for a 12 sec event. Very diplomatically, he stated "It's already down" Crap, the next flight with paid motors was supposed to be cooler than the dirty bird by adding the outboards. You could actually say it was a cluster f#ck. Literally. Ironically, the only bird I flew at LDRS was last RSO'd by you. No ****! See my thread for Spike under 'LDRS 40: your experience'. What's our ceiling out there? I lost my Rabbit Lake buddy, he's thrown in the towel just this week, but only a mid power dude, so no gold there and also no more pirate, uh, practice flights for Lucern. We were supposed to get together next weekend to clear out his garage in L.A. but my schedule (as usual) sux. I never got a chance to tell why I'm a little wierd about Holtville, but we'll talk, hopefully over a camp fire. What is YOUR schedule? Welp, you know I only sleep 4 hours a day so 0630 will be bright and sunny for the one day off I took this week. Sux to be as strange as I am. Ask Wayco, Better yet, don't. Poor sod. Let's do this soon if you want to build sleds or we can just hook up at Havoc. Remind me of the date going forward, I'll block it in. Best, -dave-
Paul, I can squeeze a meet Sunday morning. u home, gone, busy or whut? Found the looms this morning, but got stuck by NateB going down memory lane again. Getting tired of digging in the Brittanica Under history of Dave. He is such a loser, never did anything with his life and whines too much. Dave 1.0 was not user friendly, the os sux, and the sysop likes to argue. Too many self recursive sub routines. Big noise ratio in the stats. Wife is pushing Dave 2.0 ( no really, it IS a real thing in our house, swear to God). like linux vs dos. Just running out of time to grow up or even get my second childhood. I feel I got cheated. Can you have a mid-life crisis at 70? ****! Ping me back, oh great one, I need some sanity today.
( I love the autocorrect for cuss words. Someday I will be quoted in all asterisks.) -dave-
(( dammit, frickin umlauts in the wrong place, u need batteries for those guys? I'd have to meter them, but the trust level is low right now. Been meaning to fly some retro birds, I should just gut 'em an move on but I love them ugly basterds too much)) we gone- l8r

Last edited:
As I promised TRFers years ago, I would prefer to liquidate my assets here, to friends, fellow rocketeers and those who may appreciate that I do not want to burden my future widow with the excesses of my hobbies, for which she has little to no understanding, nor use for. This is really the first post, but I can promise you it will not be as organized, nor as well moderated as Stealth6 (Dave, or as I nicknamed him s6.) when he bailed. No patience for ebay-type bidding, just one and done if we can haggle details. NO SHIPPING! I am seeking interested QUALIFIED pyrotechs to purchase at discount my entire inventory of tooling, screens, chems, ball mills, etc. as a packaged deal. I am willing to drive as far as Los Angeles north or Phoenix east or Vegas to deliver. I would consider Utah Southwest as far as Saint George or where Stickershock23 lives. All three test ranges I fly at are included (Vegas, Holtville and Lucerne) and we could meet at a pre-planned date in the future to transfer assets. Approx $1500 and I can give photos and details to serious buyers. Pick up in La Mesa, Ca. gets a discount. No, I will not train you, teach you or in any way let you jeopardize yourself or me by default. Storage magazine required as well as an allyoop card. (LEUP) but I may be convinced. PGA card would be golden, operators at just about any level would be acceptable, but realize this is NOT a Chinese shot cake garage sale. No electrics either, but ask if you have a used van for trade. You either know how to make black powder ( and have done it) or not. That's just basic. You should know basics and I may question you to verify your depth of knowledge. No real big stuff like star rollers or drying racks, but I do have a set of never used screens (I'd like to keep my old ones and can't imagine not having them) and maybe some duplicate tooling I've never gotten dirty. When the Viking Princess nixed me taking over the Sea World shoot eons ago, I kinda lost interest. Plus, state law sux now. Bonus points if you know the most important lady in California pyrotechnics. Now you all know why It's been 'fyrwrxz' since google invented gmail. Before, I was 'pyrat' (short for pyrotechnic ratios) on Compuserve and a couple of you @ DART knew me then when I got the odd chance to fly when I wasn't chained to the factory making Shuttles and Atlas/Centaur birds at Plant 19. I'll be honest, this is like selling your kids, but it's the adult thing to do in the real world. I can make a deal, but not giving it away for free. For those in the know, stay green!
(Hah! re-reading this shows "PGA" card. #$@&* spellcheck nazis! Pip pip, ol' chap. Care for a round with your mashie? Whut's that you say? You have a green blazer? Close enuff, mate! Carry on)
God bless you.

71066,337 with sysop free flags. Dial-up using a modem I designed (see my mention in Wikipedia related to BBS's).

All CompuServe account numbers have only digits 0->7. Stored as octal!

Anyone remember the GENIE online service?
Who are you fooling? You were a WildCat BBS user along with Prodigy on a green-screen Kaypro 8088 running dual 360K floppies with a Star NX 1001 dot matrix printer... Baller setup at the time.

Who are you fooling? You were a WildCat BBS user along with Prodigy on a green-screen Kaypro 8088 running dual 360K floppies with a Star NX 1001 dot matrix printer... Baller setup at the time.
I've not heard Wildcat BBS since the late 80's when I had a new "faster" 9600 baud external modem. Holy Flashback Batman!!!

Back