Quantcast

PerfectFlite - still in business?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

WillMarchant

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
FYI, they are allowing orders for StratoLoggerCF units now...
Wow, those got snapped up in hours.

The USPS is saying they have hold of the box, so that seems like 12 hour turnaround from ordering to the package being in the delivery system. Fast!

DeltaVee

HV Arcas, AT F67
Reaction score
Man, I have literally been checking every night for months. I watch one movie on TV and "poof", gone.
They could not have been available for more than an hour or two.... go figure. I put the CF into my shopping cart then went to add a few things... like hardware, the usb stuff ... by the time I got to the point of checking out, there was a message saying "sorry, we don't have enough stock..." So it goes.

ThePlmbr

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In the future, pay for the altimeter 1st. Then go back for extras. You can email them and have everything shipped in one box. It's not perfect, but that has worked for me. Greg Olson

Zman1961

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In the future, pay for the altimeter 1st. Then go back for extras. You can email them and have everything shipped in one box. It's not perfect, but that has worked for me. Greg Olson
I have done the same thing, they are very good about customer service.

Mike Haberer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There is inventory right now. Just snagged two...

DeeRoc29

Reaction score
Wow. I was looking at the store page this morning and they were sold out. Seems like I missed the short window of availability again. Frustrating.

tOD

Sinking in the quicksand of HPR
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
They briefly had the Firefly Field Data Displays last week, I should have bought one, now they're gone again.

pollux

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been checking everyday and I missed it! I can’t believe it.

What a way to run a business...

Banzai88

Lvl 1,Wallet....Destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been checking everyday and I missed it! I can’t believe it.

What a way to run a business...
When I was working alternate energy prototypes with a start-up in Raleigh, we worked with a local boutique circuit card builder that could literally do dozens of square feet of board with thousands of discreet surface mount and through hole components a day......working out of a tiny 1 bay warehouse/storage facility and on two previous gen machines. It was a VERY cool set up, very flexible and agile when it came to mods/changes in the gerber files and specs, even with some unique and exotic components. Fast, cheap, and they did amazingly good work.

At the rate that StrattoLogger CFs are being put out, and knowing the capacity of even TINY board assembly companies, one begins to wonder if these things aren't being individually hand built.

DeltaVee

HV Arcas, AT F67
Reaction score
I've heard there is a considerable shortage of electronic parts currently... If certain parts you need are hard to come by...

mtnmanak

TRA & NAR L2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
When I was working alternate energy prototypes with a start-up in Raleigh, we worked with a local boutique circuit card builder that could literally do dozens of square feet of board with thousands of discreet surface mount and through hole components a day......working out of a tiny 1 bay warehouse/storage facility and on two previous gen machines. It was a VERY cool set up, very flexible and agile when it came to mods/changes in the gerber files and specs, even with some unique and exotic components. Fast, cheap, and they did amazingly good work.

At the rate that StrattoLogger CFs are being put out, and knowing the capacity of even TINY board assembly companies, one begins to wonder if these things aren't being individually hand built.
I always assumed these were individually hand built, hence the production timelines and large gaps in product availability (life gets in the way). This has amazed me also from a QA/QC perspective on the SLCFs. They must be doing a thorough job of that before they send them out, which also adds a lot of time. I have had other altimeters fail on me, but I have never had an SLCF fail. I am not sure I know anyone that has had an SLCF fail (I know they must have failed, but I haven't heard anyone complain about them). That is some darn good reliability from a hand built product.

If they are back on a production schedule, we saw product hit the site on Saturday, then again on Wednesday. Hopefully this is a trend!

I know the owners have had a lot of family issues (as was noted earlier in this thread). We all can only wish them good luck, send them our prayers and hope that better days for them are here. I know I would love to see SLCFs become available regularly again!

Mike Haberer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score

I am sure they are. It only makes sense given both the price point and availability. Feature/function is similar to Eggtimer Quantum. StratologgerCF is $55, Quantum is $40. There are 6 components on the front of the CF and 29 on the back. If it takes an hour to assemble a StratologgerCF at $15 an hour, that's the difference in price. Someone that has done hundereds of these would be quicker, especially if you have a plan. When I do Eggtimers, I line up the resisters and capacitors, tin all the pads at once, re-tin my tip and then start soldering the components. It goes pretty fast. These components are cheap when purchased in bulk, so the bill of materials cost is small. The markup is high on the board (paying for the design and intellectual capital) and low on the assembly. They can't be marked up a lot higher lest they become less competitive with Quantums (and RRC2's as well). It's a cottage industry and pretty low volume overall given the number of NAR and TRA members total.

SDramstad

TRF Supporter
Reaction score

I believe they are hand calibrated before shipment. Dont recall where I heard that but it was a long time ago. They have to calibrate the altimeter before shipping.

g.pitts

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I believe they are hand calibrated before shipment. Dont recall where I heard that but it was a long time ago. They have to calibrate the altimeter before shipping.
^ This. You can pump out SMT all day long, but calibration is the long pole in the tent.

AllDigital

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
StrattoLogger CF inventory just appeared back on PerfectFlight Direct. Hooray! get them while you can:

SkyFire

Reaction score
Got an email from them today;
Try checking tonight at around 6:30PM Eastern time, we'll be adding
today's new stock then. They go quickly though, the batch we posted
last Wednesday evening sold out in 33 minutes...

More will be available next Monday, Wednesday, and Friday -- again,
the best time to check is 6:30 - 7:00 PM Eastern time.

Checked @ 6:40, in stock, order placed!

Brent

Reaction score
Got an email from them today;
Try checking tonight at around 6:30PM Eastern time, we'll be adding
today's new stock then. They go quickly though, the batch we posted
last Wednesday evening sold out in 33 minutes...

More will be available next Monday, Wednesday, and Friday -- again,
the best time to check is 6:30 - 7:00 PM Eastern time.

Checked @ 6:40, in stock, order placed!
Scored one

Dipstick

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm, the scalper in me is starting to see an opportunity here 😁