MAC Performance Rocketry Nosecones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2-0turbo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the MAC 3.9" nosecone works with LOC Precision tubing? MAC sells their own phenolic tubing which I assume is intended to work with these nosecones. I emailed MAC and Mike answered that he didn't know about compatibility since they don't carry LOC Precision products. I like the shape/length of this cone vs. the shorter LOC cone with the blunter tip. LOC provides detailed ID/OD/wall thickness, but the phenolic tubing on MAC's site doesn't have that info to be able to make a comparison. Link to product in question:

5:1 Pinnacle Nosecones

I you know about fitment, please let me know. Mike did say that I could use a heatgun and "adjust" the fit of shoulders and such, but I'd rather not get into that. The price isn't crazy, so I could just buy it and experiment, but if anyone has some experience with this one, all the better. Thanks.

If I recall correctly I ordered my 3" diameter Pinnacle from MAC (or it may have come from Giant Leap Rocketry). I did that because like you I was looking for a higher aspect ratio cone that the one provided with my LOC kit.

In the case of that 3" version, it fits LOC tubing without issue. Fit into the airframe is good, and there is minimal/no overhang at the joint between the two...

Last edited:
The 4" Estes Nosecone fits the LOC 3.9" tubing well. It is longer since it is from the Mega Der Red Max. (Estes Stock of it only comes and goes at times... so if you want a long 4" cone for LOC tube jump on it while they have some sock.)

Estes: 16.5" Exposed length, 223grams

https://estesrockets.com/products/0...lastic-nose-cone?_pos=10&_sid=f2ca0c983&_ss=r
[Edit to add photo: LOC on Left, Estes on Right]
View attachment 623908
Thanks for this--could be an option. In your opinion, is the Estes cone up for riding on the pointy end of a J-powered candle? :cool: I have no experience with the Estes PSII line and since they don't list the weight of this nosecone, it is hard to know how hefty it is.

EDIT: Just saw that you listed the weight...duh. 8 ozs is pretty comparable to a HPR cone. Would probably work well.

Thanks for this--could be an option. In your opinion, is the Estes cone up for riding on the pointy end of a J-powered candle? :cool: I have no experience with the Estes PSII line and since they don't list the weight of this nosecone, it is hard to know how hefty it is.

EDIT: Just saw that you listed the weight...duh. 8 ozs is pretty comparable to a HPR cone. Would probably work well.
Yeah, I think it'd survive no problem. ( I haven't yet, but wouldn't hesitate to.)
Here are the shoulders of each. The Loc has 2 "bands" that go around fir contact point. The Estes is just straight. The Estes fits just slightly tighter in the 2 LOC body tubes I tested it in, but it's still a slip fit.

( I might cut off the "slope" and install a bulkhead so its flat, but that is optional. As long as you ground test, it should show any tendency to angle and "stick" like the Big Daddy nosecone. Did not hear of that with the 4" Mega Max, but just be aware of it. )

Photos show shoulder of each. I tried to get as much contrast at the "step" as I could. Since that is where force transfer from body to nose happens.

20240111_154849.jpg20240111_154936.jpg

FOLLOW-UP!

This nosecone works great with LOC tubing! I rolled the dice and just ordered it and it arrived yesterday. A couple observations:

1. It's stout: 10.65 ozs
2. Overall exposed length is 19.5" (I positioned the measuring tape with 12" at the shoulder).
3. CG is 14" down from tip (You can see a photo of this with some tape on side of cone noting position).
4. Shoulder is quite large for a cone of this size, over 6", nearly 7" long.
5. In OR, I checked the box for "legacy items" and searched for 3.9" and a cone that was 19.5" pulled up and very closely approximates this shape. I'll edit this post later with a screenshot from OR to include in your sims (I don't have OR handy).

It really changes the look of my rocket and I'm looking forward to flying it. Attached are a few pictures, comparing it to my LOC nosecone (NOTE that the LOC nosecone has some peeling paint and has had the bottom cut off for inclusion of a 29mm tube in nose for tracker). And somehow when taking pictures I missed an overall shot that showed them both in the same frame. 🤔

@Tractionengines I looked at the Estes cone you suggested and was going to buy it (had it in my cart). But the shipping put me over my pain point and I couldn't justify spending more right now to get over $100 and free shipping. I will likely get that cone at some point and it will get incorporated into some design.

Attachments

• IMG_8791.jpg
    IMG_8791.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8792.jpg
    IMG_8792.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8793.jpg
    IMG_8793.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8794.jpg
    IMG_8794.jpg