Guess the Altitude, Win a Prize!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well which motor are you flying? The M-1850 GG or the M-1890 R? I see reference to both. [hmmm... red or green. some kind of Xmas fetish?]

The M1890R; that's what is listed as the final motor.

Will the launch device be a rod, rail, chimney, old piece of gutter?
Or will you simple stand the rocket on the ground Wildman fashion for less drag resistance?

Actually, Tim offered to strap a rail to your back and you have stand out there....

Will there be an on-board flotation device in case of water landing? Or do we just deduct the depth of water from altitude?

Water? In Argonia?! Does it even rain there????

Will altitude be adjusted for "horizontal travel" in case you launch in the proverbial "Argonia Doldrums" which can approach gale force 5?

Wind, unless recorded by the altimeter, will be ignored. As will any hot air generated by the LCO or Launch Director.

Or do we include the total distance of a "cruise missile" rainbow arch which you are famous for?

I've only done that once....

And do you have a ready for pad sans motor weight yet? I could not find that. With all the extra nuts and bolts & gallons of epoxy, I can't even begin guess ! Need hard data.LOL!

Nope, I don't.

Is it safe to assume there will be no "last minute" strap on boosters?

No strap-ons, of the booster, or any other sort.

In case you forget to attach the quicklinks,and the fin can passes the payload, do we still go with the payload because it contains the altimeter, or can we add the estimated "added" altitude of the fincan?

The altimeters rule the show.

Will you be adding anything to the payload for "luck" such as a lightning rod, boat anchor, anvil, case of beer, small child or pet? If so, weight of items needed.

No. The neighbors don't let me near their dog anymore...

Ps Iv'e built 2 more large projects. Maybe we should add to the contest: How many L-3 capable rockets will Jim build before Kevin finishes/launches his.

What's the prize, Jim? I'm all for more contests for the membership!

-Kevin

13209 feet.

And I notice you have two people who have guessed 12345. Is there a tie-breaker, or two prizes? Or will one of those people need to change his guess?

And I notice you have two people who have guessed 12345. Is there a tie-breaker, or two prizes? Or will one of those people need to change his guess?

The second one doesn't count. From the rules I initially posted:

How do you enter? Post your prediction to this thread. If two people post the same number, the first post gets that number, and the second must pick a new number.

-Kevin

13,512' unless the neighbors dog disappears 13,511'
GL with LVL 3 will be doing my LVL 1 same weekend.:cool:

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet it weighs a ton! the real question will be "will it land-shark?" the thrust to weight ratio would be good to have. if it goes up straight, 9500 feet....

I'm betting Crazy Jim builds 3 more M-capable rockets before he flys in sept.

Alright Kevin, I'm in.

00,000 feet! (an old firmware joke) :bangpan:

Last edited:

that was me - sorry , did not check the previous list, i've gone back and added a few feet

I made a minor adjustment to the rules -- my RRC2 Mini needs to go in for updated firmware, so I won't be flying it. In its place, I'll be using a G-Wiz HCX.

The only change this causes is that if the MAWD is uncooperative, the official altitude will be from the HCX. The MAWD is still the primary data source.

-Kevin

Back