Guess the Altitude, Win a Prize!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, complements of QuickBurst, we have another little contest for our users...

What's the contest, and how do you enter? It's so easy, even a moderator can do it! (and yes, all members, including mods and admins, are welcome to participate)

How's it work? Read this thread, https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=11427 which details what will be my fourth (yes, fourth) Level 3 attempt, and predict the altitude. Closest to the actual altitude as determined by the on-board altimeters (MAWD first, G-Wiz HCX in case the MAWD doesn't cooperate), without going over wins the prize!

A couple errata... First, no private questions -- all information about the rocket that is public is in that build thread. Rocket, motor, etc. I won't answer any private questions about specs -- everyone gets the same info.

In case of a significant failure (motor CATO, airframe failure, etc) there will be no winner. There must be a "fairly nominal" flight -- if there's a recovery system failure, but the altimeters still provide information, then the contest is still on.

How do you enter? Post your prediction to this thread. If two people post the same number, the first post gets that number, and the second must pick a new number.

So, what do you have the potential to win?

From Quickburst (https://www.quickburst.net)
1 - How to Make Igniters DVD
1 - 40 Gram bottle of QuickDip
1 - Small Igniter Kit (wire, etc .....)

All that is yours, free, complements of Dave at Quickburst! You don't even have to pay the shipping!

Addendum: Submissions must be posted by midnight September 2nd, US Central time. Any posts/edits after that date/time will not be accepted.

-Kevin

Last edited:
I'm going with 12,345

By all rights, it should be higher, but that number appeals to me. :)

Addendum: Submissions must be posted by midnight September 2nd, US Central time. Any posts/edits after that date/time will not be accepted.

-Kevin

Some very pertinent questions that must be addressed before a qualified scientific estimate for altitude can be ciphered:

Well which motor are you flying? The M-1850 GG or the M-1890 R? I see reference to both. [hmmm... red or green. some kind of Xmas fetish?]

Will the launch device be a rod, rail, chimney, old piece of gutter?
Or will you simple stand the rocket on the ground Wildman fashion for less drag resistance?

Will there be an on-board flotation device in case of water landing? Or do we just deduct the depth of water from altitude?

Will altitude be adjusted for "horizontal travel" in case you launch in the proverbial "Argonia Doldrums" which can approach gale force 5?

Or do we include the total distance of a "cruise missile" rainbow arch which you are famous for?

And do you have a ready for pad sans motor weight yet? I could not find that. With all the extra nuts and bolts & gallons of epoxy, I can't even begin guess ! Need hard data.LOL!

Is it safe to assume there will be no "last minute" strap on boosters?

In case you forget to attach the quicklinks,and the fin can passes the payload, do we still go with the payload because it contains the altimeter, or can we add the estimated "added" altitude of the fincan?

Will you be adding anything to the payload for "luck" such as a lightning rod, boat anchor, anvil, case of beer, small child or pet? If so, weight of items needed.
Don't forget to include added weight if child or pet is to be fed right before launch and whether beer is Lite or regular!

Until the required, highly sensitive data is supplied :at this point I can only guess 12ft....distance of Nose cone from the ground when vertical on the selected "launch device".
You'll probably forget to hook up the igniter.:roll:
Or put the motor in. :confused2:

Ps Iv'e built 2 more large projects. Maybe we should add to the contest: How many L-3 capable rockets will Jim build before Kevin finishes/launches his.

Last edited:
Back