EVENT SodBlaster V Labor Day Weekend 2023 ( Sept 1-4, 2023)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rharshberger

Reaction score
SOD BLASTER 2023 Sept 1-4 Pasco, WA

Sod Blaster V Is Coming!

Sod Blaster V is just around the corner. We will have four days of flying starting on Friday, contests, a silent auction, and raffle. Everyone must register at our registration table to get the appropriate wristband. Anyone wanting to fly high power must show their NAR/TRA card (don't forget it) to get a high power marked wristband. We have a daily $5 launch fee or fly for free with a TCR membership.

If you have already given us a TCR liability form in the past, you do not need a new one. If not, please fill one out ahead of time and bring it.

You may show up at the site for camping starting Thursday mid-afternoon. If you show up earlier than that, please be prepared to move as we will be coordinating rig parking so that we can fit everyone in. It will be first-come, first-served camping. See our camping page for more details.

Sunday is designated as a TRA research day, so that means no kids under 18 are allowed at the high-power pads unless they have completed the TRA JR mentoring program. Of course, everyone will still have access to the low power and mid-power pads and both TRA and NAR members can fly on those days.

This year we are having SBR Diablo kit contests for prizes – see our Contests page for more information. We will also host a silent auction on Saturday for some of our bigger ticket items, with the proceeds going to help improve our GSE and pay for the portapotty rentals. Also on Saturday we will be holding our raffle starting at 6:30 pm. If you have items you want to donate to the raffle, that would be most excellent. Just bring them to the registration table. Before the raffle starts Saturday, we are planning to have a cake and ice cream social to celebrate our 5th Sod Blaster anniversary.

Night flights will be permitted starting Friday evening, weather permitting. See our Night Flights page for specific requirements. For any other questions, please check our FAQ page. Please be prepared for hot weather and bring plenty of shade, water, and sunscreen.
https://tri-cities-rocketeers.weebly.com/https://tricitiesrocketeers.freeforums.net/thread/522/sod-blaster-2023

Last edited:
Already have the Clover Island Inn booked again. But we do have to survive the NARAM/family visit trip that starts Monday before we can come....

Just a repost from an earlier thread about the contests at SodBlaster V....

Thats right SodBlaster is coming to the Pacific Northwest for its fifth year! This is an early announcement that will be updated as we get closer to the actual event.
First up people have heard rumors of a contest or two this year......so working with SBR Fusion Rockets its:
Diablo's Loco at Sod Blaster V (2023) Contest Events

Concours del Diablo

This one is a beauty contest and the winner will be determine by fan voting from those present at the event each ballot will consist of 3 ranked choices and only one ballot allowed per attendee.
The rules are simple build a SBR Diablo of any size offered by SBR Fusion Rockets and the best looking one wins. Any individual registered to fly at Sod Blaster V is eligible to enter. Customization is allowed but the basic rocket must be a SBR Diablo kit (3", 4', 5.5" or other sizes offered by SBR that are now OOP).
Stock Class Diablo 3” Target Altitude

Must use the SBR Diablo 3” kit and built stock.
Must use ALL the following parts from the SBR Diablo 3 kit:
Nose cone
Body Tube
Fins
Centering Rings
Motor Mount Tube
A motor retainer such as an AeroPack, Slim line or other type may be used but it may not add more that 1/2” to the OAL of the stock rocket with motor installed.
Prior to flying the rocket will be checked to verify that the dimensions are within spec and the length may not vary by more than +1/2”.
Winning Conditions: Closest to target altitude (TBA).
Unlimited Class Diablo 3 Target Altitude

Must use from the SBR Diablo 3” kit at least two parts from the following list:
Nose cone
Body Tube
Fins
Prior to flying the rocket will be checked to verify that the dimensions are within spec and the length may not vary by more than +1/2”.
Winning Conditions: Closest to target altitude (TBA).
Common Rules for Stock and Unlimited Classes
(not including Concours class).

In order to have a qualifying flight the following conditions must be met:
The rocket must be recovered intact (capable of being flown again with minimal repairs).
Altitude will be determined via a flier supplied altimeter (examples would be Jolly Logic 1-3, Perfectflite Firefly, Eggtimer Ion, Flightsketch Mini are a few).
Breaking the waiver is a automatic disqualified flight.
Multiple qualifying flight attempts are allowed in each class.
Upon recovery the rocket must be immediately returned to have condition and altitude recorded, altimeter must be on and functional at time of recording so Recorder can verify altitude reading.
Rockets must maintain SBR Diablo 3” dimensions plus not more than 1/2” to max OAL to account for motor retainer. Fins must be original form factor (Root, Span, Chord, and Leading Edge, Trailing Edges, and Tip Edges must be same length as stock).
Target Altitudes will be determined via random drawing on the day the contest begins, so get your rockets built and fly them lots to dial in your sims.

I was at sod blaster 4 and seriously wish I could come, but it does not work out. I will probably be going to an OregonRocketry launch in Sheridan Oregon instead. Good luck to anyone who is going to sod blaster, though.

I’ll be there with my hangar of weirdness, including two maiden flights. There will also be a few students from Ingraham High school with their group high power project and a couple of Junior L1 certs.

I’ll be there with my hangar of weirdness, including two maiden flights. There will also be a few students from Ingraham High school with their group high power project and a couple of Junior L1 certs.
I guarantee you won't be the only one with a "hangar of weirdness" especially if David G. shows up!

What's the closest major airport? It looks like Portland and Spokane are about equidistant...

What's the closest major airport? It looks like Portland and Spokane are about equidistant...
Spokane would be closer at about 2hrs drive, Seattle is 3-3.5 hrs drive and Portland is 3-ish hours. Come on up Cris we would love to have you join our little bit of fun! Or bring your RV and camp on site (I will be).

For anyone who doesn't have a preferred hotel already, we stayed at the Best Western Premier in Pasco last year, and it was a nice place. They had a good breakfast too.

For anyone who doesn't have a preferred hotel already, we stayed at the Best Western Premier in Pasco last year, and it was a nice place. They had a good breakfast too.
There are lots of good hotels within less than 30 minutes driving time of the field, any hotel Pasco, Kennewick or Richland and West Richland is within 30 minutes for the most part. (I live in Pasco right next to the bridge over the Columbia River between Richland and Pasco and its 20 minutes drive time for me and its all interstate for the most part. The TCR field is easy to find and easy access, as we have paved roads to within less than a mile of the launch site, as a bonus almost every launch comes with a free airshow courtesy of Pfister Ag Aviation who's airstrip borders the launch site. One of the few services we don't have onsite is food, its bring your own, but Country Merchantile is just 5ish miles away and they have a full lunch menu (and you could eat there at dinner too), ice cream, wine, chocolates etc (they are a large produce and tourist destination). Usually there is not a shortage of hotels in TriCities.......(except this coming weekend which is the Columbia Cup Unlimited Hydroplane Races and Airshow).

SOD BLASTER 2023 Sept 1-4

Sod Blaster V Is Coming!

Sod Blaster V is just around the corner. We will have four days of flying starting on Friday, contests, a silent auction, and raffle. Everyone must register at our registration table to get the appropriate wristband. Anyone wanting to fly high power must show their NAR/TRA card (don't forget it) to get a high power marked wristband. We have a daily $5 launch fee or fly for free with a TCR membership.

If you have already given us a TCR liability form in the past, you do not need a new one. If not, please fill one out ahead of time and bring it.

You may show up at the site for camping starting Thursday mid-afternoon. If you show up earlier than that, please be prepared to move as we will be coordinating rig parking so that we can fit everyone in. It will be first-come, first-served camping. See our camping page for more details.

Sunday is designated as a TRA research day, so that means no kids under 18 are allowed at the high-power pads unless they have completed the TRA JR mentoring program. Of course, everyone will still have access to the low power and mid-power pads and both TRA and NAR members can fly on those days.

This year we are having SBR Diablo kit contests for prizes – see our Contests page for more information. We will also host a silent auction on Saturday for some of our bigger ticket items, with the proceeds going to help improve our GSE and pay for the portapotty rentals. Also on Saturday we will be holding our raffle starting at 6:30 pm. If you have items you want to donate to the raffle, that would be most excellent. Just bring them to the registration table. Before the raffle starts Saturday, we are planning to have a cake and ice cream social to celebrate our 5th Sod Blaster anniversary.

Night flights will be permitted starting Friday evening, weather permitting. See our Night Flights page for specific requirements. For any other questions, please check our FAQ page. Please be prepared for hot weather and bring plenty of shade, water, and sunscreen.
https://tri-cities-rocketeers.weebly.com/https://tricitiesrocketeers.freeforums.net/thread/522/sod-blaster-2023
Where is the event located? I didn’t see the location at the link. Thanks!

Avis and I are planning to come. After we get home from NARAM next Wednesday I think I’ll only have time for one new project. I plan to build a So Long and fly it F to F at the sod farm (with an Eggfinder aboard).

Otherwise we’ll probably bring small sport flyers — stuff we brought but did not fly at NARAM as we had no excess energy for sport flying after our competition stuff in that heat.

Avis and I are planning to come. After we get home from NARAM next Wednesday I think I’ll only have time for one new project. I plan to build a So Long and fly it F to F at the sod farm (with an Eggfinder aboard).

Otherwise we’ll probably bring small sport flyers — stuff we brought but did not fly at NARAM as we had no excess energy for sport flying after our competition stuff in that heat.
Sounds good!

My boys and I are planning to come. They have their freshly built Der Red Maxs and I'm hoping to get a Wildman Sport put together and possibly get my L1.

The boys:

I'll be there with a few projects:
Fluxion (maiden flight)
Split Infinitive (maiden flight, man I gotta get a build thread up!)
Some other favorites (Spruce Goose, Moooo-Venn, Stage-o-Saurus, Dimetrodon, and Fafnir)
All of those but Fafnir and Split Infinitive have build threads on TRF.

Along with us will be a few members of Ingraham High School Rocketry with a few projects:
2 Junior L1 certs (1 scratch, 1 3" LOC Iris)
Frankenfin's Monster (rebuilt of the fin can on the 5.5" high power project from last year, now flying on 2xK630)

I'll have an Eggfinder Mini on a few projects, and will post frequencies later today.

Question for Rich:
Is there corn in the field adjacent to the sod?

Is there corn in the field adjacent to the sod?
Of course....the farmer couldn't make it easy for us. I wish he would grow sweet corn (that's being harvested now), instead he grows silage/feed corn which is allowed to dry in the field and doesn't get harvested until October-ish.

The last rocket recovered post harvest from the corn field....please use a tracker!

That's for everyone flying at TCR, if it's likely to be off the Sod it's likely to be in the corn on the Northeast side of the field.

Attachments

• 20230312_135619.jpg
    20230312_135619.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Of course....the farmer couldn't make it easy for us. I wish he would grow sweet corn (that's being harvested now), instead he grows silage/feed corn which is allowed to dry in the field and doesn't get harvested until October-ish.

The last rocket recovered post harvest from the corn field....please use a tracker!

That's for everyone flying at TCR, if it's likely to be off the Sod it's likely to be in the corn on the Northeast side of the field.
Ooof, that's rough. IIRC, ~2000 feet single deploy is safe for the corn, depending on wind. Is that roughly accurate?

We shall see if I make it out this year or not. Lots of dynamic schedule changes happening, and a lot of personal things happening as well. It will probably come down to the wire for me making a go/no go decision

We shall see if I make it out this year or not. Lots of dynamic schedule changes happening, and a lot of personal things happening as well. It will probably come down to the wire for me making a go/no go decision
You know where to find us Kris, hopefully you can make it.

I should be there Friday and Saturday. Sadly nothing new to launch but I have many rockets that haven't flown in a while. Fun!

The WAC group project of the 80% Scale Aerobee is wrapping up. Aiming to fly on an L or M on Saturday! Gotta wrap up electronics and deployment testing, then get paint finalized. It’s been a big fun project and we are excited to show it off and get it in the air.

View attachment 596844
Nice, once you have it assembled at the launch in RTF configuration come get me and I will RSO the beast in your assembly area.

Back