EVENT SodBlaster V Labor Day Weekend 2023 ( Sept 1-4, 2023)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more question, I'm looking for the flight card on the tri-cities site and can't find it. My handwriting is so bad I like to fill these out ahead of time. Any pointers to is?
Okay...so its there...just not super easy to spot its in the middle of the Range Rules page and is blue highlighted "here" hyperlink.

Attachments

• tcr_flight_cards.pdf
    168.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks, I am hoping to buy my level 1 engine there. (38 or 54 mm, 5 pound rocket, single use, presumably an H, and if it flies well, I'll move up to an I.)
Dirk, if can't find a motor with one of the on-site vendors, come find me. I have a Aerotech I140-14A White Lightning 38 mm - DMS, a few reloadable H's and a H195-14A Blue Thunder 29 mm DMS. All that to say, I don't want to see motor availability be reason you for not completing a cert flight.

We should be there Saturday all day and Sunday morning. We'll have a silver Land Rover Discovery.

Dirk, if can't find a motor with one of the on-site vendors, come find me. I have a Aerotech I140-14A White Lightning 38 mm - DMS, a few reloadable H's and a H195-14A Blue Thunder 29 mm DMS. All that to say, I don't want to see motor availability be reason you for not completing a cert flight.

We should be there Saturday all day and Sunday morning. We'll have a silver Land Rover Discovery.
We should have TWO motor vendors onsite Chris & Harlan and Bob Grossfeld of Sunriver Rocketry.

Silly question: do we know if any of the vendors will stock Jolly Logic products? Given likely winds, I could use a Chute Release to replace the one that I broke last year and have procrastinated replacing.

Silly question: do we know if any of the vendors will stock Jolly Logic products? Given likely winds, I could use a Chute Release to replace the one that I broke last year and have procrastinated replacing.
I’ve never bought one but if I remember correctly, Bob usually has a few in his trailer.

Thanks very much! I’ll look for you to say hi in any case.

Now that we're getting closer to time, how do we feel about the wind forecast? It's nice that it's turned away from the corn, but WUnderground is predicting 15 mph winds for Sunday in Eltopia.

What direction are the corn fields in relation to the launch site? And how far?
1693497403447.png

~1800 feet per Google Maps. Gren square is the parking lot/spectator area. Red is the pad area. RSO/LCO is between the green square and those little buildings to the right. Last year, the potatoes had already been harvested when we tramped through that field. Anything not in a field is scrub.

[Edit] This is last year's arrangement.

Last edited:
The difference this year is that high power will be set up in a different location due to the main sod field being newly planted. At least that's how I interpret Dave K.'s announcement on the TCR Forum.

"Weather is looking good for this weekend's launch. The North field where we fly high power was just planted so we will be setting up HPR next to the pivot road. They have asked us to minimize foot traffic on the circle by walking on the roads and pivot tire tracks to the extent possible. We will also ask that you send only 1 or 2 persons to recover your rocket on the North field. Thanks for your understanding on this matter - just one of the nuances of flying on a sod farm."

View attachment 601234

~1800 feet per Google Maps. Gren square is the parking lot/spectator area. Red is the pad area. RSO/LCO is between the green square and those little buildings to the right. Last year, the potatoes had already been harvested when we tramped through that field. Anything not in a field is scrub.

[Edit] This is last year's arrangement.
This years arrangement will be similar layout...corn is northeast and up over 6 feet, buckwheat to southwest of flightline (wear pants and beware of pollinator bees). Other special restrictions will be in place due to field condition. Trackers are highly recommended......

The difference this year is that high power will be set up in a different location due to the main sod field being newly planted. At least that's how I interpret Dave K.'s announcement on the TCR Forum.

"Weather is looking good for this weekend's launch. The North field where we fly high power was just planted so we will be setting up HPR next to the pivot road. They have asked us to minimize foot traffic on the circle by walking on the roads and pivot tire tracks to the extent possible. We will also ask that you send only 1 or 2 persons to recover your rocket on the North field. Thanks for your understanding on this matter - just one of the nuances of flying on a sod farm."
No change to set up beyond a slight shift to straddle road to limit traffic on field.

Depends a lot on how much help we have getting things setup....but 9am is when flying is supposed to start.
What time does flying close for the day? I have a night flyer I'd like to squeeze in on Friday night, so I need to do a demo flight in daylight.

What time does flying close for the day? I have a night flyer I'd like to squeeze in on Friday night, so I need to do a demo flight in daylight.
Generally last flight is 5pm (could be 6pm though), if its FAR 101, we can fly as long as we can get people willing to run the range and the Launch Director and RSO agree.

Back