EVENT SodBlaster IV SEPT 2-5, 2022 Pasco, WA Official Announcement!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, it is looking pretty hot on Friday. Saturday 10 degrees cooler but windier (still reasonable though). BTW, for visitors needing up-to-date weather, looking up Eltopia will probably give more accurate weather results. It's at the same altitude, same farmland surroundings, and closer to the launch.

+1 for Country Mercantile if you need deli sandwiches, ice cream, and fruit. They don't keep very late hours though, so be sure to check before leaving.

Wow, it is looking pretty hot on Friday. Saturday 10 degrees cooler but windier (still reasonable though). BTW, for visitors needing up-to-date weather, looking up Eltopia will probably give more accurate weather results. It's at the same altitude, same farmland surroundings, and closer to the launch.

+1 for Country Mercantile if you need deli sandwiches, ice cream, and fruit. They don't keep very late hours though, so be sure to check before leaving.
Friday will be at or close to 104F so be prepared with lots of shade and water, the club will have two 5 gallon jugs of ice water available.

I will probably arrive a little after dinner on Friday, do some ground tests, and maybe catch some night launches.

As a reminder to everyone attending proof of current NAR or TRA membership and level will be required at registration. We will have volunteer positions open every hour during flying for Flight Safety Inspectors and an LCO.

Getting stuff prepped and packed today, heading out tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

My 13 yr son and I will be heading over some time Friday. With the high temperatures, we may not make it to the field until Saturday. Looking forward to getting some flights off as I've not flow HP since last years Sod Blaster.

My car is packed (rocket Tetris boss level achieved!), and I’m heading east in a couple of hours! I am planning on being at the sod farm bright and early tomorrow morning to prep for a couple of ambitious flights I hope to get airborne in the morning before the heat builds5D67915C-4A74-40E8-A952-2DAF96461C87.jpeg059A5CE0-B12A-4D0D-B62B-73676ADCAB4C.jpeg

This is going to be such a awesome weekend around the country for big rocketry events Hopefully there will be lots of pictures of being posted after this weekend.

Setting here tonight deciding what rockets to bring and getting them prepped. Since the July launch was scrubbed, I've really been looking forward to this one. Looking like Sunday will be the only day I can make it over, but I definitely will take a turn at LCO.

SB rockets.jpg

I'm not certified (although my wife would maintain that I'm certifiable), but I'm happy to volunteer in whatever way would be helpful. I expect to get there right after they shut down launches due to heat on Friday afternoon (but maybe I'll get lucky).

We’ve set up our little compound on the day use side and said our farewells…and are back in our motel in town. We’ll be out as soon as I can get my retired-and-used-to-sleeping-in self out to the field in the morning.

For those attending, the RSO/Pre-Flight Safety Inspections will be directly across from the range entrance...that way the RSO...yours truly...doesnt have his back to the range all day. My compound is the Keystone Cougar on the corner next to the RSO Ez-Up with the Orange and grey Ez-up...and if you miss that the Maroon and Silver F250 with the 250 gallon water tank in the back of ir is mine.

Wake-up Day 2 of SodBlaster, as soon as the irrigation moves a bit further we can run out the pad boxes and leads for high power. Yesterday turned out fantastic, the temps only hit 95°F instead of the predicted 105° due to fires from the northwest bringing smoke into the area. Had quite a few flights (it was busy) but today will be very busy!

20220903_064859.jpg

Last nights raffle and ice cream social was a blast and our sponsors generosity was simply amazing. Just to name a few...SBR Fusion Rockets and Sunriver Nature and Observatory (both also were onsite vendors), LOC PRECISION, MadCow Rocketry, LabRat Rocketry, Front Range Rocket Recovery, Boyce AeroSpace Hobbies, Stickershock 23 (banner), Loni's Signs (smaller banner), DynaSoar Rocketry, Qualmann Rocketry, Top Flight Recovery, Discount Rocketry, ASP Rocketry, SMT Designs Rocketry, Basin Sod (our landowner), Estes Rockets, if a sponsor was missed from the above list I will correct it ASAP.

The raffle and social started shortly after 5:30pm, and took about an hour and a half....then we had night launches, and socializing around the campfire until late in the night.

Until the official numbers are in we flew about 250 flights on Saturday, and I dont have numbers for Friday...yet.

123_1(6).jpeg

Last nights raffle and ice cream social was a blast and our sponsors generosity was simply amazing. Just to name a few...SBR Fusion Rockets and Sunriver Nature and Observatory (both also were onsite vendors), LOC PRECISION, MadCow Rocketry, LabRat Rocketry, Front Range Rocket Recovery, Boyce AeroSpace Hobbies, Stickershock 23 (banner), Loni's Signs (smaller banner), DynaSoar Rocketry, Qualmann Rocketry, Top Flight Recovery, Discount Rocketry, ASP Rocketry, SMT Designs Rocketry, Basin Sod (our landowner), Estes Rockets, if a sponsor was missed from the above list I will correct it ASAP.

The raffle and social started shortly after 5:30pm, and took about an hour and a half....then we had night launches, and socializing around the campfire until late in the night.

Until the official numbers are in we flew about 250 flights on Saturday, and I dont have numbers for Friday...yet.

View attachment 535955
So much raffle! It would have been hard not to win anything!

View attachment 535955
Lots of cool rockets there, but I’m particularly digging the Arapahoe in the middle front.

It was great out there yesterday 👍😊 - thanks to all!! - but man, the weather today looks beautiful! Hope y'all are having a big time out there today 😊

Many thanks to TCR for a great weekend! In no particular order:
TCR as a whole for great organization of the field, parking lot, and range
Rich for RSO'ing through most of the event and the loan (twice!) of a razor saw
Safety stand-downs and checks when there were near misses (including pausing flight ops to re-aim launch rails)
Vendors for having the goods to keep us flying
Jim P and Dave D for helping with Jr L1 certs, including a bunch of good advice to the students

My group had a great time. Three Junior L1 certs, one hooked and ready to go for Jr L1 next year, and a bunch of (mostly) successful flights.

I was eyeballing it too, Chris... Rich won't part with it!
Yes indeed I love my Arapahoe's as well as V2's and Cherokee D's(more variants of those rockets than any other type in my fleet with at least 3 or of each and the V2 I have seven of), was hoping to acquire that LOC 5.38L nosecone in the raffle, I already have the LOC 5.38S so a 5.38L would make a perfect tailcone for a 54mm motor mount.

I agree with the above comments so far! Thanks to everyone at TCR for an amazing weekend! Dave, Tammara, Rich, Will, and everyone else, you guys put on another great launch! I cannot thank you guys enough! And a huge thank you to Rich and Dave for helping to facilitate a last minute L3 cert flight!

I had 9 flights, including several firsts for me: my first cluster (3x B6 in a Estes Nike Smoke), my first 75mm, my first L, and my first M. I was able to fly the HPR alphabet of H-M over the three days, including two K flights. I was also to set a new personal best for altitude and speed this weekend. All in all, it was a very successful, yet tiring three days!

I am looking forward to when I can return to the sod farm to launch with these guys again. Hopefully it wont be a nearly 4 year wait like it was this past time!

Back