AIRFEST XXIV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Packed the trailer yesterday. Took about three hours. Counted up the fincans in the bunk beds, and came up with sixteen. Drove over to the scales, pretty close to what I expected. Well withing Logan's capabilities, and just a little over for the trailer.
Leaving tomorrow and spending the night in Tucumcari. Should be pulling into the Rocket pasture Wednesday around noon.

Just curious, will there be drag races this year? If so will they all take place from the 88 pad area?

Just curious, will there be drag races this year? If so will they all take place from the 88 pad area?
Cory, it now depends on the total impulse of all the rockets combined. With that said, the closest any HP drag race will fly from are the 60's or 70's pads.
We are planning on flying seven Kloudbuster rockets on J540's this year. This can be done from the 70's pads if the range is totally clear. This should happen late Sunday.

Last edited:
Sharon and I are planning a drag race with Adrian and CJ. Four 4" Punishers flying L900 Dark Matters. IF Bob allows us to fly them, I'm not sure you will be able to see them from the flight line.. :eek:
So. . . How far away do you need to be to fly this drag race under Tripoli Research Safety Codes?

So. . . How far away do you need to be to fly this drag race under Tripoli Research Safety Codes?

OMG, BB with his trick questions! Under the new rules answer is either 1) 1.5 miles or, 2) drag races are not allowed for more than two participants.

* Fake News *

Last edited:
L900=3868Ns x 4= 15472 total installed impulse. So this is a complex N for standoff distance which the code says 1500'. Not sure where 1500' is from the flightline but suspect the 80s bank. Looking forward to the race!

L900=3868Ns x 4= 15472 total installed impulse. So this is a complex N for standoff distance which the code says 1500'. Not sure where 1500' is from the flightline but suspect the 80s bank. Looking forward to the race!
Good answer! So now when asked where they need to fly from I can say “Cory says they need to fly from the 80’s bank!” Keeps me from being the bad guy about how far out they need to go.

Whoa whoa whoa...back the bus up....First not even good at math, second 70s pad look 1500ish ft from the LCO table to my eye. Not cool Bob!
Cory, no worries! Actually the 70’s pads are set at just under 1300’ from the flight line so they do not meet the offset distance set in the latest revision of the RSC so they have to go out to the 80’s. The point of my original question was to make folks aware of WHY they fly from way out there. It’s not me.

IT'S OFFICIAL!
We just received approval from the FAA for Chris Short to fly his Class 3 project at AirFest!
What kind of Class 3 project you ask?
Chris plans on flying one of his workhorses, "Orange Crush".
Orange Crush is 16.5' long and 7.5" in diameter. Powering this beast to almost 32,000' will be a research P-6500 motor with a burn time of 8.5 seconds! I was going to share the weight of the rocket but found this specification even more interesting. Stuffed inside the P-6500's motor case is 62 pounds of propellant!
AirFest is now three days away! For those of you coming, please travel safe. For those of you who haven't made up your mind to attend, you are going to miss this one crazy cool flight and hundreds of others that are nearly as spectacular.
See you on the Rocket Pasture in a few days,
Bob

This may also suffice as CRM tribute according to Dr. David Reese:
299992_0_1_1.jpg

Last edited:
I'll stop now before I get kicked off this thread--

As Bob B. said, you are are missing out if you don't make it to Airfest the premier launch each year (at least from the Atlantic to Salt Lake City).

DON'T MISS IT!!!!

BTW, got a mongo steroid shot in my last natural leg joint approx 1:30pm this afternoon--should give me the juice to power through my 6 volunteer slots!!!

What people will do for a great rocket launch!

IT'S OFFICIAL!
We just received approval from the FAA for Chris Short to fly his Class 3 project at AirFest!
What kind of Class 3 project you ask?
Chris plans on flying one of his workhorses, "Orange Crush".
Orange Crush is 16.5' long and 7.5" in diameter. Powering this beast to almost 32,000' will be a research P-6500 motor with a burn time of 8.5 seconds! I was going to share the weight of the rocket but found this specification even more interesting. Stuffed inside the P-6500's motor case is 62 pounds of propellant!
AirFest is now three days away! For those of you coming, please travel safe. For those of you who haven't made up your mind to attend, you are going to miss this one crazy cool flight and hundreds of others that are nearly as spectacular.
See you on the Rocket Pasture in a few days,
Bob

Mumble, Mumble.......why did I have to miss AirFest this year?......Mumble, Mumble

BTW, got a mongo steroid shot in my last natural leg joint approx 1:30pm this afternoon--should give me the juice to power through my 6 volunteer slots!!!

What people will do for a great rocket launch!
Tim, if it makes you feel better, the core of us have to also takes shots after a full day of working the range!

Tim, if it makes you feel better, the core of us have to also takes shots after a full day of working the range!

Highly recommended for short stints; just stay away from long-term use (at least that's what my Ortho doc says).

That's it--we'll have a troupe of Kloudbuster's superheros to protect the pasture!

Last edited:
I went to a four day drinking party and a rocket launch broke out.

Latest posts

Back