AIRFEST XXIV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will have a much better chance of landing in the milo fields:
065.jpg

That little orange dot behind Sharon is CJ, recovering his Jimbo Jart. It's not all plowed fields out there.
Like Lance says "You only need a tracker for the rockets you want to get back".

A few years ago in the field just to the northeast of the pasture there was a variety of sorghum planted that had a sticky, waxy sap that transferred to anything that walked through it.

I just can't believe Airfest is here again..
Time just goes by so fast..
I can't tell you how my wife Sandy and I look forward to this launch..
What a fantastic time,, what a fantastic launch..
I've always said, getting anything done at your table is near impossible at Airfest..
Every time the LCO's voice comes over the loudspeakers and he announces the next flight you say to yourself,,
wait,, what did he just say,, ohh mann,, I've got to see this one... lol...
Flight after flight after flight,,
all day long,, day after day..
It's just incredible..
It seems every serious rocketeer in the country has a serious rocket / flight that he / she
has been working on building all year just for this event ( waiver )...

Mannn we just can't wait...

As always,
My wife Sandy and I are so honored and humbled
by the warmth of the entire community toward us..
We'd like to pay back a little something this year at Airfest..
We're going to cook an old time favorite dish of ours..
Someone asked if it was lo cal,, nope, sorry,, it's not, but it sure is delicious..lol..
It's called Penne a la Vodka with chicken,,
but we always make it with spaghetti..
We think you're really going to love it..
Won't you all come stop by the Onebadhawk encampment for dinner on us on Friday 8/31/2018..
Bring your appetite,, lol...

Teddy

I second Teddy's comments about the barrage of incredible flights. My goal is to strike a balance between prepping, flying, and observing. Some folks spend thousands on a single flight - and with a thousand flights, spectating time is a must. Also (PSA) volunteering is essential. Right now, there are quite a few duty slots that have no coverage for one or more of the time blocks.

I love going to our local annual regional launch on the Bonneville Salt Flats. First, it’s such a surreal place. Second, we see some really fun projects and a lot of certification flights. I did my level 1 and 2 flights there and am planning on a level 3 flight next year. But I freely admit that I’m seriously excited about going to Airfest, even though I get to drive 13 hours to get there. I only wish I had more time to prepare to bring something a bit more worth watching. More than anything, I’m looking forward to reuniting with friends I’ve met along the way, both at launches and through this forum.

Joe

There will be many TAP and/or Prefect and/or TRA Board Members on site mid-day Thursday and throughout AIRFest. IDK where you are located (I wish people would add their location for many reasons), so arrange for it near you in the next two weeks or come out early and take care of it.

There is going to be a lot of work going on Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. I invite you to come out and pitch in then take the test.

--Lance.
I will be there early Thursday, more than willing to help set-up. Who should I look for to get running orders?

I will be there early Thursday, more than willing to help set-up. Who should I look for to get running orders?
Cory,
Most of us "locals" start showing up on Thursday around 1PM or so. When you get there the safety fence, pads, and pad signs will already be set up (This will be done this coming Sunday affectionately known as "Setup Sunday"). We will begin setting out the bank boxes, pad cables, LCO table and electronics and the sound system soon after enough of us get there. We certainly would welcome the help! The quicker we get done the earlier "beer thirty" starts!
See you in a little over a week,
Bob

I'm looking forward to the drive this year. Last year we almost died driving our old 98 GMC. Fully loaded, the trailer was too much for that old truck. Now, with the new 2018 one ton, it should be a breeze.
We plan to get there Wednesday, and help with setup Thursday. We planned to do this last year, but the setup crew was so slick, they were almost done before we noticed them working.
All our rockets are prepped, and we plan to pack the trailer on Sunday.
Once you have been to an Airfest, you have to go back, again and again.

Getting antsy... Rockets all prepped. Car packing list made... Things forgotten on the list, still needing to be remembered :rolleyes:o_O

All AIRFest 24 participants, please read Kevin's note below regarding the problem TRA HQ is having with their membership card printer.

You will need to show proof of TRA or NAR membership when you finalize your AIRFest registration at the field; if you don't have your card, please bring your receipt. Either paper copy or on your mobile device is fine. Consider downloading it to the device in case your internet service is poor.

Thanks!

Post by Kevin Trojanowski from TRA Facebook group ...

"HQ Status - The card printer is currently experiencing difficulties, rendering HQ unable to generate new membership cards. The printer will get sent off for repairs, we do not currently have an ETA for its return.

If you renew via PayPal, your PayPal receipt is sufficient to show your membership is current. If you have renewed via other methods and need proof of membership, send HQ an email and an email will be sent back documenting your membership status."

Getting antsy... Rockets all prepped. Car packing list made... Things forgotten on the list, still needing to be remembered :rolleyes:o_O

You just read my mind Adrian..
Sandy and I are getting antsy too..
We're just about ready to leave,,
still a bit of packing / loading to do..
This dinner has quite a bit to pack on it's own..
We're both so excited to do this..
We're so happy to be able to give back something..
Thank you all for all of the support for so long..
We're expecting to come up with between 200 and 250 servings..
Friday afternoon,, we're hoping it'll be ready by 4 or 5..
Come by and bring your appetite,, lol.. ( ohh,, and a chair and a drink too )
This is going to be smokin cool, fun, and a great evening and launch..
We're just so excited,, lol..

Teddy

All packed up for Airfest. I have seven rockets ready to go H through L.. Also got my Balls rocket finished, which is a minimal diameter 4 inch N project. Cannot wait to get down to the rocket pasture and some fabulous flying. Wooo Hoo. See y’all Friday at the range. Andy

You just read my mind Adrian..
Sandy and I are getting antsy too..
We're just about ready to leave,,
still a bit of packing / loading to do..
This dinner has quite a bit to pack on it's own..
We're both so excited to do this..
We're so happy to be able to give back something..
Thank you all for all of the support for so long..
We're expecting to come up with between 200 and 250 servings..
Friday afternoon,, we're hoping it'll be ready by 4 or 5..
Come by and bring your appetite,, lol.. ( ohh,, and a chair and a drink too )
This is going to be smokin cool, fun, and a great evening and launch..
We're just so excited,, lol..

Teddy

Ok
I just got a dopey look from Sandy...
There no way we’ll have dinner ready that early... There’s just too much food prep to do... She says it’ll be a wonder if it’s ready by 5,, she said 6 is more realistic.....
No matter,, this is a favorite old recipe of ours and your going to love it no matter when you eat it,, lol....

Man are we looking forward to this.....

Teddy

Ok
I just got a dopey look from Sandy...
There no way we’ll have dinner ready that early... There’s just too much food prep to do... She says it’ll be a wonder if it’s ready by 5,, she said 6 is more realistic.....
No matter,, this is a favorite old recipe of ours and your going to love it no matter when you eat it,, lol....

Man are we looking forward to this.....

Teddy
Teddy, mix that stuff up for breakfast. I'm sure Sandy won't mind.

Lol

Range closes at 5pm so 6pm isn't a bad target. We can have happy hour. 8^)

Back