AIRFEST XXIV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Justin Griffin needs to make a two stage…

Wait a minute, I thought he already did, but I might be Psychic...

Sharon and I had a great Airfest, thanks to all the Kloudbusters and volunteers that made it happen.
We left early yesterday morning (Monday) and drove to Holbrook, AZ. then on into Goodyear this morning. Normally, a 13 hour drive would wear me out, but the buzz from a great launch and our new truck made it a breeze.
It was a bit windy on Friday, so we each got one rocket up and quit early. Sharon flew her Jimbo Jart on a K400 to 6200 ft. and I flew my 3" Punisher on a J250 to 4778 ft.
Saturday was much better with three flights for me and two for Sharon. I started with my L3 rocket "Red tailed Extreme" and a new EX motor with our signature "Not your wimpy red". Burnsim called it an M1805, but it performed much like the AT M1550 redline, getting right up there to 14,323 ft. Then we both flew our 3" Darkstar's on a couple of 54mm EX L1374's . Mine went to 11,446 ft. and Sharon's got 10,102 ft.
After lunch, we put together the 4" Punisher drag race with Adrian and CJ, but CJ was MIA when it came time to launch, so it was just three rockets on the 80's pads. Bad angle to watch them from the away RSO tent, but I'm pretty sure I got off the pad first, and my 13,077 ft. beat Sharon's 12,671 and Adrians, but I can't remember what he got.
Sunday was our last day of flying, but my first flight made me a happy boy. "CJ's two stage" launched with the K2050 Super Thunder and staged perfectly with the K160 long burn. Both parts recovered easily, with the booster landing by the away RSO tent and the sustainer landing just North of the rocket pasture. Special thanks to CJ for helping out with the launch and recovering the booster. This flight only went to 11,779 ft. but made my day. And to have CJ, Jim Jarvis and Fred T. all there to see it was great.
All through the morning, there was a thunderstorm just to the North that threatened to close things down, but held off long enough for a couple more flights. Sharon flew her Super Jart, a 5" rocket with a 75mm MMT on a small 3 grain "NYWR" EX motor, L779. It flew to 6209 ft. and my final flight was "Redline", an Ultimate Darkstar on an N2220 Dark Matter to 11,336 ft. It was our longest and easiest recovery, landing beside the road 2.5 miles North.
Ten great flights in three days, it just doesn't get any better than that!

Farrand/Griffin Airfest 24 debrief:

Griffin started us off Friday on a good tone with his 6” Demon on a research 98/12,500 Albino Assault baby N to 16K.

Baby N ???

That’s just Booshey!

Of course it's a "Baby N". But I've always heard it referred to as a "Strong G". ;)

After the Falcon was recovered, Scott Kormeier from Loki Research and I teamed up to fly a 3” rocket on a custom one-off motor, an M-1856 Loki Red. Great flight to 37.7K, very pleased with how it flew and altitude achieved.

This was a beautiful flight!

I hoping some farmer finds my Orangehawk 54mm MD. I found the top, but the booster fell under drogue after separation.

I hoping some farmer finds my Orangehawk 54mm MD. I found the top, but the booster fell under drogue after separation.
Just out of curiosity, did you have your name or TRA number on it? Either of those on a rocket makes getting it back to the owner much easier.

I made my first ever trip to the rocket pasture! I had an AWESOME time! The Kloudbusters put on a fantastic launch! I flew 4 rockets. A Wildman Interceptor 98 on a AT M1550R to 12,000' ish, a Wildman 4" Punisher on a AT L900DM to 12,000' ish, My L3 nekid PR Mad Maxx on a N3300R (my first ever N!!) to 9900' ish, and finally, a Wildman Wild Thing Extreme on a CTI L1355SS to 11,000' ish.
As you can see, I keep very detailed records on my flights... :rolleyes::rolleyes:
But all flights worked like they were supposed to and everything was recovered easily. Reservations have already been made for next year!!! :):cool::cool:

I'm also hoping the farmer finds my third stage. Bob, at one time it had my name and phone number written on the coupler, but it probably wore off; ). It should be easy to identify, it's the 3-inch gold rocket with an interstage instead of a nose cone.

I had a tracker on each stage, but I lost telemetry on the third-stage Telementrum soon after it cleared the tower (probably a loose power wire). There's a good chance there was recovery deployment (I know the Raven was functional since the stage lit).

Judging from where the other stages landed, I guess it's directly south of Rocket Pasture, either just north of K44 or the adjacent field just south of it.

I'm also hoping the farmer finds my third stage. Bob, at one time it had my name and phone number written on the coupler, but it probably wore off; ). It should be easy to identify, it's the 3-inch gold rocket with an interstage instead of a nose cone.

I had a tracker on each stage, but I lost telemetry on the third-stage Telementrum soon after it cleared the tower (probably a loose power wire). There's a good chance there was recovery deployment (I know the Raven was functional since the stage lit).

Judging from where the other stages landed, I guess it's directly south of Rocket Pasture, either just north of K44 or the adjacent field just south of it.

Wow Fred, good luck!

Am in awe of your staged flights. Loved the last one on Sunday and hearing the 4th stage light---superb!!

I know you all have heard this before, but I’m going to ask regardless. Did anyone happen to get a picture of a little black/blue/white rocket launched from the tower next to the 78 rail? It was a 38mm min diameter K.

Fred, as soon as it stops raining and drys up a bit, I'll take my Cub down there and do a bit of searching. You sure can see a lot from 300 feet and 40 mph. Being able to land in the field helps with recovery.

Fred, as soon as it stops raining and drys up a bit, I'll take my Cub down there and do a bit of searching. You sure can see a lot from 300 feet and 40 mph. Being able to land in the field helps with recovery.

Now that is service!

I'll add my thanks to all those that plan, coordinate and pull off this launch. It is a true pleasure to attend, and I already have my hotel reserved for next year.

That's a really great thing for you to do, thanks.

- driving up on Wed
- sunset Wed
- a big stonkin' K that needed 1515 at the 50s
- a research G with custom electronics that instead provided surprise geology

+1 on Sandy & Teddy's dinner, they even let me hold the big wooden spoonView attachment 360675View attachment 360676View attachment 360677View attachment 360678

Just a slight correction here...that wasn't a K in that rocket. It was an L (1520, I think?). That was Eric Bessman's "shakedown" flight on his rocket that he got his L3 on the next day.

Congrats, Eric!

I know you all have heard this before, but I’m going to ask regardless. Did anyone happen to get a picture of a little black/blue/white rocket launched from the tower next to the 78 rail? It was a 38mm min diameter K.
I *may* have gotten a video of the up part, but not sure, will have to look footage in the next few weeks.

Oh man,
Where too start..
Sandy and I had such a wonderful time,
but that's nothing new..
The flights were just absolutely insane,,
ooopps,, nothing new again,, lol..
Our feed the masses thing went off great,,
thank everybody for all the well wishes and good thoughts..
This was in no small part thanks to Bob and Bill Dixons gracious help and hard work..
Thank you all so much,,
thank you to all of the hard working KloudBusters..
And a special thanks to Bob and Lance..
It seems like the entire country thanks you all,, lol..
What an unbelievable time..
Sandy and I just can't wait until next year..

Teddy

Had a great time as always.

Ended up losing my 3" minimum diameter on an M685W. Lost my tracker signal around a minute after burnout. The nosecone/upper tube and shredded parachute showed up at RSO at some point. Looks like the upper tube had enough and folded. The up part looked great, I'm guessing the rest of the rocket continued onward and came in hot south of the flight line.

Had a great time as always.

Ended up losing my 3" minimum diameter on an M685W. Lost my tracker signal around a minute after burnout. The nosecone/upper tube and shredded parachute showed up at RSO at some point. Looks like the upper tube had enough and folded. The up part looked great, I'm guessing the rest of the rocket continued onward and came in hot south of the flight line.

Was that the long burn that looked like it cocked onto the wind? Might have had a failed apogee event and suffered a high speed deployment of the main? Sorry to hear. That’s a bummer!

Sunday was our last day of flying, but my first flight made me a happy boy. "CJ's two stage" launched with the K2050 Super Thunder and staged perfectly with the K160 long burn. Both parts recovered easily, with the booster landing by the away RSO tent and the sustainer landing just North of the rocket pasture.
I enjoyed meeting you and Sharon, and watching your flight. Two-stagers are fun!

I was only able to be at the launch on Sunday, as our club launch was on Saturday. Long trip for a day, but we had fun. I put together a short video of the two launches and my flight at Airfest (K-1200 to K-160, 15340 feet).

Jim

Jim,

Wow, catching that recovery with your drone was great! Nice video and thanks for posting it. Looking forward to your BALLS flight in a couple of weeks.

Tony

Jim,

Wow, catching that recovery with your drone was great! Nice video and thanks for posting it. Looking forward to your BALLS flight in a couple of weeks.

Tony
I'm getting better at figuring out how to track the landing, but it's still pretty much just luck when it happens.

Jim

What a great Airfest! Flew my two stage on a research L510 to a CTI J400SS to about 9600’ and recovered ALMOST everything Saturday, Henry’s Mammoth on a F27-8Redline with perfect recovery Sunday morning, and my Adventurer 3 on a research L877 Way-Slo-Side to over 10800’ recovered JUST before the rain started Sunday afternoon.

Finally got around to editing and uploading the pictures I got from last weekend. Didn’t take a ton of pictures, but here is a link to the album.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98606523@N08/albums/72157697910043142

Here are a few of my favorites.

A3 L-877 Way-Slo-Side Cropped by Cory Brennan, on Flickr

Adrian Cropped by Cory Brennan, on Flickr

Big Sparkie Crop 2 by Cory Brennan, on Flickr

KC Rocket on Loki Cocktail Crop by Cory Brennan, on Flickr

Henry Mammoth 1 by Cory Brennan, on Flickr

Tripoli Wisconsin Hi-Alt Crop 2 by Cory Brennan, on Flickr

80s Pads Saturday Morning 5 by Cory Brennan, on Flickr

Thanks again to all the Kloudbusters who make this event possible year in and year out. I really enjoyed hanging out and setting up on Thursday and plan to make it a yearly endeavor.

Teddy and Sandy – Thank yall so much for providing dinner and a cool place to hang out Friday evening – it was a highlight of my weekend!

Thanks again to Jackie and Tim for everything Wildman brings to the launch.

Finally a big shout out to all the vendors who showed up and worked through the weather providing launch support for every kind of rocketeer all weekend long.

What a great Airfest! Flew my two stage on a research L510 to a CTI J400SS to about 9600’ and recovered ALMOST everything Saturday, Henry’s Mammoth on a F27-8Redline with perfect recovery Sunday morning, and my Adventurer 3 on a research L877 Way-Slo-Side to over 10800’ recovered JUST before the rain started Sunday afternoon.

Finally got around to editing and uploading the pictures I got from last weekend. Didn’t take a ton of pictures, but here is a link to the album.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98606523@N08/albums/72157697910043142

Here are a few of my favorites.

A3 L-877 Way-Slo-Side Cropped by Cory Brennan, on Flickr

Adrian Cropped by Cory Brennan, on Flickr

Big Sparkie Crop 2 by Cory Brennan, on Flickr

KC Rocket on Loki Cocktail Crop by Cory Brennan, on Flickr

Henry Mammoth 1 by Cory Brennan, on Flickr

Tripoli Wisconsin Hi-Alt Crop 2 by Cory Brennan, on Flickr

80s Pads Saturday Morning 5 by Cory Brennan, on Flickr

Thanks again to all the Kloudbusters who make this event possible year in and year out. I really enjoyed hanging out and setting up on Thursday and plan to make it a yearly endeavor.

Teddy and Sandy – Thank yall so much for providing dinner and a cool place to hang out Friday evening – it was a highlight of my weekend!

Thanks again to Jackie and Tim for everything Wildman brings to the launch.

Finally a big shout out to all the vendors who showed up and worked through the weather providing launch support for every kind of rocketeer all weekend long.

Hey Cory Like the photos of my Royals Homerun rocket. Can I get copies of the originals from you some how?

Sorry guys, named them the best I could but definitely see Adrian's rocket still on the pad in the photo labeled Adrian :oops:.

Sorry guys, named them the best I could but definitely see Adrian's rocket still on the pad in the photo labeled Adrian :oops:.

Hey, great photos, Cory!!! Some familiar faces and rockets in there. And loved the 2 stage flight! It was nice being pad neighbors!!!

-Eric (the guy in the crazy Hawaiin rocket shirt)-

Latest posts

Back