ThunderStruck 2012 Registration Open (Indiana)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell us more "Oh Sly One".........So far we haven't heard from you on this one yet......:surprised:

Uh, just want to make sure I don't embarrass myself... :blush:

(although I do think I have more of a chance with speed vs altitude)

Last edited:
Good news everyone! Bob and Neil at magazine have thrown in a few prizes for Thunderstruck, and the Farmageddon Mach Madness event specifically -- including DVDs, free magazines, and even full-year subscriptions. There's even more incentive now to beat the pants off Gus at his home field :horse:

David....don't forget to remind the fliers, you will be heading up the effort to produce an article for an up coming issue of ROCKETS Magazine...featuring Thunderstruck 2012 :shock:

Neil

David....don't forget to remind the fliers, you will be heading up the effort to produce an article for an up coming issue of ROCKETS Magazine...featuring Thunderstruck 2012 :shock:

Neil

Nope....!!!:y:

"Admit nothing....deny, deny,deny everything" [CJ'ism]

What happens at ThunderStruck MUST stay at Thunderstruck, this year anyhow.

You ain't here....ya miss it.

Of course I suppose David could do a milk-toast mild-man version for all the non attenders to peruse through, and wish they had made it to the actual HE- MAN EVENT.

By the way I just got here [Ohio] today....Brrrrrr 28 degrees.... when I left yesterday it was 76 out. I even had to buy some socks & boots. Not needed from whence I came.

I must really like you guys.

I wonder what stupid, alcohol induced, nocturnal idiotic AP related endeavors I will become involved with this year?:confused2:

Ideas anyone?

Keep them to yourself for now.....remember ..... "they know I've been here, just never been caught".

PS. Please...... no one else try to kill, maim, or otherwise do bodily harm to myself or Darryl. I still have nightmares about that huge cruise missile punching a hole in his trailer between the 2 of us while plotting our next mischievous mis-adventure. If you happen to overhear us & want to be left out of the evil endeavors,just ask. Putting a projectile through one of our thick skulls is NOT a subtle hint. It is however a "rude awakening"

Last edited:
No Manny you may not...It is very kind of you to offer putting your dad in charge of the results but....but, since "Team Ballestero" will be competing...i can not have an impartial judge involved in the tally....."Eagle Eyes Cash" has volunteered his services and thats it.
Okay

2. The "Manny's" with Carbon Nightmare on a CTI-M3700.

My money's on that guy, I hear he builds some killer rockets:cool:

Manny...I'm going too make you wish you had stayed home that weekend and worked on your Taylor Swift scrapbooks......:cry:

Would you like to view them at the event? I can bring them.:roll:

one of you clowns gave the Wildman a serious bug this last weekend at "Bongzilla"

Sorry Tim....................

$1000 gift certificate and my cheapo ex-bowling trophy

Both will be mine!!!

Manny

Ok....:eyeroll: this is where you two little monkeys disappeared to....our forum has gotten too quiet....

On the subject of the "Farmageddon Mach Madness Event"......No Manny you may not...It is very kind of you to offer putting your dad in charge of the results but....but, since "Team Ballestero" will be competing...i can not have an impartial judge involved in the tally....."Eagle Eyes Cash" has volunteered his services and thats it.

So far we have commitments from.....
1. Jason "Hot Tub" Griffin flying his Space Cowboy on a CTI-L935.
2. The "Manny's" with Carbon Nightmare on a CTI-M3700.
3. "Don Claude" and his scratch built on a CTI-L1440.
4. Tim "The Chi-Town Hustler" Lehr 29mm dia. scratch on a super secret "Special Sauce" Jeroen mixed 29mm.
5. And ME.......Sam-I-Am on a CTI-N10,000.....

Your all going down....hard....crunch.....

Jason you should know better than too pick on someone smaller than you...:no:

Manny...I'm going too make you wish you had stayed home that weekend and worked on your Taylor Swift scrapbooks......:cry:

I plan to have everything pre-prepped so that when i get there on saturday afternoon i can hand it off to "Lumberjack" while i get my day-glo vest on and then i press that button.....its all over in one second....

"There are going to be cows five miles away squirt'n chocolate milk for the next few days."

I called and, talked to Jackie last night as one of you clowns gave the Wildman a serious bug this last weekend at "Bongzilla" and he's still on the couch....proably as we speak....I wanted too know how my order for my "Atomic Laxative" was coming along and when it would arrive.....

Seems she didn't know that i put Tim down for a $1000 gift certificate and my cheapo ex-bowling trophy i'm donating too the cause.....

You heard it hear first Tim's fronting "Big Money" on this one boys......

"Run what you brung....and, hope you brought enough."

Second place is first loser....
Third place is second loser....:rofl:

Darn you Gus and T-struck crew! I was all prepared for a nice relaxing weekend when you had to put up this little challenge. I guess I'll pull an old friend out of semi-retirement for Farmageddon...3" "Carbon Slipper" on a CTI M3100 White Thunder. She has one flight under her wings...Mach 2.16 on a slow burning motor....time to up the average thrust and decrease the total impulse! Gotta dig the tower out of the attic!

8X10-4569_Sample1.jpg

-Eric-

Darn you Gus and T-struck crew! I was all prepared for a nice relaxing weekend when you had to put up this little challenge. I guess I'll pull an old friend out of semi-retirement for Farmageddon...3" "Carbon Slipper" on a CTI M3100 White Thunder. She has one flight under her wings...Mach 2.16 on a slow burning motor....time to up the average thrust and decrease the total impulse! Gotta dig the tower out of the attic!

8X10-4569_Sample1.jpg

-Eric-

Wow, I might as well not donate my $25!

Gus,

You will have to edit my motor. I will NOT be flying the L935. After many phone calls up north and a few sims ran, I found the L935 WOULD break the waiver. I have selected another motor that was hand picked out by the one and only Dr. J. I will not disclose the motor choice, as it is not listed in the rules to do so. I will be happy to reveal my secret weapon after the race. I will just need someone to hold my trophy while I remove the motor to show you what it was.

Looking forward to a great launch. Mr. Tim D, glad to hear you joined in on the race.

Darryl, YES I will join your slow and low drag race......I might lose, The only 4'' rocket I own that will fly a motor that small is a Lil' Rascal.....it is a 3 pound 2 foot tall midget.

See ya all there.

Last edited:

Would you like to view them at the event? I can bring them.:roll:

Wow, Manny. Kelly was very excited to hear that you are a Taylor Swift fan, too. She went to a concert in November, and is looking forward to comparing favorite Taylor memories. (Yeah, I told her we were going to a TS weekend. Her interpretation of TS is different than mine.)

:wink:

Ring.....ring.....ring....

"Piepenburg Trucking... You buy it...we fly it on 18 wheels....how can i help you?"
Russsssss.... ...
"Wildman!.......What's going on my old friend.....?"
Rararah..........rrrrrr....*cough* *cough*......rah.....
" Dude....you sound rough,......you going to make it?"
Res......rarararara.....1000 rollars......RARARAHRRRRR....*cough*cough*cough*.
"Yah! Jackie and, i thought THAT would be an awesome donation from Wildman's too the Mach Madness Event!"
Ruuuuusssssss........@#&$%*cough*?&@$#*cough*.......
"TIM! Your fadding out and, I really shouldn't be talking on my cell phone while driving..."
RRRRUUUUSSSS!!!!!........click...

The business of my business is the utmost of professionalism and safety while at work....Rocketry provides me a way too have ALOT of fun with ALOT of great people away from that world.

Tim and i go way back and, I treasure our friendship......whatever Wildman Rocketry donates to the winner in this contest will be greatly appreciated.......no matter the dollar amount.

I would also like too reconize Neil and Bob at Rockets Magazine for their very thoughtfull and well appreciated donations too this event!

Thank-you......

Now if you would excuse me, i'd better get this truck off this ramp and take care of a few customers tonight....

Last edited:
Wow, Manny. Kelly was very excited to hear that you are a Taylor Swift fan, too.

I hate to break it to her hard but this is the kind of music I actually listen to.......... [YOUTUBE]BkaSKkHYpJA[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry Kelly!

3" "Carbon Slipper" on a CTI M3100 White Thunder

Well, this just got a little more interesting..............similar rocket and motor to me..................:kill:

Manny

I hate to break it to her hard but this is the kind of music I actually listen to..........

(Sound of cat being mauled to death by a grizzly bear...)

Wow, I must be getting old.... I didn't understand a word they said / sang / screamed / ...

I remember when my dad said that about MY music. Pink Floyd & CSN&Y seem so tame now.

Man... I wish i could drive :sad:

Ben, I haven't forgotten about you... Kelly may not go now, as Manny has completely smashed her tender young heart. So, we may be able to work something out.

Will a jolly logic altimeter 2 count? Not exactly "downloadable" but you can write down the data from the LCD. If so, I'm in the hunt with a 29mm scratch rocket.

Hey everyone....I'm proud too announce that is official!

Along with the Wildman Ky. Drag Race we will also be having a Mach Madness contest spread out over the course of the three day event!

Officially known as "The Thunderstruck 2012 Farmageddon Mach Madness Event".

The rules are posted on our forum at Indiana Rocketry but, for quick review here they are........

1. The event starts at range open on Friday and runs till 3pm on Sunday.
2. $25 buys you in too the contest.....fly as many times as you want...fly as many rockets you want all weekend for just a one time fee....
3. The rocket must have one motor only in it.....No clusters, airstarting, staging, or multi-staging.
4. The motor may be EX or commercial.
5. DO NOT break the waiver.....automatic disqualification.
6. After your flight, the rocket MUST be returned to the LCO table and shown to be complete and re-fly-a-ble in a reasonable amount of time....No missing parts, zippers, items needing too be re-epoxied.
7. At the table the download must be done from an ACCEL. capable altimeter......NO BARO data accepted.
8. If the download requires you to pull it too a laptop, please bring it.
9. Fastest speed to the second decimal place MACH wise determines winner.....ie 2.76, 3.12, 1.87......in case of a tie.... feet per second also recorded wins.
10. You must be of appropriate age and cert. level for the rocket you are flying.
11. You may kick the chute/streamer out at apogee or dual deploy.
12. The rocket MUST be pointed in a straight up attitude. NO extreme angling.

There can only be one winner, the prize is a trophy supplied by me....you win it...its yours, no rotation here. We are also working on a gift certificate from Wildman Rocketry for the winner.....

SOOOOOO......Let the smack talking begin......

I'm going to go for Friday - one advantage of being the "boss".... Looks like I'll now be launching with three baby N's......

Wow, that's a lot of TV quotes for someone without a TV.

I'm still negotiating with my boss for the weekend, but if present, I'll be glad to help. What day are you planning to launch her?

I'll have my Jayhawk with an M3400 WT, fresh from her weather scrub on Sunday at MWP9. 160 pounds, 1515 on one side and unistrut on the other. Sounds like you'll have something that will hold it.

I hate to break it to her hard but this is the kind of music I actually listen to.......... [YOUTUBE]BkaSKkHYpJA[/YOUTUBE]

I hate too be cliche'......You call that music?

I was listening too Mercyfull Fate and King Diamond before your parents met....

They shot the album (yes album) cover for Diary of a Madman in my bedroom....

I still laugh when i see a KISS Destroyer poster and think "Who are the G*Y clowns?"

Come on kid......shock me....."growls are not lyrics"

Coming from "El Viego", While i was putting together my nosecone AV bay on sunday up here at the "Tree Farm" i was listening too the boys...who make the noise....from Des Moines".....That's right....SLIPKNOT

Don't make me go "Psychosocial" on you at Thunderstruck.......:dark:

"No you may not"

To clarify........

When i made the rules for the "Farmageddon Mach Madness Event"....there was more thought put into them then i think most people understand...

When it comes to altimeters and general discussion pertaining too them, you can open up a big can of worms....hence requiring the altimeters for this contest to have accel. data to go along with the baro side.

Now, we all know that Tripoli went back and modified their records for altitude flights due too alot of squabbling and general unhappiness over the variety and accuracy of what was out there......They chose the R****s altimeter too be their sole source for record attempts....

Do i agree with them?.........No.
Do i understand why they chose the R****s?........Yes.

It can fit in anything down to a 29mm tube...

Alot of you know that i like my Stratologgers, and RRCX altimeters for 99.9% of my flights but, when i absolutely have to hit it hard...and i mean HARD its MARSA54 for me......thats my :2:

With that being said, we currently have two contests planned for the weekend......Good friend, and friend of the club Daryl Hankes has a low altitude contest planned where you buy a casing and a reload.......Thank-you Daryl...

Mine.....You pay a flat fee of $25.....you bring an arm full of rockets.....a boatload of motors and, fly as much as you want too win.....for $25 bucks..

You have a cheap trophy, gift certificates, dvd's, and bragging rights too win.

Now, lets go back to the "With that being said" thing.....
1. You are allowed to fly any diameter rocket you choose.....
2. You are allowed to fly any motor you choose....
3. You are allowed to fly commercial or EX.....Want to talk to Gary or Jeroen or your favorite "cookie baker"? Go ahead.....Got an old Kosdon(nuff said) motor lying around that isn't certified.....go ahead...
4. You can kick a streamer or chute out at apogee or dual deploy.....no charges if you choose.....
5. You can use a recording altimeter to record data only.....
6. No where did i say that you couldn't tack fins on a motor case and stick a nosecone on it and blow a chute out at the top...with motor ejection.
7. If i change the rules this week....what will you want me to change next week or the week after?

Now do i think i'm going to win with Sam and an N10K? No....
Why am i doing it?
I've done it twice in minimum dia. carbon rockets and, IT'S FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!

Ok......if this becomes an issue....i....will go over to Wildman's trailer on Saturday.....and put a "deposit" down on a....RR.....RRR.....RRRRRRRR:eyeroll:....altimeter that you can "borrow" from me to use as a recording device.....

I do not want my friends to feel left out of this very fun and awesome event and, i would encourage all of you to pursue an altimeter with baro and accel. data capabilities.....maybe.....maybe....different than the one mentioned above.

Here goes.....I will have put in my usual 70 hour work week not counting the 10 hour commute by Saturday at noon......if i get in my vehicle and drive up to the field and find people entered in the contest squabbling about.....
1. Data not to their liking....
2. Their "Sims":puke: not matching their flight data on their $30 altimeter....
3. Using formulations and calculations to readjust data from less than accurate equipment.....

I'm going to have a little talk with you behind Tim's trailer......

You have 37 1/2 days to come up with a way to win the contest.....

I have given you enough rope to either tie my legs together and pull me off my feet.....or hang yourself....

Crystal?

Last edited:
Well, this just got a little more interesting..............similar rocket and motor to me..................

'Cept I built this bird while you were still in Peewee Hockey, young grasshopper:wink:. Built in '07, last flown in '08, it's been in the hangar for a few years. And I just so happened to have an M3100 laying around (admittedly since shortly after they became certified)...figured this is a good chance to pair the two together!

Looking at sims, I'll stay just under the waiver....Manny how you gonna keep that nice carbon bird under 22k' with an extra grain on top?

Looks like this will be a fun contest!!!!:horse:

-Eric-

Good friend, and friend of the club Daryl Hankes has a low altitude contest planned where you buy a casing and a reload.......Thank-you Daryl...

Guss,
Glad to do it I'm even going to throw in a 2nd prize TBD for 1st off the pad.
That being said there are only 4 slots left,so if you want to play let me know.
Thank you,
Darryl

Looking at sims, I'll stay just under the waiver....Manny how you gonna keep that nice carbon bird under 22k' with an extra grain on top?

Good question, my bird is a little longer than yours (heavier), my motor is only .3 grains more (700 Ns more) I sim to just touching the waiver. And I use Rasaero........

Manny

Good question, my bird is a little longer than yours (heavier), my motor is only .3 grains more (700 Ns more) I sim to just touching the waiver. And I use Rasaero........

Manny

No touch-ee touch-ee. I switched motor choice to avoid touch-ee. Remember touchy=Lose-ee ;)

dixontj93060 said:
Alex, for sure you can do a Raven2 in a 29mm airframe or buy Adrian's 29mm av-bay.

Tim,

Unfortunately, if a cram a vmax into this bird, I have no room left for a raven. I can shove the jolly logic into the nose cone, and not have to worry about shielding it from motor ejection gases.

I assume everyone knows the jolly logic 2 has both a 3 axis accelerometer AND a baro built in - its not in the same class as a stratologger, or other baro only unit. The catch is there is no 'downloading' of the data. Like reading the data off the marsa4 screen rather then downloading it.

Anyway, not a big deal. I should be concentrating on the big launch anyway ;)

OK, after a few hours of simulation--I'm all in on Farmageddon!

It'll take building yet another rocket in the next 30 days and I'm going to have to shelve a couple others to get it done, but it'll be worth it (I think)... Only out the $25 entry fee assuming nominal flight and recovery. Oh, and the price of a nosecone (it's a scratch build)...

OK, after a few hours of simulation--I'm all in on Farmageddon!

It'll take building yet another rocket in the next 30 days and I'm going to have to shelve a couple others to get it done, but it'll be worth it (I think)... Only out the $25 entry fee assuming nominal flight and recovery. Oh, and the price of a nosecone (it's a scratch build)...

Welcome aboard Tim. Please remain seated until the ride has come to a complete stop. Glad you decided to join in.

So far....for the "Farmageddon Mach Madness Event"....we have.

1. Manny(Don't worry the other one will drop and so will your voice...someday.) Ballestero.
2. Jason(Gus! I've GOT to go...i was painting rockets and my kid grabbed some cans and ran off :y:) Griffin.
3. Tim(Let me run some "SIM's"......i'll be right back.:D) Dixon.
4. Claude("I designed the Black Brant rocket" Eh!) Paquin.
5. Tim(You'll be lucky if i donate a $10 gift certificate....you little #%$@!) Lehr.
6. Eric(I'm bringing a pound of cheese curds down for my good friend Gus!) Cayemberg.
7. Me and Steve(You wants me to make Manny's knees look like they had accident?)Pauling...... flying under the Public Enemy Aerospace banner.
8. Devin(I'm just showing off in front of the Purdue "Rocket Chicks") Kees.

On the sidelines and hoping they will join in......
1. Alex(If i bring it, Gus says it can fly) Z-Meister.
2. Justin(Oh...you didn't KNOW i owned one of those...did you?) Farrand.
3. Chuck(I own one of "those" too....:D.) Haskin.
4. Preston(I ALSO own one of "those" too....:D.) Nobile.
5. Chuck(I built the motors for "those things".) Swindler.
6. Victor(Well mine requires the "mini tower"....{three rods and a bucket of concrete} soooo there!) Barlow.
7. Jim(Jeroen and, i go way back.....go home everyone....) Hendrickson.
8. "Doc" David(Oh yea? Kosdon showed me how too make one of these....years ago.:neener:) Reese.
9. Sam(No more mister nice guy.....) Midkiff.
Who else?

Last edited:
We're gonna have to acquire a scoreboard like they use at the US Open...

Woods -5
Mickleson -4
Haas -3...

So far....for the "Farmageddon Mach Madness Event"....we have.

1. Manny(Don't worry the other one will drop and so will your voice...someday.) Ballestero.
2. Jason(Gus! I've GOT to go...i was painting rockets and my kid grabbed some cans and ran off :y:) Griffin.
3. Tim(Let me run some "SIM's"......i'll be right back.:D) Dixon.
4. Claude("I designed the Black Brant rocket" Eh!) Paquin.
5. Tim(You'll be lucky if i donate a $10 gift certificate....you little #%$@!) Lehr.
6. Eric(I'm bringing a pound of cheese curds down for my good friend Gus!) Cayemberg.
7. Me and Steve(You wants me to make Manny's knees look like they had accident?)Pauling...... flying under the Public Enemy Aerospace banner.
8. Devin(I'm just showing off in front of the Purdue "Rocket Chicks") Kees.

On the sidelines and hoping they will join in......
1. Alex(If i bring it, Gus says it can fly) Z-Meister.
2. Justin(Oh...you didn't KNOW i owned one of those...did you?) Farrand.
3. Chuck(I own one of "those" too....:D.) Haskin.
4. Preston(I ALSO own one of "those" too....:D.) Nobile.
5. Chuck(I built the motors for "those things".) Swindler.
6. Victor(Well mine requires the "mini tower"....{three rods and a bucket of concrete} soooo there!) Barlow.
7. Jim(Jeroen and, i go way back.....go home everyone....) Hendrickson.
8. "Doc" David(Oh yea? Kosdon showed me how too make one of these....years ago.:neener:) Reese.
9. Sam(No more mister nice guy.....) Midkiff.
Who else?

Back