ThunderStruck 2012 Registration Open (Indiana)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a look at the latest launch participant from this weekend. Can you say, Mass murderer? Chainsaw massacre?

I don't think Tom's ever been to Texas :eyepop:

We flew other stuff last weekend, too! The wind was pushing 20 mph and Gus still boosted his Mongoose 98 on an M1730 Skid.
tyvAe.gif

But the field's big enough that he had it back within 10 minutes. (It's O capable... Dennis Watkins is planning to fulfill that capability at TS2012.)

But the field's big enough that he had it back within 10 minutes.

Partly because I was the one tracking it. :tongue:
But Kevin SZULwas the one who found it first.
Sweet GIF by the way!
Manny

When I first saw (no pun intended) that picture of "Texas Chainsaw" Tom.....I laughed my a$$ off......Characters? Oh we got em....good ones though. Isn't it kind of coincidental that he owns a Christmas tree farm?

Thanks for registering for the event Nick......you won't be disappointed!

The Wildman Kentucky Drag race will be a PRO54 3G case,closure and J360SK reload for $120 retail is $197.75
Thanks,
Darryl

Alex......good question....the current plan is too have the club trailer in place. It has 10/10, 15/15, and Unistrut capability. Courtesy of Mannyskid, we will have another trailer also with 10/10, 15/15, and Unistrut capability......All can handle 200# rockets with ease.
Got a BIG ROCKET? Good.... Let us know....we'll bring in the Purdue University "Tower of Power" 18' car trailer with 18' of 15/15 or Unistrut for the BIG BOYS.
Last but not least my personal stand can handle 150#'s on 10/10 or 15/15.
Now is a GOOD time too let us know what your special needs are and we will make it happen!

I may have the trailer at thunderchicken, I still have to ask Tim though as half of it is still his. It was made specifically for the mega darkstar. So it can easily handle a 180# rocket.

Manny

tower.jpg

Oh......I don't think we'll have to twist the Wildman's arm too much on this one.......

He has two choices.. .
1. Yes.
2. Give the top vendor spot to Red Arrow and, banish him to the end of the flight line next to "Porta-Pot-Ville." Woooo.......

"El Presidante Gustavo" has spoken.

Last edited:
Oh......I don't think we'll have to twist the Wildman's arm too much on this one.......

He has two choices.. .
1. Yes.
2. Give the top vendor spot to Red Arrow and, banish him to the end of the flight line next to "Portal-Pot-Ville." Woooo.......

"El Presidente Gustavo" has spoken.

:point::point::point::point::point::point::point:

Best one I've heard in a long time!

What day? We won't be making it down until midday Saturday.
And I'm probably in. Low and slow.

I'm planning on Sat. afternoon,maybe around 2.
That gives everyone time to prep.
Darryl

Now is a GOOD time too let us know what your special needs are and we will make it happen!

No real special needs, but I do have a very large sparky flight planned. N3400 to be exact. Based on pictures I've seen, sparkys are welcome, but we'll need to clear a big spot around the pad for that motor! :eyepop:

No real special needs, but I do have a very large sparky flight planned. N3400 to be exact. Based on pictures I've seen, sparkys are welcome, but we'll need to clear a big spot around the pad for that motor! :eyepop:

Hey, yah, you can't do any worse than Gus who had half the flight line re-locating at Thunderstruck '10 -- fire trucks everywhere!

Animated_fire_by_nevit.gif

Well....that was a fun phone call this morning.....

Ring..Ring....

"Piepenburg trucking....you buy it....we fly it on 18 wheels....how can i help you?"
Rur...
"Tim, how you doing ole buddy!!?"
Rurrrarrra...
"Oh, you saw my post huh?"
Ruh....
"It was a joke Tim.....Tim."
Ruh....rar...ruhruh...ra @#$% ra....
"So, if i put you and Crazy Jim down by the porta-pots....WHAT is going too happen?"
Rarrrrrrrrrrr......rrrrrr BOOMF!
"What?"
BOOMF......BOOMF....@#$%&**#@......BOOMFFFF!
"I'll take care of the issue....right now!"
RA.......

Welllllll.........it seems my new Mongoose 98's might be a little delayed in the mail for awhile......

On a serious note though.....We have recieved offers and equipment from our good friends at QCRS to help us make this the biggest and best event we've had so far and it is greatly appreciated.......this is what its all about folks...people helping people to make everyone enjoy the event!:D

1. Does a bear shuffle in the woods?

Hey, yah, you can't do any worse than Gus who had half the flight line re-locating at Thunderstruck '10 -- fire trucks everywhere!

1. Regular club launch...Mongoose 98 on an AMW M-2200 Skidmark...damage-Fire Call, small patch of ground, igniter wires, pride.:sigh:

2. Regular club launch...Scooter and Zook two stagger on an AMW M-2200 Skidmark too AMW L-666 :headbang: Skidmark...damage-Fire Call, bigger patch of ground, igniter wires, pride again....damage seen on Google Earth imagery.

3. Thunderstruck 1 (aka FARMAGEDDON)...Hawk Mtn. Superbeast on a CTI N-10,000...damage-Fire Call, Three acres of corn field, pad box, battery, igniter wires, two tires on the "borrowed" trailer launcher, new wiring harness for said trailer, two cans black paint, local soreness derived from then club President Doug "Niedemeyer" Jackson with club "paddle".

Best part of the whole deal........Watching Doug latter on that evening in a T.V. interview with BIG clouds of smoke, and fire trucks in the background running throughout all the chaos.....hearing him say "It really is a family sport....don't mind of all that...one of our club members....GUS set the field on fire."

Bring it Nick....we've learned alot over the years...

Last edited:
Well, I was off by one year, but as you can see, it's kinda like deja vu and so it's easy to get mixed up! :eyeroll:

No....your right as rain on this one...i had too go back and re-edit due to short term memory loss...nice fire graphic though!:D

1. Does a bear shuffle in the woods?

1. Regular club launch...Mongoose 98 on an AMW M-2200 Skidmark...damage-Fire Call, small patch of ground, igniter wires, pride.:sigh:

2. Regular club launch...Scooter and Zook two stagger on an AMW M-2200 Skidmark too AMW L-666 :headbang: Skidmark...damage-Fire Call, bigger patch of ground, igniter wires, pride again....damage seen on Google Earth imagery.

3. Thunderstruck 1 (aka FARMAGEDDON)...Hawk Mtn. Superbeast on a CTI N-10,000...damage-Fire Call, Three acres of corn field, pad box, battery, igniter wires, two tires on the "borrowed" trailer launcher, new wiring harness for said trailer, two cans black paint, local soreness derived from then club President Doug "Niedemeyer" Jackson with club "paddle".

Best part of the whole deal........Watching Doug latter on that evening in a T.V. interview with BIG clouds of smoke, and fire trucks in the background running throughout all the chaos.....hearing him say "It really is a family sport....don't mind of all that...one of our club members....GUS set the field on fire."

Bring it Nick....we've learned alot over the years...

FARMAGEDDON!!!!

Thats the best name ever!! That should be the name of the launch. How about a "Gus' Farmageddon Drag Race"

What day? We won't be making it down until midday Saturday.
And I'm probably in. Low and slow.

I'm planning on Sat. afternoon,maybe around 2.
That gives everyone time to prep.
Darryl

Might be cutting it close for us in transit. Don't want to miss out on the deal...

INDIANA'S FIRST "O" -- As in OMG!

To say that this year's ThunderStruck Launch will be bigger and better than ever is cliché, but, on Friday, March 30, at approximately 11:00 a.m., Dennis Watkins will launch the first O impulse motor ever fired in the State of Indiana. (We are still doing research to confirm this, but believe it to be true. If you have any information, please let us know). The rocket will be 8" in diameter, 139" tall, and weigh about 105 pounds. Expected altitude is 16-17,000 feet at a top speed of about 870 mph. Motor is a Wimpy Red O-4800, 24,000 N-secs., burn time of 5-6 seconds (HOW CAN AN O BE WIMPY?) Tippecanoe County Commissioner David Byers will press the button and local newspaper and TV coverage is expected. There is a rumor that ANOTHER O is lurking around out there and may also make an appearance at ThunderStruck this year.

photo.jpg

Fantastic!

I'll bring both unistrut and 1515 rail buttons just in case.

I believe the two N's I'll be using combine to just slide in above an O (~22000NS). Maybe I can convince Tim (or an EX'er) to give me a good deal on an O and we can drag race!

Just need to start work on the giant applewhite saucer and I will set a personal record for the most amount of AP burned at one launch.

Last edited:
This is shaping up to be an epic launch! I'm glad my schedule changed so I can make all three days (and Sat. night).

I believe the two N's I'll be using combine to just slide in above an O (~22000NS). Maybe I can convince Tim (or an EX'er) to give me a good deal on an O and we can drag race!

Alex (and everyone else) -- be sure and send me details of your project so I can put 'em up on the Featured Projects page for the launch. Big and small, we'll launch them all!

(I wasn't planning to fly anything but Jacob Dennis just stopped by my office and said "Hey we need to build a rocket for that O case in your closet..." so now I need to ask Doug nicely if we can use his table saw for a few hours...)

Back