ThunderStruck 2012 Registration Open (Indiana)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool lots of pads.
Now we need a commerative vinyl decal from Mark at Stickershock for our rockets.
Hint Hint
Make mine holo

We had our equipment cleaning and pre-Thunderstruck meeting today. A few quick notes:

• The preliminary pre-registration deadline is coming up soon -- get your registration done by March 18th to make sure that you're in!
  • The t-shirt design (done by El Presidente Gus Piepenburrito) has been finalized; check it out in the webstore. It's a fantastic five-color design -- if you were on the fence before, definitely give it a look. To get the shirt order done in time, we will be closing stock on this one starting March 15th (Thursday!). At that point, we will update the webstore with the quantities that we have ordered -- you can still reserve a shirt, but limited quantities in each size will be available at that point. Shirts will also be available on-site.
  • For those of you wondering about the status of "general flying" all three days, hang tight -- we're expecting to be able to make an announcement this week, before pre-registration closes.
  • Since our landowners planted corn this year, we have requested that they till the section of the field we will be using. They responded that they would just go ahead and till the entire field under for us, making it much easier to chase down your rockets (on foot). As long as the weather stays the way it's been for the past few weeks (warm, sunny, and dry), they should have it done in time for us.
  • As a reminder, for those of you bringing way cool and/or weird projects (cert flights, big rockets, or especially big clusters), PLEASE get in touch with our webmaster to get your project on the Featured Projects page. This also lets us all know what the specialized GSE and/or project review needs are going to be like on-site. We look forward to putting your projects into the air on our awesome field.

19 days till the launch. See you at Ash Grove!

Hotel booked, online registration done & friend strong armed into going with! Now I just have to finish a couple of kits!!! Can't wait!!

Hotel booked. Preregistered for all three days hopping all three will be " general fly". Any word on that?

My hotel is booked. I'm staying at "El casa loco", also known as Gustavo Inn. So, I just finished a new rocket today. Darin Raymond and I are flying my rocket, "Carbon Nightmare II" on one of his home brew motors. I'm hoping for mach 3 without busting the waiver. If I win, Mr. Lehr owes me $100...

Manny

finished.jpg

I'm in. Between work and weather, L1 keeps getting pushed off. Hopefully I'll git'er done on the 31st. If conditions are favorable, I'll use Thor, if not, Little John is up to the task.

DSCN2572.JPG

My hotel is booked. I'm staying at "El casa loco", also known as Gustavo Inn. So, I just finished a new rocket today. Darin Raymond and I are flying my rocket, "Carbon Nightmare II" on one of his home brew motors. I'm hoping for mach 3 without busting the waiver. If I win, Mr. Lehr owes me $100...

Manny

Hmmmmm.......young Jedi Manny.....hmmmmm......going too get big lesson from "dark side" force.........hmmmmmm.......you WILL be afraid..........

Here's my entrant into the "Farmageddon Mach Madness" my young Jedi.

Sam-I-Am.....

Made from some old "slightly used" Performance wrapped carbon 4" tube, steered by a Rouse-Tech aluminum fin can, will house an "Overpowered by CTI N-10,000......"
All electronics (of course) "Marsa54" (x2) will be in the nosecone Av-bay.....recovery by Skyangle.
Standing 7'-8" tall it weighs nothing......
Expecting mach 2.5 in one second......based on a Mon-Gus 98 I flew that was this combo only heavier.

Be very afraid young Jedi..........

Well, since Gustavo is computer illiterate, "The Squeak" will just have to post it for him. Pictured here is Gus's rocket Sam-I-Am, better known as Dante. Although, it will soon be known as the world's prettiest rocket ever shredded.:dark: Anyone to be in the area of Battle Ground, In. over the weekend of March 30-April 1, many rockets will die in those days........

Manny

Sam-I-Am.jpg

I know the event is a short ways out but, i wanted to thank alot of the people who are working very hard behind the scenes here to make this our best yet......
One thing the military taught me was.....You put yourself at the bottom...you put your people at the top and let them rise higher than yourself.

Insurance......

I can assure you this.....and, i have received ALOT of phone calls on it.....we WILL have our own insurance by event start.....a motor will be a motor from now on....

Vendors........

Wildman...
Wildman Kentucky....
Red Arrow Hobbies....
Loki.....YES! Scott's coming!

Thank-you gentleman for your support....

Food.......

ALOT better than last year.....yes, we listened.

T-Shirts.....

More than half of the 80 preordered are already sold....don't miss out..

Equipment......

If we didn't build it, we bought the best......the rest is on loan from our GOOD friends at QCRS....thank-you.

Press Coverage......

Photos/postings all weekend by the skilled camera of David Reese...
Event DVD filmed, produced and distributed by Justin Farrand....
Coverage by Rockets Magazine....Thank-you Neil and Bob!
Local Media on TV.....

Events within the Event......

Wildman Ky "Low and Slow" drag race....
Farmageddon Mach Madness Event.......Composite material will rain!

You need to certify?.....

We will have THREE Tripoli TAPS and a NAR L3CC....

What you don't see is the hard work STILL being done by people who you may not know......guys and gals with day/night jobs who don't ask that they be reconized......

Barry and Ginny Mcabe.....
Richard Cash.....
Brian Perry.....
Victor Barlow....
Doug Jackson....
David Reese.....
David Kittel.....
Carl Krueger.....

I feel bad that i can't list them all but, realize they want YOU to enjoy the event better than they do.......

Folks....if you've never been to our field...please check us out...you won't be sorry....

What was a dream to start a club five years ago turned into something that will only become better with time and its all because of you...and, you....and, you......

Thank-you!

Last edited:
So what is the procedure for open registration for Friday without paying a late registration fee? Thunderstruck website has not yet been updated to do that.

Thanks to everyone involved for getting this done for us. Really looking forward to my first Thunderstruck!

Farmageddon Mach Madness Event.......Composite material will rain!

That's the best part :eyepop:

Judging by the caliber of the participants, the amount of trash talk seen so far, and the level of preparation displayed by some of the flyers, I think we will see a Mach Madness Event filled with Ooooohs and Aaaaaahs, accompanied with long walks...

I expect speeds in excess of Mach 2.42 will be needed to win this one ;)

Don't ask me where I got that number from. It's classified.

I'm actually kind of waiting too see what "Don Claude" brings too the table in the Mach Madness Event.....:duck:
Especially after the "Butt Whuppin" he inflicted on me in the MWP N-5800 drag race last year.....:sigh:
"It's always the quiet ones you watch out for....":D
Oui mon ami?

So far anticipated in the Farmageddon Mach Madness Event are......
1.Tim "The Chi-Town Hustler" Lehr
2."Crazy" Jim Hendrickson
3.Jason "Hot Tub" Griffin
4.Tim "Big Bucks" Dixon
5.Victor "Big Stick" Barlow
6.Manny "Man-well" Ballestero
7."Don" Claude "The Connection"
8.Steve "Lumberjack" Pauling/"The Firestarter" Me

Don't count out.......

Justin "The Eyes" Farrand
Chuck "Speedy" Haskin
Roger "The Thunder" Jezler
"That Damn Kid" David Reese
and.....
Ray "Weapon-X" Hansen

Looks like Chicago Rocket Mafia will be WELL represented......:bangbang:

I'm actually kind of waiting too see what "Don Claude" brings too the table in the Mach Madness Event.....:duck:
Especially after the "Butt Whuppin" he inflicted on me in the MWP N-5800 drag race last year.....:sigh:
"It's always the quiet ones you watch out for....":D
Oui mon ami?

So far anticipated in the Farmageddon Mach Madness Event are......
1.Tim "The Chi-Town Hustler" Lehr
2."Crazy" Jim Hendrickson
3.Jason "Hot Tub" Griffin
4.Tim "Big Bucks" Dixon
5.Victor "Big Stick" Barlow
6.Manny "Man-well" Ballestero
7."Don" Claude "The Connection"
8.Steve "Lumberjack" Pauling/"The Firestarter" Me

Don't count out.......

Justin "The Eyes" Farrand
Chuck "Speedy" Haskin
Roger "The Thunder" Jezler
"That Damn Kid" David Reese
and.....
Ray "Weapon-X" Hansen

Looks like Chicago Rocket Mafia will be WELL represented......:bangbang:

Gus, there will be another entry to that list...someone staying quiet for a reason...someone happy to be overlooked.

Claude says M2.42....I say "that's all?" Gotta be at least 2.6, me thinks:kill:

-Eric-

Hey everyone!

Two big news items:

(1) OK, this one isn't big, but the farmer has plowed the field, so pad access will be easy. We'll be out there raking around the pads to clear area for sparkies.

(2) Indiana Rocketry, Inc. is now covered under our own insurance, so we are able to offer three days of general flying. So, bring your rockets and motors -- it's gonna be a great, full weekend of flying.

As a courtesy to those on the fence, we have extended pre-registration another week, so you can still register for all three days at reduced rates. Registration fees include a daily membership in Indiana Rocketry, Inc. for each day of flying. Pre-registration will close for reals on Sunday, March 25th.

We're just over a week out -- see you on the field!

I need to stop looking at this thread, and seeing all the cool stuff I'll be missing out on! Have fun guys!

Hey everyone!

Two big news items:

(1) OK, this one isn't big, but the farmer has plowed the field, so pad access will be easy. We'll be out there raking around the pads to clear area for sparkies.

(2) Indiana Rocketry, Inc. is now covered under our own insurance, so we are able to offer three days of general flying. So, bring your rockets and motors -- it's gonna be a great, full weekend of flying.

As a courtesy to those on the fence, we have extended pre-registration another week, so you can still register for all three days at reduced rates. Registration fees include a daily membership in Indiana Rocketry, Inc. for each day of flying. Pre-registration will close for reals on Sunday, March 25th.

We're just over a week out -- see you on the field!
That is great news David.
Thanks for all the hard work you guys have put into this.

I have IMPORTANT news I need to share. Tripoli Indiana (TRA Prefecture #132, NAR Section 711), now Indiana Rocketry, Inc. is pleased to announce two very important items.

1) We have become incorporated in the State of Indiana as a not-for-profit organization. This opens the door to PRIVATE INSURANCE, rather than the insurance provided by TRA or NAR. As of close of business today (3/21/12), we have SECURED that private insurance. IT ALLOWS US TO CO-MINGLE RESEARCH LAUNCHES AND COMMERCIAL LAUNCHES. A motor is a motor and a rocket is rocket. To be clear, ThunderStruck 2012 is now a 3-day RESEARCH launch AND a 3-day COMMERCIAL launch with both NAR and TRA certifications (Level 1, Level 2 & Level 3) available all 3 days AND NAR members (both adult and children) can fly while research motors are being used.

2) We have extended the discounted, on-line registration to Sunday, March 25. That gives you enough time to check the weather forecast and make your travel plans. Remember, you now have a 3-day window, Friday March 30 through Sunday, April 1 to fly any kind of a motor at the BEST launch field in the entire midwest. Standing waiver of 16,000 AGL with windows to 22,000. Friday will see the first O-impulse motor ever launched in the state of Indiana. Make your reservations now at https://www.indianarocketry.org . Thank you and hope to see you at Ash Grove later this month.

I have IMPORTANT news I need to share. Tripoli Indiana (TRA Prefecture #132, NAR Section 711), now Indiana Rocketry, Inc. is pleased to announce two very important items.

1) We have become incorporated in the State of Indiana as a not-for-profit organization. This opens the door to PRIVATE INSURANCE, rather than the insurance provided by TRA or NAR. As of close of business today (3/21/12), we have SECURED that private insurance. IT ALLOWS US TO CO-MINGLE RESEARCH LAUNCHES AND COMMERCIAL LAUNCHES. A motor is a motor and a rocket is rocket. To be clear, ThunderStruck 2012 is now a 3-day RESEARCH launch AND a 3-day COMMERCIAL launch with both NAR and TRA certifications (Level 1, Level 2 & Level 3) available all 3 days AND NAR members (both adult and children) can fly while research motors are being used.

2) We have extended the discounted, on-line registration to Sunday, March 25. That gives you enough time to check the weather forecast and make your travel plans. Remember, you now have a 3-day window, Friday March 30 through Sunday, April 1 to fly any kind of a motor at the BEST launch field in the entire midwest. Standing waiver of 16,000 AGL with windows to 22,000. Friday will see the first O-impulse motor ever launched in the state of Indiana. Make your reservations now at https://www.indianarocketry.org . Thank you and hope to see you at Ash Grove later this month.

I think the move to non-profit is a great idea and one I hope to do with Michiana Rocketry someday.

However, one question I have is that a TRA flier is only insured (as I understand it) at launches where the TRA safety code is being followed. Will the TRA safety codes be followed at this launch? If not, then how is your insurance going to cover any incidents? If my rocket darts into a car and my TRA insurance says, "Nah, you're outta luck because they did ____ wrong and ____ violates our code" will Indiana Rocketry's insurance cover me as an individual? I'm sure the club is covered but what about the folk who show up that aren't Indiana Rocketry members?

I think the move to non-profit is a great idea and one I hope to do with Michiana Rocketry someday.

However, one question I have is that a TRA flier is only insured (as I understand it) at launches where the TRA safety code is being followed. Will the TRA safety codes be followed at this launch? If not, then how is your insurance going to cover any incidents? If my rocket darts into a car and my TRA insurance says, "Nah, you're outta luck because they did ____ wrong and ____ violates our code" will Indiana Rocketry's insurance cover me as an individual? I'm sure the club is covered but what about the folk who show up that aren't Indiana Rocketry members?

daveyfire said:
Registration fees include a daily membership in Indiana Rocketry, Inc. for each day of flying.

If I'm reading this correctly, You'll be a Indiana Rocketry member.

If I'm reading this correctly, You'll be a Indiana Rocketry member.
Yep, you'll be an Indiana Rocketry member. Our insurance provides coverage very similar to that provided by QCRS and MDRA. If you are a NAR member and flying according to the NAR safety code (our safe distances meet the NAR requirements, so if you're flying commercial you're good to go), you will also be covered by their insurance as a primary (see the NAR FAQ). Tripoli's insurance won't cover you, since it only applies to "Tripoli Sanctioned Events" (see the TRA FAQ). Our desire to allow all flyers launch rockets on all days conflicts with the policies set forth by Tripoli, and thus this event is not sanctioned by them.

Fantastic news! Congratulations and thank you for all the hard work the group has done to achieve this. Well done, boys; see you on the range!

-Eric-

Gus, there will be another entry to that list...someone staying quiet for a reason...someone happy to be overlooked.

Claude says M2.42....I say "that's all?" Gotta be at least 2.6, me thinks:kill:

-Eric-

I can not believe i forgot Eric too! :eek:

Ahem......also participating in the previously said "Farmageddon Mach Madness Event" will be........

9.Eric "FlyingFlamingPyroPumpkinOfDeath" Cayemberg
10.Dave "Hairy Palms" Kittell......(Don't worry, i don't think he knows about this site/forum):D

Last edited:
So, online registration has really been blowing up, and we've added a few more shirts of all sizes to the store to accommodate sizes that were out of stock.

We've also been getting tremendous support from our vendors -- thanks to Wildman's, Loki, ROCKETS Magazine, Red Arrow, Tru-Core, Hartle Engineering, and 3D Rocketry for stepping up so far to vend and support our raffle.

The pre-registered flyers list is also updated (including both Cayembergs :cyclops:) as of a few minutes ago -- check it out and make sure we got you down. Pre-registration will close on Sunday (the 25th) but we'll leave the shirt preorders up until the day before the launch -- if there are any left!

To whom it may matter to: I have made arrangements to be there for all three days. I am a trucker from NC, so I will have some rockets in my truck. What I wont have is a place to shower, as I'm figuring I can sleep onsite in my truck(I will not have a trailer). If someone wants to share a room, I wont have to sleep in my truck. If not, maybe I can borrow a shower. Not bringing anything big, but will have my Explorer Aquarius(see avatar). If I can tear CJ away from Tim long enough, we have been toying with the idea on flying it on a cluster on one K1275 and two J825's for a monster Redline cluster.

To whom it may matter to: I have made arrangements to be there for all three days. I am a trucker from NC, so I will have some rockets in my truck. What I wont have is a place to shower, as I'm figuring I can sleep onsite in my truck(I will not have a trailer). If someone wants to share a room, I wont have to sleep in my truck. If not, maybe I can borrow a shower. Not bringing anything big, but will have my Explorer Aquarius(see avatar). If I can tear CJ away from Tim long enough, we have been toying with the idea on flying it on a cluster on one K1275 and two J825's for a monster Redline cluster.

We are at the Econo Lodge. It's about 10 min from the field. You are welcome to our facilities. Sorry there is no Hot Tub in the room. We use the room for sleep and rocket prep. If you want, send me a PM and I will let you know who to look for.

Jason

Back