What are you listening to?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have I posted this before?
Don't think I have, but if I did, here it is again.

I find myself putting this on a loop, over and over again....

s6

I've always found this clip fascinating.
A. I don't consider myself a fan of Toto, and never cared for this song in particular.
B. These guys are just playing in a pizza joint, to a mostly disengaged crowd.
C. They have virtually no major stage gear.....just sitting in restaurant chairs, with their instruments, a couple of mics, and a very basic PA.
D. I believe that Mike Masse himself was doing this "music thing" as a part-time side hustle at the time, his day job being as a police officer.
E. HUGE sound for just an acoustic guitar, a bass, and two vocals.....no extra "production" whatsoever.
F. No rockstar attitudes, or arrogant posturing.
F. They simply kill it. Astonishing vocals, perfect delivery, every bit exactly on point.

I love this.

The original was exactly the kind of stuff I actively dislike.....way overproduced, polished to the point of being bland and sanitized, and basically pointless. All kinds of crappy synth sounds and superfluous added bits . The worst of what "80's music" had to offer, for me at least. It takes 5 or 6 musicians, and a ton of added production and engineering, to make it...most of which is completely unnecessary. I really dislike it.

THIS is raw, and honest.....not necessarily sloppy, untalented, or not caring enough to actually play well....far from it in fact. Just two guys, with minimal equipment and production, stripped down to what's essential. And I really like it a lot.

Ok, the lyrics are still pretty silly and stupid, but nothing to be done about that.

s6

A. I don't consider myself a fan of Toto, and never cared for this song in particular.
C. They have virtually no major stage gear.....just sitting in restaurant chairs, with their instruments, a couple of mics, and a very basic PA.
D. I believe that Mike Masse himself was doing this "music thing" as a part-time side hustle at the time, his day job being as a police officer.
E. HUGE sound for just an acoustic guitar, a bass, and two vocals.....no extra "production" whatsoever.
F. They simply kill it. Astonishing vocals, perfect delivery, every bit exactly on point.

I love this.

The original was exactly the kind of stuff I actively dislike.....way overproduced, polished to the point of being bland and sanitized, and basically pointless. All kinds of crappy synth sounds and superfluous added bits . The worst of what "80's music" had to offer, for me at least. It takes 5 or 6 musicians, and a ton of added production and engineering, to make it...most of which is completely unnecessary. I really dislike it.

THIS is raw, and honest.....not necessarily sloppy, untalented, or not caring enough to actually play well....far from it in fact. Just two guys, with minimal equipment and production, stripped down to what's essential. And I really like it a lot.

Ok, the lyrics are still pretty silly and stupid, but nothing to be done about that.

s6

Thank you for sharing that. Beautiful!

I love this.

s6

Incredible vocals! Thanks for posting that vid...

Back