Thoughts and Comments on Current Russian,Ukrainian Conflict/War

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry, friend.
I'm not that fragile.
EDIT: For the record, the "credit" for why the US was a net energy producer one year goes to the covid pandemic, not any change in administration energy policy. Look at the graph. Modest increase in production. HUGE drop in demand/usage. Communities in lockdown. cars not on the road. Cruise ships not sailing. Airlines not flying.
And net energy production is not the same as energy independence., which was the topic of the statement I was addressing. If we were energy independent we would not be importing hundreds of thousands of barrels a day of foreign oil.
But, please carry on.

Sorry, bud. Respectfully, you're wrong (again) on both counts. The US achieved net energy exporter status for the first time since 1952 in 2019, (see Source 1) and it was announced even earlier, Dec 2018 (see Source 2). The COVID-19 pandemic did not catch fire in the US until March of 2020.

Source 1: US Energy Information Administration

1646173560688.png

Source 2: Fortune, citing Bloomberg

U.S. Becomes a Net Oil Exporter for First Time in 75 Years

By Bloomberg
December 6, 2018 2:35 PM EST

America turned into a net oil exporter last week, breaking 75 years of continued dependence on foreign oil and marking a pivotal — even if likely brief — moment toward what U.S. President Donald Trump has branded as “energy independence.”

The shift to net exports is the dramatic result of an unprecedented boom in American oil production, with thousands of wells pumping from the Permian region of Texas and New Mexico to the Bakken in North Dakota to the Marcellus in Pennsylvania.

And as far as energy independence goes, to my knowledge I never used that term. I consistently used the term NET ENERGY EXPORTER. If you can find an example where I did, please cite it.

Energy independence is a very broad and complex topic, but I'll try to simplify it for you.

The two terms are not synonymous, as you note. If a nation pumps the same amount of or more crude oil domestically than it consumes, then energy independence is possible. But it's impractical and expensive in a nation as large as ours because of logistics. The excess crude oil that Exxon pumps in Alaska, for example, is sold to Asia, not transported or piped thousands of miles to Louisiana refineries. Texan, Oklahoman, and Mexican crude is much closer, and its purchase takes up the slack. In peaceful times, there is no need to be energy independent. In wartime, it's often essential, as Nazi Germany and the Japanese Empire discovered in WWII.

But the US can and should increase its purchases of oil from stable North American sources, in my opinion, rather than OPEC, Russia, Venezuela, et al. Presidential assurances to oil explorers and movers that their huge investments in drilling and pipelines will not be instantly flushed away by the kind of foolish, partisan energy decisions and executive orders regarding drilling leases and pipeline construction that America has suffered under the current, ever-less-popular administration would go a long way toward increasing domestic production even more. And end our subsidizing Vladimir Putin's dangerous brinkmanship and Saudi Arabia's outrageous conduct.

From ABC TV I learned that all the bridges in Kiev have been brought down. Also the TV tower. Additionally, the invaders issued warnings they were going to bomb the city and everybody should leave their homes. Meanwhile, I think the huge convoy is still in a pause for repairs, replenishment and a rethink of the plan.

From ABC TV I learned that all the bridges in Kiev have been brought down. Also the TV tower. Additionally, the invaders issued warnings they were going to bomb the city and everybody should leave their homes. Meanwhile, I think the huge convoy is still in a pause for repairs, replenishment and a rethink of the plan.
If all the bridges are down, it'll be awfully hard to roll Russian tanks into town. Also awfully hard for civilians to leave the city. If the Russians do start widespread bombing, it's going to be a humanitarian nightmare. Which may cause neighbors on the fence to join the battle.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that convoy tonight, either.

If all the bridges are down, it'll be awfully hard to roll Russian tanks into town. Also awfully hard for civilians to leave the city. If the Russians do start widespread bombing, it's going to be a humanitarian nightmare. Which may cause neighbors on the fence to join the battle. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that convoy tonight, either.
The Russians are well known to be adept at bridging operations via either pontoon style (large rivers) or extendable tank/engineering vehicle laid bridges (cant remember what they are called).

If all the bridges are down, it'll be awfully hard to roll Russian tanks into town. Also awfully hard for civilians to leave the city. If the Russians do start widespread bombing, it's going to be a humanitarian nightmare. Which may cause neighbors on the fence to join the battle.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that convoy tonight, either.
In all actuality its a smart move on the Russian behalf, if no bridges, no supplies go in and out of Kyiv, a true Besieging. Tactic. Plus if Russia does want to attack they can build their own platoon bridges... minimizes the risk of crossing a sabotaged bridge

I don't think a no fly zone is workable or a good idea. Russia would violate it on the first day. So a NATO, that includes the USA, aircraft shoots the Russian down. Result WW3. The Russians also have capable anti air missiles. The S400 and S500 would make enforcing a no fly zone dangerous. A Russian missile brings down a NATO aircraft. Result maybe WW3. If we were to get pulled into a war with Russia the Chinese could/would go after Taiwan.

In all actuality its a smart move on the Russian behalf, if no bridges, no supplies go in and out of Kyiv, a true Besieging. Tactic. Plus if Russia does want to attack they can build their own platoon bridges... minimizes the risk of crossing a sabotaged bridge
I think it was the Ukrainians, not the Russians who took down the bridges.
They did the same during the advance, slowing down the convoys.

I had a video call with a native Ukrainian living in Poland today. Per him, the flag represents a field of sunflowers and a blue sky. Its what he had as his background

I think it was the Ukrainians, not the Russians who took down the bridges.
They did the same during the advance, slowing down the convoys.
I sorta agree with that...but uh wouldnt they have a reserve bridge for reinforcements or supplies? Also what happens if Belarus joins in on the battle? Sounds literally the stuff of nightmares almost a WW1 repeat

I don't think a no fly zone is workable or a good idea. Russia would violate it on the first day. So a NATO, that includes the USA, aircraft shoots the Russian down. Result WW3. The Russians also have capable anti air missiles. The S400 and S500 would make enforcing a no fly zone dangerous. A Russian missile brings down a NATO aircraft. Result maybe WW3. If we were to get pulled into a war with Russia the Chinese could/would go after Taiwan.
I don't think this gets said enough when discussing no-fly zones. People have a vision that it's all roses and unicorns with our planes flying around keeping the peace. In reality, it means (a) shooting down their planes, and (b) destroying their anti-aircraft systems, probably some of which would be in Russia.

I remember being in Switzerland in the 80's and while crossing a bridge someone pointed out the circular "plugs" in the tarmac across both ends. I was told that every bridge over the Rhine between Switzerland and Germany is still mined and can be dropped into the river at a moments notice. They also fired anti-aircraft artillery at Allied WWII bombers as they flew from northern Italy to bomb Bavaria, knowing that the shells were exploding too low to hit anything.

While those are merely a few plastic model airplane kits the real live human people who made them are very much in my heart.
😿
51911803292_73621422c0_b.jpg

I remember being in Switzerland in the 80's and while crossing a bridge someone pointed out the circular "plugs" in the tarmac across both ends. I was told that every bridge over the Rhine between Switzerland and Germany is still mined and can be dropped into the river at a moments notice. They also fired anti-aircraft artillery at Allied WWII bombers as they flew from northern Italy to bomb Bavaria, knowing that the shells were exploding too low to hit anything.
I think they've pulled the explosives out to a shed at the ends of the bridge now. It's also not just the bridges over the Rhine. As I understood it, every bridge and tunnel in the country is mined. I lived in Switzerland in the early 90's--right across the valley from us was an airbase inside the mountain. The planes would land in the valley and go into a large blast door. They'd come out through another blast door in a cliff face 1000' above the valley floor like an aircraft carrier catapult.

I don't see a coup coming. Every member of the military would have to agree, Otherwise there would be Russians fighting Russians. Maybe not a bad thing. I would make a sizable bet that he has his own army within the army. A presidential guard or something. More likely than not they are better trained and equipped than the regular army. He must have a save the bacon exit strategy. Some place he can hide.

I don't see a coup coming. Every member of the military would have to agree, Otherwise there would be Russians fighting Russians. Maybe not a bad thing. I would make a sizable bet that he has his own army within the army. A presidential guard or something. More likely than not they are better trained and equipped than the regular army. He must have a save the bacon exit strategy. Some place he can hide.
No, only a few of the highest ranks need to be in on the coup. Those below that level and enlisted troops do what they’re told in Russia. In the United States there’s training on determining whether orders are legal or not. I doubt that means much to the average Russian soldier.

Back