Serious Nation Security Threat?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today’s big Russia news is that opposition leader Alexei Navalny is dead. He died imprisoned in a Russian penal colony.
He died of PokeesBearesRussianites, quite common in Russia. It sometimes can kill you quickly or drag on for years before being fatal. Some people all of a sudden find out that eating foods that normally don't harm you turn poisonous.
Others get very dizzy or can pass out at altitudes above 7-8 stories high. That can be fatal when trying to open a window for fresh air. Many fall out of the windows after to much exertion opening the window, pass out and fall to their deaths.
Some die from severe lead poisoning.
Less common causes of death from this include spontaneous human combustion and rapid body disassembly.
Disclaimer: Not meant to be funny, just stating what happens to dissidents in Russia.

Last edited:
He died of PokeesBearesRussianites, quite common in Russia. It sometimes can kill you quickly or drag on for years before being fatal. Some people all of a sudden find out that eating foods that normally don't harm you turn poisonous.
Others get very dizzy or can pass out at altitudes above 7-8 stories high. That can be fatal when trying to open a window for fresh air. Many fall out of the windows after to much exertion opening the window, pass out and fall to their deaths.
Less common causes of death from this include spontaneous human combustion and rapid body disassembly.
2 thumbs 👎👎 down. Totally unfunny. Disrespectful. Please, don't try again, and don't quit your day job.

2 thumbs 👎👎 down. Totally unfunny. Disrespectful. Please, don't try again, and don't quit your day job.
I was not trying to be funny by no means, just stating what happens to people in Russia when they go against Putin. I know hard to tell that in my post that it wasn't meant to be funny. I have the utmost respect for Navalny. I watched the series on CNN about him. Doing what he did after being poisoned and having the chance to be "free" deserves the utmost respect.

Disclaimer: Not meant to be funny, just stating what happens to dissidents in Russia.
Don't forget airplane crashes.

I accept that Russian decision making isn’t exactly the best at the moment, but also they do know and understand the consequences of the Kessler Syndrome so I’m not exactly convinced that their going to put up anti satellite orbital weapons, especially when they (like the States) can shoot down key satellites with aircraft based missiles (as both nations have practiced)
Less convinced the Chinese or Indians wouldn’t given their recent history of testing this technology despite knowing about the consequences

I was not trying to be funny by no means, just stating what happens to people in Russia when they go against Putin. I know hard to tell that in my post that it wasn't meant to be funny. I have the utmost respect for Navalny. I watched the series on CNN about him. Doing what he did after being poisoned and having the chance to be "free" deserves the utmost respect.
CNN? Surely you're joking.

He apparently wasn't poisoned, either.

https://johnhelmer.net/berlin-clini...ction-mild-heart-attack-no-novichok-symptoms/

Rather than mechanical force (explosion, impact), it seems like a more practical approach with fewer downsides would be focused EMF of some kind. Microwave, laser, etc., to heat up the target or otherwise render it non-operable, while leaving it physically intact in more or less its original orbit. If such a thing is possible. Space junk is a lot easier to navigate around than space shrapnel.

Turner's claims of serious national threat have come to nothing, as Admiral Kirby has largely dismissed them, and Turner's own Republican-led House of Representatives has departed on a two-week recess. More important near-term worries might be domination of the Daytona 500 by Toyotas, and the fate of the Azov Brigade.

Space junk is a lot easier to navigate around than space shrapnel.
I've worried about things like this too. I wonder how many pieces actually remain in orbit. I figure any piece directed downwards or backwards pretty quickly burns up in the atmosphere. Anything directed forward or upward seems like it would achieve a higher orbit. Can sharpnel have enough velocity to escape? I suppose the answer is that a small percentage of the shrapnel pieces remaining in orbit is way too many.

Reminds me of this gem where neither of them were willing to take a sip of their drinks.
So somebody bring out a pitcher, pour both glasses into it, mix them up, then pour half back into each glass and see if either one would drink it.

Space junk is a lot easier to navigate around than space shrapnel.
Space junk may end civilization on Earth. Fancy that.

WILL MEGACONSTELLATIONS DAMAGE EARTH'S MAGNETIC FIELD? Something unprecedented is happening in Earth orbit. In only a few short years, the satellite population has skyrocketed, more than doubling since 2020. In the past year alone, more satellites have been launched than during the first thirty years of the Space Age. Much of this activity is driven by SpaceX and its growing megaconstellation of Starlink internet satellites.

Environmentalists have raised many concerns about Starlink including light-pollution of the night sky, a potentially hazardous traffic jam in low-Earth orbit, and even ozone depletion. Copycat mega-constellations by other companies and countries will only multiply these concerns.

Now there's a new reason to worry. According to a new study by Sierra Solter, megaconstellations could alter and weaken Earth's magnetic field.

Solter is a graduate student at the University of Iceland, working on her PhD in plasma physics. She recently realized something overlooked by many senior colleagues: "More than 500,000 satellites are expected in decades ahead, primarily to build internet megaconstellations. Every satellite that goes up will eventually come down, disintegrating in Earth's atmosphere. This will create a massive layer of conducting, electrically charged particles around our planet."

To understand the scale of the problem, consider the following: If you gathered up every charged particle in Earth's Van Allen Belts, their combined mass would be only 0.00018 kg. Other components of the magnetosphere such as the ring current and plasmasphere are even less massive. For comparison, "the mass of a second generation Starlink satellite is 1250 kilograms, all of which will become conductive debris when the satellite is eventually de-orbited," says Solter.

Metal debris from a single deorbited Starlink satellite is 7 million times more massive than the Van Allen Belts. An entire megaconstellation is billions of times more massive. These ratios point to a big problem.

"The space industry is adding enormous amounts of material to the magnetosphere in comparison to natural levels of particulate matter," says Solter. "Due to the conductive nature of the satellite debris, this may perturb or change things."

There is already evidence of this process in action. A 2023 study by researchers using a high-altitude NASA aircraft found that 10% of aerosols in the stratosphere contain aluminum and other metals from disintegrating satellites and rocket stages. These particles are drifting down from "the ablation zone" 70 to 80 km above Earth's surface where meteors and satellites burn up.

Solter decided to look for changes in the electrical properties of the ablation zone--and she found something. A NASA model of the upper atmosphere shows a sharp increase in the "Debye Length" just where satellites break apart when they deorbit:

"Debye Length" is a number that tells researchers how far an unbalanced electrical charge can be felt in conducting plasmas. The fact that it changes abruptly in the same place satellites disintegrate may be significant.

Extrapolating into the future, Solter worries that satellite debris could weaken Earth's magnetic field--the same magnetic field that protects us from cosmic rays and solar storms.

"It's a textbook undergraduate physics problem," she explains. "Suppose you put a conductive shell (satellite debris) around a spherical magnet (Earth). Outside the shell, the magnetic field goes to zero due to shielding effects. This is a highly simplified comparison, of course, but we might actually be doing this to our planet."

Solter's preliminary study appears to show that the space industry is indeed perturbing the environment. "It is very concerning," she concludes. "We absolutely cannot dump endless amounts of conductive dust into the magnetosphere and not expect some kind of impact. Multidisciplinary studies of this pollution are urgently needed."

For more information, you can read Solter's original research here.

I've worried about things like this too. I wonder how many pieces actually remain in orbit. I figure any piece directed downwards or backwards pretty quickly burns up in the atmosphere. Anything directed forward or upward seems like it would achieve a higher orbit. Can sharpnel have enough velocity to escape? I suppose the answer is that a small percentage of the shrapnel pieces remaining in orbit is way too many.

So somebody bring out a pitcher, pour both glasses into it, mix them up, then pour half back into each glass and see if either one would drink it.
Back when I raced gokarts, they used a 'pump around' method at one track. Basically you showed up at the staging lane with an empty tank and a container of fuel. They dumped everyone's fuel into the tank and then filled each kart from the tank. We were all running methanol, but the goal was to prevent additives. I always wondered what would have happened if someone dumped in straight nitro after figuring how many karts were in the heat or race. Assuming everybody was legit and you dumped pure nitro, you'd guess the percentage pretty close based on the number of competitors and jet appropriately. You'd be good and they'd be in left field. I was just a kid at the time, so probably there were safeguards in place to prevent something crazy like that, but it was fun to think about.

Back on topic, I think the mixing of drinks in such weird circumstances should be required, not optional. . .

Just like George Carlin said in his routine," this has always been and always will be a big penis swinging contest" where one guy says "i'm going to show you mine's bigger than yours", then the other guy says " mine is definitely bigger and I'm going to show you with a bigger bomb."

I bet $2 that it's the Russian "hypersonic" missile that apparently hit Kiev yesterday.
Earlier I wrote the above. I lose the bet. I'll donate the $2 to the local rocket club.

Space junk may end civilization on Earth. Fancy that.

WILL MEGACONSTELLATIONS DAMAGE EARTH'S MAGNETIC FIELD?
We are way over due for a magnetic field reversal. Areas of reversed polarity like the South Atlantic Anomaly are indications of this. They will get larger and over the next couple millennia will result in a reversed magnetic field. The overall magnetic field is down 30% in the last 300 years and is accelerating. What's in orbit won't affect this process.

The “news” is designed to scare you more and more. It’s about clicks and views for the media and money and power for the political class. What matters is does the reality of how your life is lived scare you more and more. Perspective.
My current way of life doesn't scare me. It's how we might live our lives in the future that scares me.

Back on topic, I think the mixing of drinks in such weird circumstances should be required, not optional. . .
There was a tv show a few years ago where the bad person poured 2 drinks out of a bottle, but they had put the poison in the glass already. Another thing I was thinking of- put both glasses on a turntable and spin it quite a few times then see if either person is hesitant to take a glass.

Back