Serious Nation Security Threat?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about all the kinetic weapons orbiting in space? I.E. just drop a Rod... These were used to get around the Nuke issue.
The issue with kinetic weapons is conservation of energy. For whatever energy level you want those "Rods from God" to have, you have to put that energy into them to begin with. Every kilogram of material in that rod carries the energy of ~7 kg of TNT, but also you need the energy of ~7 kg of TNT for every kilogram of kinetic weapon you send up. Something Falcon 9 sized could get enough material up to equal ~100 tons of TNT, for significantly more expense than just precision strikes with conventional weapons (~$62 million on average for Falcon 9). For the same price you could use almost 4,000 mk84 bombs with a combined total of 16x the yield or two 400 kiloton B61s with a combined total of 8000x the yield.

Is that what I said?

I pointed out that this brand new "scary thing, we can't discuss, and leave you to draw your own conclusions." was very oddly timed.
Some might take it that the enthusiastic Congressman Turner has suffered a case of premature ejaculation in his ardor to pass the Ukraine aid bill.

Last edited:
Is that what I said?

I pointed out that this brand new "scary thing, we can't discuss, and leave you to draw your own conclusions." was very oddly timed.
That's what I'm saying. As far as this nonsense new "security threat" Russia , China along with us have been looking at "ruling the high ground" for as long as I can remember.

Our Space Force Special Forces AKA Spatial Forces will make quick work of this Russian Space-based Menace!

My guess is that this push to release the info has something to do with domestic politics. That doesn’t mean partisan politics, necessarily. Right now, one of the most contentious domestic political issues is related to the bill for Ukraine aid (and Israel, Gaza, Taiwan aid), and the Republican conference is split on that. I don’t know much about Turner, but if he is pro-Ukraine, this might have something to do with showing Russia to be a threat and generating support to oppose Russia in Ukraine by taking up the aid bill. So that’s 100% speculation on my part, and I could be completely wrong.
Turner is very pro-Ukraine indeed. having returned from there just hours before he made his serious threat claims. So you're speculation is entirely correct. And there is great urgency just at this moment, as Avdiivka is being evacuated as we speak, with several thousand lives at stake.

My 1976 VW Beetle would still run fine after EMP. It has points. And a carb. And I have a radio that still uses Tubes. Funny how ancient technology is EMP resistant.
That was part of the premise of Battlestar Galactica. The Galactica's systems were old and the computers weren't networked, which made it very difficult for the Cylons to hack them.

Turner is very pro-Ukraine indeed. having returned from there just hours before he made his serious threat claims. So you're speculation is entirely correct. And there is great urgency just at this moment, as Avdiivka is being evacuated as we speak, with several thousand lives at stake.

I am very pro-Ukraine too, and I believe Russia is a serious threat to our allies and to us. Unfortunately, not everyone in Congress sees it that way, and some seem to actually be pro-Russian. So if it takes this kind of thing to wake them up to the threat Russia poses, I’m ok with that.

You guys do know that it's another Chinese weather balloon, don't you?

ssixsixsix

The house today announced they will take the next two weeks off. Thy will return one day before the gov't shutdown.

Bastards.

This Congress is constantly in chaos, and there are a lot of important things that need attention while these toddlers are finger painting the walls with their own poop.

This Congress is constantly in chaos, and there are a lot of important things that need attention while these toddlers are finger painting the walls with their own poop.
Are they mere toddlers, or are they tightrope artists, preening before the circus, dancing between the prize on yon wall or death in the fall?

He is on a side gantry of the launch tower trying to do something with what looks like an Agena Sustainer

It was a pilot for another one of Gene's TV shows that never happened.

The Blond Young Lady did plenty of other TV shows and Movies, at the time she was one of the "Laugh In" girls.

Edit: later she did a B&W movie with a mad Doctor with a hump back assistant that used lots of Lighting for power
The Star Trek episode I remember had him fiddling with a Saturn V that had a nuke.

"Competent and Government" should never be used in the same sentence.
Throughout history, states have relied on competent government to stay together. When they have it, they experience stability and success, and when they don’t they decline and collapse. The effectiveness of government is self-evident even to contemporary analysts but it’s obscured to much of the public, which commonly conflates political positioning and rhetorical strategy with administrative skill. This may yet prove to be democracy’s fatal flaw.

It would be better to have good, competent government. But given who these people are, I’m kinda OK with them doing the bare minimum. What if they were actually effective?

In one sense they are being effective. I believe that some in Congress have a goal of convincing Americans that government is incompetent and can do nothing right, and maybe it’s better if they do nothing at all, and when these people hold power, they intentionally sabotage government to “prove” their point. So when you say, “I’m kinda OK with them doing the bare minimum,” maybe that means they are achieving their goal.

Back