Thoughts and Comments on Current Russian,Ukrainian Conflict/War

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read that there are unconfirmed reports that Germany will be sending 2700 Soviet era shoulder launched Strela anti-aircraft missiles to Ukraine. I'm assuming they came into Germany's inventory when East and West Germany reunited.
Might as well put them to good use.

1654649185725.png

Also known as the SA-7 Grail by NATO.
I have one by TLP.
1654650673141.png
Heh.

A perspective they don't mention so much in the news.

"The Purges in Putin’s Shrinking Inner Circle
The frustrated Russian leader has punished officials for misjudging the invasion of Ukraine. But ordinary citizens remain in the dark."

The New Yorker Article Link:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-an...NV0uVlyJCswwAU45EU3WOplPEcGEdX9qjWGC_mpUxJv-o
Part of the story:

"What we know is that, since the war began, Putin’s attacked the agencies already, as far as we know. So the war started at this now infamous meeting of the Russian Security Council, where Putin publicly berated the director of the S.V.R., the foreign-intelligence agency, which is a direct successor to the spy section of the K.G.B. Two and a half weeks later, we got news about the F.S.B. foreign-intelligence branch, because the F.S.B. also has a foreign-intelligence branch coming under attack. We now know about two people, two top-level officials at this department, being questioned and placed under house arrest.

Then, last week, we got news that the deputy head of the National Guard was forced to resign, and he will also probably face some sort of a criminal investigation. And he is not just National Guard. This guy is a former security-services person. He was with Putin’s personal security detail before he joined the National Guard, so he’s known personally to Putin."

"What we know is that, since the war began, Putin’s attacked the agencies already, as far as we know. So the war started at this now infamous meeting of the Russian Security Council, where Putin publicly berated the director of the S.V.R., the foreign-intelligence agency, which is a direct successor to the spy section of the K.G.B. Two and a half weeks later, we got news about the F.S.B. foreign-intelligence branch, because the F.S.B. also has a foreign-intelligence branch coming under attack. We now know about two people, two top-level officials at this department, being questioned and placed under house arrest.

Then, last week, we got news that the deputy head of the National Guard was forced to resign, and he will also probably face some sort of a criminal investigation. And he is not just National Guard. This guy is a former security-services person. He was with Putin’s personal security detail before he joined the National Guard, so he’s known personally to Putin."

Couldn't happen to nicer people....

I'd wish we had some of that accountability in our government.

Well, I think your concept of accountability is exactly backward. It’s not really accountability when the one who is responsible for the entire disaster is firing and jailing everyone who warned him against the idiotic war. If anyone should be fired, jailed, or shot, it’s Putin. That would be accountability.

Well, I think your concept of accountability is exactly backward. It’s not really accountability when the one who is responsible for the entire disaster is firing and jailing everyone who warned him against the idiotic war. If anyone should be fired, jailed, or shot, it’s Putin. That would be accountability.
No I would like any accountability in our government, forwards preferably not backwards.

No I would like any accountability in our government, forwards preferably not backwards.

Russia’s forms of accountability are the authoritarian forms where everyone is accountable to the authoritarian, and the authoritarian is accountable to no one.

In Russia, the electorate cannot hold “elected” officials accountable through elections, like we can here, because their elections are a sham.

In Russia, appointed and elected officials cannot be held accountable by the people’s elected representatives through a process of impeachment, like we can here (at least theoretically).

In Russia, lower officials can be held accountable by being fired by higher officials or the authoritarian himself, but there’s no accountability for the exercise of that power.

And in Russia you can also be held accountable by being jailed, tortured, or killed on the orders of the authoritarian.

That’s not an enviable system of accountability.

Russia’s forms of accountability are the authoritarian forms where everyone is accountable to the authoritarian, and the authoritarian is accountable to no one.

In Russia, the electorate cannot hold “elected” officials accountable through elections, like we can here, because their elections are a sham.

In Russia, appointed and elected officials cannot be held accountable by the people’s elected representatives through a process of impeachment, like we can here (at least theoretically).

In Russia, lower officials can be held accountable by being fired by higher officials or the authoritarian himself, but there’s no accountability for the exercise of that power.

And in Russia you can also be held accountable by being jailed, tortured, or killed on the orders of the authoritarian.

That’s not an enviable system of accountability.
True, but real accountability, while certainly much better in the USA, could use some work. I think that's what he meant. "And that's all I have to say about that..."

Poor Pooty-poot must be heading around the bend... Peter the Great... :rolleyes:

I’m not sure how true this little story about Peter the Great is, but it certainly comes to mind in light of the comparison.

PTG lived ~300 years ago, and for all the progressive reforms he attempted to institute, his favorite courtly pastime was inserting bellows into his friends and advisers anal orifices, inflating their stomachs, and letting out mega-farts for ***** and giggles (pun intended). A few of those unlucky souls met a painful and inglorious end when their intestines could not withstand the pressure.
Draw your own conclusions from that data point.

Just saw this - the Russian general that was recently promoted to be in charge of Ukrainian war, Dvornikov, got sacked the other day. Now replaced with Putin's new fall guy, Zhidko:
https://www.yahoo.com/video/general-dvornikov-no-longer-command-155200379.html
More discussion here, especially on creative ways we (US) keep deterring ourselves with our assistance to Ukraine, while Russia is holding nothing back:

Last edited:
Maybe they should start rounding up horses and revive the cavalry.
Revell Germany in a previous decade put out some pretty decent Soviet Cossack cavalry figures in 1/72 scale soft plastic.
I did up a couple boxes of them for miniatures gaming.

From the "found while looking for something else" category, a few things from 2015.
Since I am autistic this really caught my attention & I did a bit of Googling.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...n-aspergers-syndrome-study-pentagon/22855927/"
WASHINGTON — A study from a Pentagon think tank theorizes that Russian President Vladimir Putin has Asperger's syndrome, "an autistic disorder which affects all of his decisions," according to the 2008 report obtained by USA TODAY.

Putin's "neurological development was significantly interrupted in infancy," wrote Brenda Connors, an expert in movement pattern analysis at the U.S. Naval War College in Newport, R.I. Studies of his movement, Connors wrote, reveal "that the Russian President carries a neurological abnormality."

The 2008 study was one of many by Connors and her colleagues, who are contractors for the Office of Net Assessment (ONA), an internal Pentagon think tank that helps devise long-term military strategy. The 2008 report and a 2011 study were provided to USA TODAY as part of a Freedom of Information Act request.
"

Here from a bipolar website is commentary on that,
https://ibpf.org/does-putin-have-aspergers/"
Conflating a person with a condition, especially without even relying on current diagnostic methods, which are arguably subjective and fraudulent, is as dangerous as conflating a racial or religious group with one individual from a group. That is clearly the motive here, to attempt to diagnose Putin, from a distance, with a condition which seeks to clinically diagnose aberrant behavior. By suggesting Putin’s behavior departs from norms so grossly may cause his public image to be further tarnished in the western world.

Why not tarnish Putin on other grounds, I ask, which don’t have implications on the lives of others?
"

From the "found while looking for something else" category, a few things from 2015.
Since I am autistic this really caught my attention & I did a bit of Googling.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...n-aspergers-syndrome-study-pentagon/22855927/"
WASHINGTON — A study from a Pentagon think tank theorizes that Russian President Vladimir Putin has Asperger's syndrome, "an autistic disorder which affects all of his decisions," according to the 2008 report obtained by USA TODAY.

Putin's "neurological development was significantly interrupted in infancy," wrote Brenda Connors, an expert in movement pattern analysis at the U.S. Naval War College in Newport, R.I. Studies of his movement, Connors wrote, reveal "that the Russian President carries a neurological abnormality."

The 2008 study was one of many by Connors and her colleagues, who are contractors for the Office of Net Assessment (ONA), an internal Pentagon think tank that helps devise long-term military strategy. The 2008 report and a 2011 study were provided to USA TODAY as part of a Freedom of Information Act request.
"

Here from a bipolar website is commentary on that,
https://ibpf.org/does-putin-have-aspergers/"
Conflating a person with a condition, especially without even relying on current diagnostic methods, which are arguably subjective and fraudulent, is as dangerous as conflating a racial or religious group with one individual from a group. That is clearly the motive here, to attempt to diagnose Putin, from a distance, with a condition which seeks to clinically diagnose aberrant behavior. By suggesting Putin’s behavior departs from norms so grossly may cause his public image to be further tarnished in the western world.

Why not tarnish Putin on other grounds, I ask, which don’t have implications on the lives of others?
"
Agreed strongly.

I’m also autistic, diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome under the old DSM-4. Vladimir Putin clearly has some personality issues but attempting to diagnose him with any kind of psychiatric or developmental condition while not actually seeing him as one’s patient is both irresponsible and highly unethical. Doubly so when the proposed diagnosis is highly stigmatized.

In the ISW report yesterday, there was some information from the Ukrainian intelligence service (GUR) that Russia is transporting mines made in the 1950s to Kherson. According to the GUR, this was ancient equipment that was slated to be destroyed, but instead it’s been deployed to Ukraine due to shortages. They said that during transportation, some of this stuff exploded and killed some Russians.

I never know how much credence to give to information directly from Russian or Ukrainian government sources when it’s negative claims about the other side, but this is consistent with the verified info about the T-62 tanks being pulled out of storage and deployed.

"15-year-old Ukrainian boy dubbed a hero after using drone to help defeat Russian forces: report"​

https://www.fox9.com/news/15-year-o...KAGBvM2PYETSRoSmtB_7_PRyR8_k4Gc70Uv358LsPhW8E
------------------------------------
A 15-year-old Ukrainian boy is being hailed as a hero after he reportedly helped pinpoint Russian forces using his drone which allowed Ukrainian troops to defeat the oncoming enemy convoy, according to Global News.

Andrii Pokrasa claimed he was the civilian tasked with using his drone to stop Russian forces from invading Kyiv, Ukraine’s capital.

"He was the only one who was experienced with drones in that region," Yurii Kasjanov, commander of Ukraine’s armed forces unmanned reconnaissance section, told Global News. "He’s a real hero, a hero of Ukraine."

Ukraine-war.jpg

[FILE - Ukrainian serviceman goes past destroyed Russian military tank near Berezivka village, close to Kyiv, Ukraine, Monday, April 11, 2022. ]

"15-year-old Ukrainian boy dubbed a hero after using drone to help defeat Russian forces: report"​

https://www.fox9.com/news/15-year-o...KAGBvM2PYETSRoSmtB_7_PRyR8_k4Gc70Uv358LsPhW8E
------------------------------------
A 15-year-old Ukrainian boy is being hailed as a hero after he reportedly helped pinpoint Russian forces using his drone which allowed Ukrainian troops to defeat the oncoming enemy convoy, according to Global News.

Andrii Pokrasa claimed he was the civilian tasked with using his drone to stop Russian forces from invading Kyiv, Ukraine’s capital.

"He was the only one who was experienced with drones in that region," Yurii Kasjanov, commander of Ukraine’s armed forces unmanned reconnaissance section, told Global News. "He’s a real hero, a hero of Ukraine."

Ukraine-war.jpg

[FILE - Ukrainian serviceman goes past destroyed Russian military tank near Berezivka village, close to Kyiv, Ukraine, Monday, April 11, 2022. ]
I saw another article that said they didn't report this earlier to protect him from Russian reprisals. They released it now because the young man has crossed the border into Poland.

Been quiet here lately. Media narrative has taken a decided turn. Its possible that the war will soon be over. Is it ok to discuss what the form of the war ending agreements will be or is that off topic or too early?

Been quiet here lately. Media narrative has taken a decided turn. Its possible that the war will soon be over. Is it ok to discuss what the form of the war ending agreements will be or is that off topic or too early?
Since that’s kind of a new topic the easiest thing would be to start a new thread. That way if your new topic ends up being moderated, this thread isn’t affected.

Back