Letter Received from my Senator

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetra2

Reaction score
Hi,
I just received a letter from my senator, Bill Nelson. He talks about the HSA and rocketry. I scanned it to my computer, but it is too large to attach it here. If you would like to see it, send me an e-mail at: [email protected]

Has anyone else received a letter like this one?

Jason

Can you give us a summary? Does he appear to be for or against?

Here, I'll type the last paragraph of his letter. Kind of hard to tell:

Quote:
I understand your concern that these new regulations may burden small businesses and hobby rocketry enthusiasts. Legislation may soon be introduced providing an alternative solution to this problem. I will keep your concerns in mind should this legislation come before the Senate. I appreciate you sharing your views with me as they enable me to serve you better in the Senate.

It's open to interpretation. I think he's Neutral, maybe leaning for.
Do you all think that I should send him a CD with my interview on it or would it be a waste of time?

Thanks,
Jason

Originally posted by jetra2

It's open to interpretation. I think he's Neutral, maybe leaning for.
Do you all think that I should send him a CD with my interview on it or would it be a waste of time?

Thanks,
Jason

Personally, I think your point has been made with the letter. But, you might also consider that the 2nd phase of the campaign is care package oriented in an effort to educate our senators on the hobby itself. The interview does lend a quick summary, via mass media, of what the problem is in the public eye. I guess it wouldn't hurt, but perhaps the point has already been made.

So where's my copy? :confused: Just kidding. I'll see you at THOR this month. ;)

Hi all,

It good to hear that the rocketry community is getting some response to the HSA issue. Rocketry Online has also posted a story that Sen. Enzi has introduced legislation to try and get an exemption for APCP, when used in rocketry. I have listed the link to Sen. Enzi's page showing a summary of his bill.

https://enzi.senate.gov/model.htm

I thought I would add my $0.02 in... FWIW:)

Hi again,

I guess the information regarding the bill introduced by Sen. Enzi is old news, by looking at some of the older threads out there (I haven't had a chance to read them all).

I hope I'm not boring anyone, as posting is still new to me. :D

~Bill

No, Bill, you are not boring anyone. WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!

Jason

Thanks for the welcome Jason. Like I mentioned before, I'm just getting started at this...

I did, however, receive an interesting bit of news in my email Inbox this evening. I received a response from 'my' senator as well, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, CA-Dem. This is in response to the email letter that I sent to her at the end of February, at the start of the HSA issue (just doing my part... :D).

The senator thanked me for sending my letter and wanted to reply to my concerns.

This is the main body of the letter:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Thank you for writing to me about how the Homeland
Security Department Act of 2002 could be construed to restrict the
hobby of model rocketry. I appreciate receiving your letter and I
welcome the opportunity to respond to your concerns."

"On March 20 ,2003, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and
Firearms (ATF) issued an interim rule to implement the Safe
Explosives Act a bill that was included as part of the Homeland
Security Act of 2002. This rule is subject to a 90 comment period
which ends on June 18, 2003."

"The interim rule takes a number of steps to limit misuse of
explosives in the United States and to protect against possible
threats while, at the same time, providing for the lawful use of
explosives by businesses and individuals. The rule requires anyone who wants to obtain explosives to apply for a federal license from the ATF. It also creates three new categories of people who may not lawfully possess explosives; unauthorized immigrants, service members that were dishonorably discharged from the military, and any person that has renounced his or her U.S. citizenship."

"If you are concerned that the interim rule may negatively
affect model rocketry, I encourage you to send your comments to
ATF within the 90 day comment period. You may send your
comments to:

James P. Ficaretta
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and
Firearms
P.O. Box 50221
Washington, DC 20091-0221

You may also choose to email your comments to the ATF at
[email protected]."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that the ATF is taking comments about our concerns and this may be one of the avenues to pursue in this issue.

I'd appreciate any comments that the rest of the forum might have about this latest developement.

Bill,

I'm sending you an email with my perspective. I don't want to post it here cuz I don't want it to get into a heated discussion about the ATF, etc.

Jon

Oh, yeah. Welcome aboard!! :)

Thanks Kermie for your input.

Please don't think that I'm trying to be political or anything of that nature. I am just trying to find out what I can do to help in regards to the HSA issue. I enjoy this hobby and I feel it would be a shame to see it become severely restricted, as it seems it will become, should the legislation pass as written.

I apologize if I seem to appear political, as that is not my intent.

I didn't mean to imply that you were being political. I just decided to reply privately because once we get going on this topic, it doesn't take much to get the ball rolling down that road. I just don' want the moderators yellin' at me. I have such a fragile self image, ya know! ;)

I also received a letter from NC Senator John Edwards. I don't have the letter in front of me so I'm just paraphrasing. He sent the same letter to all NC constituents and basically said that he hears us and will keep our concerns in mind when he votes on any issues presented to the senate by Senator Enzi. To me, it seemed pretty noncommittal. I think he's riding the fence and wants to see which way the wind is blowing before he decides which camp to support.

I received a letter from Sen. Dick Lugar (R-IN) in response to my fax. It sounds like our senators' staffs conferred and sent similar non-committal letters to each of us. Excerpts:

"... As you may know, Senator Enzi is preparing to introduce a bill that would correct this problem by exempting rocketeers from having to obtain a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) permit before purchasing or using a rocket motor. I have requested a copy of Senator Enzi's draft legislation to review and will give it careful consideration.

... Overall, however, I believe the new homeland security law has given the government some much-needed new tools and resources to enhance security measures against the threat of international terrorism. As with any sweeping changes of this magnitude, there is uncertainty and concern. We must balance the need for increased vigilance with the rights of Americans to be free of excessive government intrusion into their private affairs. I expect that over time a number of adjustments, additions, and deletions will be needed."

They heard us, but they have bigger problems with financing the war, tax cuts, and immediate homeland security threats. This is probably going to be unpopular in this forum and I would prefer responses be sent to my personal e-mail rather than cluttering this thread, but we need to keep this issue in perspective. Whether I get to purchase hobby rocket motors without a LEUP is small potatoes in comparison to the much bigger issues facing America.

Joseph
NAR# 81715

Now I feel left out.... I faxed both of my Senators, but didv';t receive any letters back .:(

However...

Schumer is now a co-sponsor :)

my follow up calls to the Clinton office went nowhere :confused:

Oh well!

:D
Well I haven't received any letters back yet either. They have a lot of stuff going on right now. Senator Norm Coleman ( R- MN) is also one of the co- sponsors!:D
I knew I voted for the right guy!:D

Back