The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What scale model rocket(s) would you like to see offered as a Boyce Aerospace "Builders Kit"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted for other cuz I was thinking of a maxi scale Pershing II.
It would complement your maxi scale Pershing I perfectly.
And all you would have to do is scale up the parts for the smaller scale Pershing II kit that you already have.

I voted Arcas, but I'd want the relative tube diameters and secant ogive nose cone to be scale accurate.

A robust ISC for the open booster that just needs assembly, not engineering, would be a great benefit. It takes a lot of digging to bring it up, but there are some good photos of the real thing out there. The "standard" scale data doesn't really do a very good job communicating details on that.

I like the Sidewinder booster, too.

Don't forget the Arcas-Arcas, as it's obviously the easiest one to match airframe/motor diameters.

Last edited:
Voted for other. If we are talking scale, then a builders kit for Artemis SLS at 1/100 or close depending on tube sizes needed. Close second is the 1/25 Mercury Atlas.

The massively underappreciated Scout, followed by Other - Maxi Pershing II, followed by the prettiest rocket ever, the SA-5, followed by boosted Arcas, followed by V2. I'll probably scratch print/built a large V2 sooner or later, but I'd be reluctant to tackle the detail work of the others (aside from the Arcas) by myself.
I voted for other cuz I was thinking of a maxi scale Pershing II.
I salute your taste, sir. I've always been fond of the Pershing II.

Starship.

There is a nice version by MaxQ Rockets, which I have (not built yet) with great detail on it. But it is fairly lightweight and I'm not sure how many flights I'll get out of it. But I would be curious how a Boyce version would be different. I have a few Boyce pieces and the approach is very different, but I'm sure very satisfying as well.

I voted for the Scout and the Atlas. But I'd like to see a Scout and Pershing II in 4" size using LOC tubing instead of Estes tissue-paper tubing :cool:

I will be flying my 4" Mercury Redstone, 4" Juno I, and 4" MAXI Pershing I this weekend for the first time.

I voted for the Scout and the Atlas. But I'd like to see a Scout and Pershing II in 4" size using LOC tubing instead of Estes tissue-paper tubing :cool:

I will be flying my 4" Mercury Redstone, 4" Juno I, and 4" MAXI Pershing I this weekend for the first time.

4-inch Estes tubing used in the Mega Der Red Max is the same as LOC 4-inch tubing.

Numbers from eRockets.com:

TubingIDODTH
BT-101 (Estes Saturn V)
3.896​
3.938​
0.021​
T-4.0" (HPR - AT, LOC, Estes MDRM, etc.)
3.896​
3.996​
0.05​
So you can see my point. When I squeeze the BT-101 tubing, it feels like a toiler paper roll tube, where LOC is much stronger/firmer.

I think if Alex were to modify the parameters of the nose cone to where it fit the LOC tubing, I'd probably build another Pershing I.

Last edited:
The only places I know of to get BT-101 are eRockets and Estes, so I kinda figured it went without saying that another manufacturer would be using HPR-style 4-inch tubing on any 4-inch rocket.

Yes, you'd think that would be the case. However, the "Maxi" Pershing IA specifically calls out for the BT-101 tube.

Back