3D Printed Falcon Heavy with Fall Away Boosters - Builders Kit Interest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermanjc

Reaction score
I have recently completed the Design, 3D Printing, Assembly and First/Second Launches of a Falcon Heavy with Fall Away Boosters and Payload Fairing that splits and recovers on streamers. The design is based around BT-60 tubes, resulting in a total height of 31.5" tall for a scale of 1/88 the real thing. This is a 3 motor cluster rocket, with the Center Core motor mount for 24mm motors up to Estes E, and the boosters have 24mm motor mounts for up to Estes D. The first flight launched using a D12-3 in the core with B6-0's in the boosters, and the 2nd flight launched using a D12-3 in the core with C6-0's in the boosters (videos of each below). My next launch I plan to bump the core to an E engine as long as I am launching from a large enough field. This kit is design to launch from a 10/10 rail.

I am considering a limited/initial run of builders kits (provide your own body tubes and recovery parachutes streamers). If you are seriously interested, please PM me so I can compile a list to determine my path forward, and I will reach out to you.

Thank you!

Split Fairing Nose Cone
SplitFairings.jpg

Core Parts
CoreParts.jpg

Booster Parts (x2)
BoosterParts.jpg

2nd Stage Parts (Note: This is not a 2 Stage Rocket)
2ndStageParts.jpg

PrePaintAssembly.jpg

FinalAssembly.jpg

2ndStageCloseUp.jpg

3D Printed Screw On Motor Retainers Look Like the 8 Outer Merlin Engines
EnginesCloseup.jpg

ReadyForLaunch.jpg
Liftoff.jpg

This model vs the real thing
3DPrintedFH_vs_FHdemo.jpg
Boosters Separated
BoosterSep.JPG

Fairings split and recovering separate from core
FairingSep.jpg

Maiden Launch (D12-3 Core and 2 x B6-0 in Boosters)
View attachment FalconHeavy_June102023_D12-3_B6-0.mp4

2nd Launch (D12-3 in Core and 2 x C6-0 in Boosters)
View attachment FalconHeavy_July152023_D12-3_C6-0.mp4

Attachments

• Ascent.JPG
    Ascent.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 0
I’ve been working on 3D-printed fall-away boosters for my Ventris for over a year now. I’m interested in this kit for solidarity’s sake.

Woah great stuff! just joined looks like we came up with a lot of similar ideas separately! Love the clear fins! My fairing was also split with but with a clip on top and two side mounting,,,,things.., not completely finished with build yet, but cant wait to compare. I got a hotwheels model S as payload in the fairing with parachute 😆
and the motor mounts I also did the eight merlin engines, but not screw in mounts, just glue to the tubes. Also have an idea for a spring loaded leg array for the boosters triggered during recovery device deployment, cant wait to get it all together! Also, had to lazer cut the balsa fins with the falcon logo, becuase, what else am i going to do with my time .....lol Couple questions if you have time..

How did you 3D model the landing legs, im struggling lol,
How did stability go with your fins? Ive been nervous about the side boosters lowering the stability cal.
Did you calculate your take off speed? what was it? Thanks for your time if you see this and answer! Happy flights!
Did your booster nose cones and recovery system pop off with just C6-0's no ejection charge? Becuase that would solve alot of my plans for booster apogee to be shorter, thanks @hermanjc
FH Cutaway.jpg

Last edited:
Back