The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a semi-retired IT-guy-now-bus-driver from Minnesota that has been getting back into the hobby after a few years of inactivity (my big problem is I'm interested in too many different things). I got my grandkids going (3 girls) with rocketry and over the past couple of years I've kicked up the building and flying beyond simply assisting them. I'm keen on scale kits and things that don't look like a another version of an Estes Alpha all the time. Mostly low to mid-power stuff D-J engines, with the upper end going in my Madcow DX3. I'm currently building the Boyce Aerospace Falcon 9 Heavy builders kit and was curious if anyone has made the side boosters of this model operational with something like the strap-on booster kit from Apogee -- or at least using those mounting principles. Before I get too far with this I want to give it serious consideration.

Anyway --- Cheers.

B

Last edited:
The Boyce Aerospace kit is for those that like sanding a lot. By that I mean, you get up each morning just dreaming about sanding for the entire day. Sanding until your arm falls off and then sanding some more. Eating dinner and saying hello to your family and then going out to sand some more. Then priming the bits and sanding some more -- damn that priming -- ruining my sanding vibes. If this sounds like you then this kit may be just what the Dr. ordered.

So, in addition to the 9-Heavy, I decided to go with the straight up 9 with the crew dragon module. I took a few 3D STL files and made some changes and ended up with the attached fitted for the BT-60 size tube. 0.1, PETG, No Supports! on my Prusa MK4. This first prototype looks pretty good but is coming in at 30 grams right now. Working on ways to reduce this weight. After I sand/fill it for about a month it should be ready....

Attachments

• Crew Dragon Prototype.jpg
    Crew Dragon Prototype.jpg
    582 KB · Views: 0
When you are done with all that sanding, bring it out to TripoliMN.org and come and fly with us. We have all age members and classes.

So, in addition to the 9-Heavy, I decided to go with the straight up 9 with the crew dragon module. I took a few 3D STL files and made some changes and ended up with the attached fitted for the BT-60 size tube. 0.1, PETG, No Supports! on my Prusa MK4. This first prototype looks pretty good but is coming in at 30 grams right now. Working on ways to reduce this weight. After I sand/fill it for about a month it should be ready....

.15mm layers height seems to be the lightest for me. I'd also go w 1 perimeter to lower weight. I hear that if you up the nozzle temp, you can get the PETG to blend in better with previous layers - have not tried that yet tho.

Good luck!

Thanks -- I made a major painting mistake so I'm printing another anyway.... I'm also less concerned about overall weight as the bottom end of this thing with the 3D legs, rocket bellhousings, fin cans, etc. is extensive. The 9-Heavy has 3 oz of weight added to the nosecone! Ouch. But I would rather work on techniques to get things lighter and add weight if necessary, rather than run into performance issues.

Early mockup of the 9-Heavy. The rocket, like many, is simplistic in its colors and design, but therein lies the complexity in the attention to detail. I wish I was a better modeler...

Attachments

• IMG_5891.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
Back