Another new old guy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. Just a quick introduction. I’m new to the forum but not new to model rocketry. I have been building and launching model rockets in some form for the past 50 years. I started building and launching rockets in the early 70’s and continued through high school. As a father, I built and launched rockets with my boys. I was a scout leader for 16 years and I helped or lead the annual rocket launch. Now I have grandkids so I am jumping back in.

I personally like the Estes PS II kits and have purchased enough parts to clone the original kits plus scale up a few that interest me. I might even clone a couple of the NCR kits. For me bigger is better.

I am closing in on retirement but for the past 35 years I have been a city firefighter and a part time cabinetmaker in Connecticut. I have to many hobbies but they include shooting and reloading, antique hand tools and woodworking, pinball machines, and cooking. Unfortunately my OCD/ ADD only lets me focus on one maybe two hobbies at a time.

I guess this wasn’t a quick introduction.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike, you'll find these forums incredibly useful. And you'll be amazed at some of what's out there these days. QJet motors. BP motors up to F impulse. Balsa Machining Service. Eggtimer altimeter kits (a dual-deploy kit that fits in a BT50...$20). BIG rocket kits everywhere. 3D printing applications. Etc. Etc.

Welcome!

Welcome Mike. You sound like a very busy person! :) You better hurry up and retire! Have fun w those grand kids. You know how fast they grow up!

Thanks for a warm welcome.

Hi Mike, you'll find these forums incredibly useful. And you'll be amazed at some of what's out there these days. QJet motors. BP motors up to F impulse. Balsa Machining Service. Eggtimer altimeter kits (a dual-deploy kit that fits in a BT50...$20). BIG rocket kits everywhere. 3D printing applications. Etc. Etc.

Welcome!

I read through this forum extensively about 4-5 years ago. A ton of great information. I even played around with open rocket. Unfortunately the grandkids were just to small and so everything was put away. Now the grandkids are at the perfect age, 6, 8, and 10 years old. The 3 year old is Papa’s helper. I have maybe 6 large totes full of kits, parts, building supplies and launch supplies that I’m digging through To see what I have. I dug out several almost ready to fly kits that the kiddos have already launched this spring. I’m also dusting off a half dozen rockets that I assembled over the winter several years ago but never painted. i need warm weather to paint.

I haven’t done anything with electronics yet. An altimeter might be nice. I have no need for tracking. I try to fly conservatively living in the heavily wooded northeast. Large open spaces are hard to come by. The Qjet motors have peaked my interest, I might give them a try.

Mike

Back