New to the group

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am just getting back into the hobby with my grandson. I have been out of the hobby for 40 years. It appears not much has changed since then. But I now have a launch platform instead of a board with a tin can top nailed to it with a piece of piano wire for the launch rod. I live in the sunny and warm state of North Dakota. This gives me ample time to build rockets and wait.

Welcome to the Forum. There are a lot of stories like yours. I was out of the hobby for a long time too. When we moved here I found I had lots of wide open space to fly in. And picked where I left off. Then discovered high power and it was off to the races.

Welcome! There's a new tool in town, he's called OpenRocket, and he's absolutely free! Build a virtual rocket, insert a virtual motor, see how high she'll go, best delay time, top speed, speed off the rod/rail, etc. If you're building a kit you'll probably be able to find a file for it, there are files for hundreds of kits and even more for scratchbuilts.

Other fun things you'll find out about, if you don't already know: Railbuttons for every rocket size; launch rails are far superior to rods IMHO. Jolly Logic Chute Release lets you do dual-deploy without ematches or BP charges. Q-Jet composite motors are the same size as Estes (18x70mm) but can deliver twice the impulse of BP; there are also 24mm Q-Jets. Altimeter kits starting at about one-tenth of the price of some of the altimeters you remember (Eggtimer Quark fits a BT50, does dual deploy, and beeps out the altitude, for under $25). Mach1 rocketry has fiberglass tubing in the same sizes as Estes body tubes if you want to build a hard-to-destroy rocket. In addition to regular single-use motors and reload kits, Aerotech has "Disposable Motors", single-use except that the delay can be adjusted. (Delays can be adjusted in reload kits, too.) All sorts of propellants to choose from, Black Jack, Fast Black Jack, Warp9, Super Thunder, etc., etc. Lots of high-power kits from multiple vendors. Wireless remote systems for launching between one and 64 rockets. Research rocketry is here: Tripoli L2's are allowed to make and fly their own composite motors at TRA launches. The list goes on and on. You are about to commit...fun!

Back