Old New Guy........

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvduke

Reaction score
Hi!
Name's Kevin.
Loc: Pine 85544. Lota trees. No fly zone. Closest is 4 hours 1-way.
Live in a small camper in the styx.
62 y/o...BTDT, X-Ray's look like Evil Kenivel.
Past Passions:
Nitro-RC drag boats, planes, etc...BMX, MTB Racing, Bronc riding, MX, Hard Enduro, Drag Boats, Drag Cars, Off-Road 24 hour, race this and that, trad bow's, competitive shotgunning, Precision Rifle Shooting (before it was a "thing"), NORBA Championships, USPSA Single Stack, AMA, NDBA, AHBA, La Rana, SCORE, LMFPQRSTUV, ( just kidding on the last one)......high speed, low drag. Love that.

Had a small shop up here on the mountain. Mtn. Bikes and ATV's. It raged. Owner Operator. 650 sq/ft. Then, It flopped. Thanks covid.
No regerts. Just in time for retirement. But I do miss my clients. My clients were everything.

Rocket History: lots- of L0. (and some rouge Maxi-Brutes we built at "Bob's" for an undisclosed client/supplier/well known/magazines. Some worked, some we pushed too hard and, VABOOM! (oh God that big Pershing going up- EVERYone cried).

Last launch?: '77.
Best launch?: All of them.
Worst?: my Estes Scissor Wing Transport burning into the DR Rear window of a Spectorors Pinto. Cops came, then DAD. Oh yeh...DAD. Stuff got quiet when DAD came. Took me all summer to work that off. And that was that for gliders at the park. Ugh! Loved that rocket. Took forever to get it right!!!

Key in, test BEEP, smack it when yer posed to and look up.
If ya aint done it? Ya don't get it.

Rocketry has got to be the most prep-intensive, sleepless night, nerve racking, nail-biting, "what could possibly go wrong?" thing I have ever done. And guess what- still no warranty. It still could go *poof*. It's a ROCKET, that's what they do. They go POOF, no matter what you do.

It's riding the Edge on something YOU made, and everyone is watching. And when ya get it back in one piece?
Priceless.

Was it worth it? Pffft- oh puhleez. Pull up a stump, leme tell ya bout my 67 seconds of terror........... and glee.

So yeh, here we go again. Seems I'm not alone with the "14th childhood" thing. I see you!

First post here- but I've learned a lot from you all already about HPR. So far things look great here. Everyone for All. Perfect. Lots of respectful shooters passing it on.
I'm only L0 now. First attempt for 1 in Feb or Mar depending on weather/parts/drying times.
I want my L1 pin. It's the only feather in my cap I aint got. Don't even got the fins on yet and I'm shakin' already. Hope I don't pass out when the candle lights.

Favorite shooter? Goblin. Yup- I'm one of those. H130 in hand. Cuz everything else is just a rocket. IF---( big if) she dont splat? 2 more are in Skunk Works now and they will get green light. This one will be stock, sans the usual upgrades. No electrics, basic paper and motor for the Cert Attempt. After that, it's breathed on a little till I get my chops. LOC Goblin 4 for the win (PLEASE!?). Seen them blast past Mach 1 un-reinforced. Seen them poof, too! Built lots of them in vaiours sizes. This one won't be yellow. But it'll still have it's propper pedigree decals and big draggy, square, whisting swept fins, 1 black, 1 with #3.

Cuz it's a GOBLIN.

If I get my pin? Then it's onto J's and above. More speed, always motor deploy, JLCR, JL Alt2, thats it, works or it don't. How thrilling is it seeing your stuff tumble for days...then pop that chute at the last second? Altitude is a consequence of speed. More impulse, less waiting. I like speed. KISS and if it splashes? Make another one. Cuz it's a Rocket.

It's what they do.

(P/S- my phone takes CRAPPY pics and the interwebs up here blows...sorry)

NAR #298573
SSS #5036

Attachments

• 20230119_163355.jpg
    20230119_163355.jpg
    772 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230119_163556.jpg
    20230119_163556.jpg
    758 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230119_163913.jpg
    20230119_163913.jpg
    678.6 KB · Views: 0
Welcome and epic intro! :D đź‘Ť

You Got This Dos Equis GIF

Kevin: I'm the world's biggest photo junkie, do you have any photos you can share of all of your racing that you did?

Hobie- tossed most of my "dust collectors" eons ago....still got a few plaques and pics I think. I'll hit the storage shed next time I'm in there and see if I can dig up some oldy moldy's. Gota couple right here in the camper where I live.....

Rim Nordic Series: couple of 2nd place plaques, Black plaque is the 2000 Series overall award, photo is the start of a 1999 Series with me under the white dot (3rd overall that year), and my last moto- a custom 2018 TC125 GNCC woods raper I built. Never got to race that one, shredded my knee training, so I sold it and stepped down from moto after 45 years.

Attachments

• 20230125_093839.jpg
    20230125_093839.jpg
    715 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230125_093824.jpg
    20230125_093824.jpg
    792.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230125_093756.jpg
    20230125_093756.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230125_093957.jpg
    20230125_093957.jpg
    754.7 KB · Views: 0
Ok- coupole more....

Orange bike: custom steel Curtlo killing it at Rim Nordic @ 7000' alt.

And my last race 2012 @ Southrigde on a custom carbon/alu rigid GIANT. End of first lap, two more to go and things went south fast. I took a bloody (literally) beating that race, it was my last and woof- was I glad! Never crashed in a race before, had my Expert license then and was a good bike handler. I hit the deck 6 times in the last two laps and was covered in dirt and blood. Then it was a 3 hour drive home with a stiff neck and sticking to the towels covering my seats. Talk about going out with a bang. Yikes.

I custom built my stuff from sponsors frames, components, etc. Good times. And it's why I'm broke and "living in a van down by the river!". (favorite quote hahaha)

Attachments

• 20230125_095915.jpg
    20230125_095915.jpg
    864.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230125_095833.jpg
    20230125_095833.jpg
    734 KB · Views: 0
Mad props and many kudos. You've lived the old adage "if yer not livin' on the edge, yer takin' up too much space" Welcome back to the smoke. Good chutes, brother.

Copy and thanks brother, very, very nice and uplifting words. Interwebs and power have been off-n-on. Work on "Spooky" got big time delayed here at the lil Rocket Shack (camper in the woods). Back-to-Back big time snow storms. Non-stop digging out and plumbing repairs for me and the neighbors (see snow pic- 1 of 6 back to back'ers up here), glad i got a 4x4. I missed my Feb launch date, March is proly a no-go. Running way behind. I lost my rented garage for body work- got bumped due to weather, so I said screw it, pulled out my ez-up and erected a spray tent today after 4 hours of digging out, slapped in an exhaust fan (been at it since 0600, I'm FRIED), (7) 9'x12' poly drop cloths top to bottom, and it worked OK. Took up my whole yard here at the camper park and I can barely open my gate to go walkies with Rocket Dog ("Dusty) but it's worth it not to have bugs and pine needles in the paint. Got the nose cone and booster into primer after filling flash/mold grooves on the cone and booster spirals last week, Tyvek suit and respirator mandatory- the 4" Goblin was thirsty, drying times are tripled cuz of temps, ugh, I wana sand it! And... I picked the wrong winter to try my hand at HP. Ooops. I'm hoping for an April launch after the body work is done. Got some nice upgrades for it, too. (3) different sized Spherachutes red/white Classic hemis, polished Fruity hardware, LOC blankets and 20' tubular Kevlar tether for "inverted V" deploy, Aeropack retainers and adapters, JLCR/Alt II, etc. It won't be "show" quality because of things beyond my control in the boonies but I'm taking my time to make it as smooth as I can when I turn it in for inspection, and I realize at some point I'm just gona have to send it, but I don't want my first HPR to look completely crappy. But- it will be stout as I over built the fin can (see other pics in my posts) and I'm building it to perform. And ((IF)) I get L1 it'll be on to L2 with it w/ the JLCR for some dramatic free-falls, after a few H-motor flights to dial it in. Thank for your patience. Sorry for the lapse. With the power and interwebs issues it's been hard to get onto this site (and S.S.S.) as our service has been super slow and I clicked on something weird here by accident (an ad maybe?) last time and it poofed my box a few weeks ago (took me 4 tries to get back in just now) so I had to get my desktop fixed. But "Spooky" will happen and it's going to plan, I'm just running behind. I'll check back in after it's ready. Thanks guys, and thanks to my club-mates at S.S.S. (if any of you see this) for their patience as well. I'm really looking forward to my L1 Attempt Countdown at Kofa and meeting everyone in the Club, and, warming my toes by a camp fire (man that sounds sooooooo good right now). Talk to you soon.
- kevin.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1
  • unnamed.jpg