New member from Owego NY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJRNY

well it has fins and took off like a rocket....
Reaction score
Hi, I'm David Russell from Owego, NY and I guess I'm a BAR. Things sure have changed from the 60's! I started getting into rocketry again about a year ago as a way to introduce my grandkids to a fun STEM activity. Now, I'm having way too much fun, and find myself getting sucked into the rabbit hole of MPR => HPR!
Over the past year I've built and flown an Estes Alpha and Big Bertha (nostalgia) and an Apogee Zephyr Jr. and Dynastar Grappler. Right now I am nearing completion of a LOC Hi Tech H45, and have a LOC Sky Fieri waiting to get started. I'm also looking forward to having a LOC-I Hi Tech and an Apogee Zephyr under the Christmas tree. I know my oldest grandson will have an Estes starter kit under his tree!
The biggest challenge right now is finding a place for higher altitude launches. I have a few small farm fields locally I can launch in (surrounded by BIG trees everywhere!) where I can get the kids involved. But, I've not yet found a local club. There are a couple of clubs each about 2 hours away where I am considering maybe a solo trip this summer to get some higher flights out of my system.
I've been reading the forum and have found a lot of good information. However, I still have some unanswered questions so I'll try posting them as I get time.
Thanks!
Dave

A 2 hour drive to a club launch is not bad, when compared to 4 hours of course. Make some memories with your grandkids and have fun. Cheers!:welcome:
Yes sir, I have been to three club launches now, each time I have had a great time, and learned alot. Everyone seems to do things a little differently, and that adds more tools and ideas on how to be successful for me.

I have also got to meet some incredibly intelligent interesting people. It the exact opposite of going to walmart.

Hey, thanks everyone for your welcomes!

NOLA_BAR: I know a 2 hr drive is not bad. At least solo! Getting the whole crew there is another story.......

KenECoyote: I spent a day at LDRS41 in June and thought it was awesome! I plan to show up at LDRS42 if all goes according to plan.

Wrightme43: I hope you are not trying to tell me that on this forum there are people who will think my ideas are sane?
BTW - are you insinuating that the walmart people I see in those on-line pictures are NOT rocket scientists???

Hey, thanks everyone for your welcomes!

NOLA_BAR: I know a 2 hr drive is not bad. At least solo! Getting the whole crew there is another story.......

KenECoyote: I spent a day at LDRS41 in June and thought it was awesome! I plan to show up at LDRS42 if all goes according to plan.

Wrightme43: I hope you are not trying to tell me that on this forum there are people who will think my ideas are sane?
BTW - are you insinuating that the walmart people I see in those on-line pictures are NOT rocket scientists???
I think you nailed it. LOL

Hahahahaha
I distinctly remember thinking,
man, I'd love to go to that launch in Pine Island NY with the club METRA.
But it's 2 hrs away.
That's nuts.
My two monthly stops now are
METRA in Pine Island NY- 2 hours..
and URRG in Potter NY- 6 hours..
Both killer clubs with killer people there.
Dave,
You questioned,
Do you mean I'll find folks here that think like me ?????

This is your last chance Dave.
You could still get off now, you're not in too deep yet..

My friend,
You better hold on,
You're in for one heck of a ride in the next decade and beyond, lol..

Ohhh yeah,,
Welcome to the forum..

Teddy

Ohhhhh wait a min..
Dave,
A little friendly advice,
in the next few years, if you hear people talking about Airfest or MWP,
stick your fingers in your ears and start screaming as loud as you can..

Hahahahaha
I distinctly remember thinking,
man, I'd love to go to that launch in Pine Island NY with the club METRA.
But it's 2 hrs away.
That's nuts.
My two monthly stops now are
METRA in Pine Island NY- 2 hours..
and URRG in Potter NY- 6 hours..
Both killer clubs with killer people there.
Dave,
You questioned,
Do you mean I'll find folks here that think like me ?????

This is your last chance Dave.
You could still get off now, you're not in too deep yet..

My friend,
You better hold on,
You're in for one heck of a ride in the next decade and beyond, lol..

Ohhh yeah,,
Welcome to the forum..

Teddy

Ohhhhh wait a min..
Dave,
A little friendly advice,
in the next few years, if you hear people talking about Airfest or MWP,
stick your fingers in your ears and start screaming as loud as you can..
Thanks Teddy. I get it, but it won't be the first time I stood still when I should have been running.....

Owego, NY ! I know it well. I work with a number of companies in your area. Have spent months living
out of the hotels there for projects and equipment installations.

Does Cortland offer some better sites for rocket launches?

Welcome.
There are a couple of clubs each about 2 hours away where I am considering maybe a solo trip this summer to get some higher flights out of my system.
I assume those are MARS and URRG. MARS is my club, well worth the drive. I keep meaning to get out to URRG one of these months, and with LDRS there next year there is no doubt I will. I keep meaning to get down to METRA one day too, but it's rather a longer haul.

Owego, NY ! I know it well. I work with a number of companies in your area. Have spent months living
out of the hotels there for projects and equipment installations.

Does Cortland offer some better sites for rocket launches?
Thanks QFactor. Before I retired I spent months living in hotels working with companies away from Owego! I am not aware of any clubs/launch sites in the Cortland area, but to tell the truth I haven't looked very hard. I should do that. Thanks!
Dave

Welcome.

I assume those are MARS and URRG. MARS is my club, well worth the drive. I keep meaning to get out to URRG one of these months, and with LDRS there next year there is no doubt I will. I keep meaning to get down to METRA one day too, but it's rather a longer haul.
Actually, the ones I was referring to are URRG and Syracuse. MARS is not too much further though.

Back