Go Space X - Falcon 9 Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SpaceX launch manifest for Falcon 9
lists 'Vandenberg' as a possible launch site
for Argentinian payload in 2012 and 2013
with Kwajalein as secondary...

I agree with Ol JR,
Give the man $2.5 Bills for
a fresh take at Saturn V, Obviously
NASA spends more on paperwork only...

Bob, Thank you for correcting me...regardless, I promised to take my dad to a shuttle launch.

I want to hear the roar of APCP by the tons going off.:cool2:

-Braden

Well, from the usual distance of 10+ miles, you'd be disappointed. It takes about a minute to get there, and when it does, it is more like a low, heavy rumble.

If you're lucky enough to get tickets to be on the base, you'll be lots closer, but I doubt it'll be a roar.

The light is very impressive though. Even in the bright daylight, you'll feel it in your eyes if you look directly at it for long.

SpaceX Linky

Take a look at the launch manifest for 2012.

Well blow me down... :)

Course maybe they're flying off a different pad than the Atlas is off the old SLC-6 shuttle pad...

I doubt the Air Force would let them touch the Atlas pad... EELV is "their" launch system... :)

Jim on nasaspaceflight.com/forums said that SpaceX would be 'locked out' of certain DOD payloads due to their horizontal integration strategy and certain size/weight constraints... Course EELV horizontally integrates as well IIRC...

Course it could be 'De-Nile' on the part of certain ULA folks who have thought that expendable rocket national security payloads were EXCLUSIVELY "their turf" and may just end up losing business to SpaceX in the not-too-distant future!

later! OL JR :)

Well blow me down... :)

Course maybe they're flying off a different pad than the Atlas is off the old SLC-6 shuttle pad...

I doubt the Air Force would let them touch the Atlas pad... EELV is "their" launch system... :)

Jim on nasaspaceflight.com/forums said that SpaceX would be 'locked out' of certain DOD payloads due to their horizontal integration strategy and certain size/weight constraints... Course EELV horizontally integrates as well IIRC...

Course it could be 'De-Nile' on the part of certain ULA folks who have thought that expendable rocket national security payloads were EXCLUSIVELY "their turf" and may just end up losing business to SpaceX in the not-too-distant future!

later! OL JR :)

To set the record straight, SLC-6 at Vandenberg is used by the Delta IV, SLC-3 is the Atlas V pad. SLC-4 which were the old Titan complexes are still there, no lights and rusting away. I am sure the Air Force wouldn't mind SpaceX taking over the constodial duties and costs of the pad.

SpaceX could push their way into the ULA manifest, but not for awhile though, I'd think they will be content on getting the Dragon flying to the ISS before embarking on the DOD manifest. They were staggered when they found out how much effort it is to get Range approval, just wait till they try the DOD jugernaut.

Last edited:
Space Launch Complex ‐ 4 East, Vandenberg Air Force Base (VAFB), California

SpaceX plans to establish a launch facility at Vandenberg Air Force Base (VAFB) in central California to meet customer needs for polar and sun‐synchronous capability. SpaceX’s headquarters, manufacturing and production facility is located in the Los Angeles area, within driving distance or a short flight to VAFB. SpaceX has previously worked with the Range at VAFB on Falcon 1 facilities, including conducting a static fire at SLC‐3 West in 2005. The candidate launch site, pending discussions with the U.S. Air Force, would be at Space Launch Complex 4 East (SLC‐4E). The design of the Falcon 9 launch site at VAFB will mirror the facilities and operations implemented at the Cape Canaveral launch site.

Last edited:
To set the record straight, SLC-6 at Vandenberg is used by the Delta IV, SLC-3 is the Atlas V pad. SLC-4 which were the old Titan complexes are still there, no lights and rusting away. I am sure the Air Force wouldn't mind SpaceX taking over the constodial duties and costs of the pad.

SpaceX could push their way into the ULA manifest, but not for awhile though, I'd think they will be content on getting the Dragon flying to the ISS before embarking on the DOD manifest. They were staggered when they found out how much effort it is to get Range approval, just wait till they try the DOD jugernaut.

Thanks for the clarification... got my numbers and rockets mixed up.... brain fart! :)

I think you're right... quite likely they'll pick the 'low hanging fruit' of ISS support under COTS and leverage that for future endeavors, like manned Dragon for commercial crew, rather than trying to 'muscle in' on ULA's territory in the DOD business...

Later! OL JR :)

Back