Max Q Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary, I’m baffled by that. Mine fits just fine. But if for some reason mine was like yours, I would glue a flat piece of plastic to cover that hole in the fin can, then Dremel out a smaller hole.

Just curious, do your fins have “Vulcan Centaur” printed on one of the fins or do you have an older non-printed one?
IMG_20240212_015939.jpg
Yes, it is the correct fin set.
And even if I glue a plastic sheet with a smaller hole over the fin set opening, there is no flange on the retainer for the fin set to engage.
Thoughts?
Do you have a different screw on retainer for the Vulcan?

Yes, it is the correct fin set.
And even if I glue a plastic sheet with a smaller hole over the fin set opening, there is no flange on the retainer for the fin set to engage.
Thoughts?
Do you have a different screw on retainer for the Vulcan?
Oh wow, yeah, it should have a flange on it. I would definitely reach out to Randall on that one. Looks like you got a bad piece. As you know, he’ll make it right for you. I included a pic of mine.

Attachments

• 5A667F16-23A9-488D-8344-688B5F29EF2B.jpeg
    5A667F16-23A9-488D-8344-688B5F29EF2B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I have a quick question for Kevin .
On your last video with the Vulcan launch you kept the boosters attached , glued or taped? to keep them in place .
Cheers Ian in the UK

I glued them on. I used plastic cement on the ring attached at the bottom and a single drop of Thick CA glue at the top of each booster where it contacts the body tube. I did have to make a small cut through the decal at each spot the boosters made contact so the glue would adhere to the plastic underneath, otherwise the decal would just lift and the boosters wouldn't be secure.

I was replying to JPalmer621’s FH launch picture.
Here are some pictures Fins on the left fit in between the boosters. I was very surprised that in the picture you could not see the fins. They are made out of an old acrylic sign. I work in an office supply store, and we break a lot of sign holders. I cut them to size, warm them over a candle and bend them to shape.

Attachments

• fins.PNG
    fins.PNG
    713.7 KB · Views: 0
  • fins2.PNG
    fins2.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • fins3.PNG
    fins3.PNG
    705.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the clarification. I thought I saw something "fuzzy" in front of the cores, but didn't see anything sticking out the sides. I see what you are referring to, but wasn't sure. Very clever! Thanks again.

Oh wow, yeah, it should have a flange on it. I would definitely reach out to Randall on that one. Looks like you got a bad piece. As you know, he’ll make it right for you. I included a pic of mine.
The motor retainers on the first Vulcan Centaur kits sold did not have a flange, since they were not tasked with holding a fin can to the airframe. The fins were white plastic glued to a clip on ring.
Randall is sending me a new retainer for 18mm motors with the flange printed on, so I can use the new clear fin can.
He also mentioned that the upgraded Vulcan has a 24mm mount. So my question, Kevin, is do you think the older (18mm mount) Vulcan can fly with the boosters attached and the new heavier plastic fin set on?
Maybe an Estes C5 or a QJet D?
I only ask because you appear to be the beta tester for these models.
Cheers.

Good question. I definitely would NOT fly with the boosters on a C motor. I made one flight on a Quest D and didn’t see a whole lot of difference.

Since both C and D motors are 75mm, and if you really want to fly with the booster, you can Dremel out the flanges inside the engine mount to make room for a D.

Good question. I definitely would NOT fly with the boosters on a C motor. I made one flight on a Quest D and didn’t see a whole lot of difference.

Since both C and D motors are 75mm, and if you really want to fly with the booster, you can Dremel down the "fins" inside the engine mount to make room for a D.

Available painted or unpainted, seems no glue required all you do is screw together, interesting!
Looks so good in pics like a display model , I’ll make it then be too concerned to fly 🤣

Back