Max Q Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent

Reaction score
Has anyone purchaseed the Falcon 9 or the ULA Vulcan Centar from Max Q ? If so what are your thoughts on the Kit. The Falcon 9 is less than half of the cost of the RTF Estes kit.

I've actually got the Vulcan coming. I'm not the most experienced considering how long I've been away from the hobby, but I'm curious to try this one out.

Met the owner. Had both kits with him. Vulcan was nice but i believe he needs some more work on it. If your experienced build you could fix some things I feel still need work. Falcon 9 was very good. Articulated landing legs. Second stage engine bell. Really a cool kit. I am planning on purchasing the Falcon

Kit arrived today. Instructions have a little note that just says to use superglue or ca on it, and they don't show anything like a parts list, so the instructions aren't up to, say, Semroc or SBR tier.

As someone who hasn't worked with 3d parts much before, I'm not sure what the best way to smooth these might be to get a good finish, especially since I don't know what kind of plastic this is. If it's ABS, I assume the slurry method would work. Not sure if I'd want to use the "coat the whole thing in CA" method that was mentioned in my SBR Diablo 4" kit instructions.

I'm gonna email MaxQ about what kind of 3d printed plastic this is to figure that out.

The "informational booklet" advertised is a single sheet of paper, which is a little disappointing, but I mean, the rocket isn't even flying yet. I was talking to a buddy over at NASA about it a few weeks ago and he seemed excited to see the real thing launch.

They linked a youtube channel for a build guide in the comments, but uh, nothing there. https://www.youtube.com/@maxqrockets

Here's a picture of everything included in the box. The noses had come off a couple of those boosters, but they snap back on okay.

Nothing seemed damaged, but I have ordered some rockets from @BigMacDaddy and his packaging has been a lot better, and his parts also feel a bit stronger than these do. Feels like these parts could break pretty easily, but nothing did, thankfully! Dunno how sturdy 3d printed rocket parts are, since I have yet to build any of the kits I have with parts like this.

The $50 price seems reasonable for the kit, based on what little I know of 3d modeling.

Still, it's awesome to actually have a Vulcan Centaur at all; it's one of my favorite rocket designs and I don't have the 3d printing capability at home to build something like this.

2023-09-20 14.34.17.jpg

The kits I ordered arrived today, so I dry fitted them.
Both kits are all 3D printed plastic, no cardboard tubes.
No motor tubes, the engine is held in place by circular flanges up front in the airframe and in back built into the motor retainer.
Motor retention is a screw on 3D piece printed with the nozzles of each kits' booster engines.
Display/flight modes:
Vulcan Centaur: a booster ring holds the six boosters and snaps onto the main body for display. A fin ring replaces it for flight mode.
Falcon 9: Articulated legs in the extended position for display. Folded up with a fin ring locked between the motor retainer and cap for flight. Grid fins can be in the locked (flight) or extended position as well.
Recommended motor: it only says to use a C class motor for each kit.
There is a scripture passage printed on the last page of each instruction book.
(Not complaining, just an observation).

Thoughts:
The articulated legs and grid fins on the Falcon 9 look cool, but I would be worried about losing parts under thrust or on landing. I will probably permanently glue those in place.
The recommended shock cord anchor point is a crosspiece in the bottom of one of the tubes. Looks thin and flimsy. I may use another method.
The slots on the Vulcan fin ring are too narrow for the fin tabs to fit into all the way. Will have to sand those wider.
A little concerned about fin flutter. Those fins are plastic but mighty thin. And the fin rings look pretty delicate as well.
The airframes are thin as well. Can they hold up to the pressure and temperature of repeated ejection charges? We shall see.

0921231656a[1].jpg0921231656[1].jpg0921231646[1].jpg0921231654[1].jpg0921231654a[1].jpg0921231647a[1].jpg0921231647[1].jpg0921231653[1].jpg0921231653a[1].jpg0921231647b[1].jpg

Last edited:
Emailed him; he was quick to respond, really cool about it. He's gonna send me a new centaur module and repair the tip. It's apparently ABS.

The kits I ordered arrived today, so I dry fitted them.
Both kits are all 3D printed plastic, no cardboard tubes.
No motor tubes, the engine is held in place by circular flanges up front in the airframe and in back built into the motor retainer.
Motor retention is a screw on 3D piece printed with the nozzles of each kits' booster engines.
Display/flight modes:
Vulcan Centaur: a booster ring holds the six boosters and snaps onto the main body for display. A fin ring replaces it for flight mode.
Falcon 9: Articulated legs in the extended position for display. Folded up with a fin ring locked between the motor retainer and cap for flight. Grid fins can be in the locked (flight) or extended position as well.
Recommended motor: it only says to use a C class motor for each kit.
There is a scripture passage printed on the last page of each instruction book.
(Not complaining, just an observation).

Thoughts:
The articulated legs and grid fins on the Falcon 9 look cool, but I would be worried about losing parts under thrust or on landing. I will probably permanently glue those in place.
The recommended shock cord anchor point is a crosspiece in the bottom of one of the tubes. Looks thin and flimsy. I may use another method.
The slots on the Vulcan fin ring are too narrow for the fin tabs to fit into all the way. Will have to sand those wider.
A little concerned about fin flutter. Those fins are plastic but mighty thin. And the fin rings look pretty delicate as well.
The airframes are thin as well. Can they hold up to the pressure and temperature of repeated ejection charges? We shall see.

View attachment 605600View attachment 605602View attachment 605603View attachment 605604View attachment 605605View attachment 605606View attachment 605607View attachment 605608View attachment 605609View attachment 605610
They look really good. Might have to get one for myself.

Update: he hit me up with the fixed parts! They feel pretty good!

I'm a bit worried that since the tube is slightly translucent, I'll be able to see powder on the inside after a few flights if it holds up. I'll try to get it built soon, but I'm still trying to figure out a good place to launch it here in town.

What was wrong with the original parts?
Shoulder too short on the Centaur model--nose wouldn't stay on at all.

One of the noses for the boosters appears to have printed only part way, so there was a big hole where the tip should've been and it was a couple mm short compared to the rest of the cones.

He made it right immediately, really good service.

Never heard of these before, but just ordered both kits because what the heck. I've been wanting a Falcon 9, but couldn't justfiy the Estes kit, and this was on sale for 44.95, so hurrah, finally getting a Falcon 9.

If I were more into scale models of current rockets both of these would be tempting, though it does look like these are more scale models that can be flown rather than flying scale models - a small distinction I'll admit and not a negative criticism just not my personal preference. Really looking forward to build and flight reports on these.

I’m in the UK and ordered two Falcons shipped out the same day !!
A lot easier than dealing with Estes as they don’t ship to the UK, so I have to ship to my friend in Virginia who then sends them on to me. So poor show Estes, when the small company can do something so easily.

Well done for a new company, bringing us something different I say.

Look forward to what comes next. I’m sure the manufacturer will learn with each kit so they get better and better.

I also watched an excellent video a fellow Rocketeer has put on YouTube. Lots of detail and has pointed out a few small modifications that are well worth doing to make the kit even better.

I also watched an excellent video a fellow Rocketeer has put on YouTube. Lots of detail and has pointed out a few small modifications that are well worth doing to make the kit even better.
CrownUK, that was me........... I just wanted to alert you that later this evening (here in the States) I will be posting a video of the maiden flights of those Max Q rocket kits. I appreciate the kind words and if you thought the build was nice, you're gonna love the flight footage! Oooops, slight spoiler there........ :)

Just watched , excellent flights , you have proven these kits are great !
I’m going for a Klima 18mm D 9-5 when I get my Vulcan Centura to gain a bit more height .
Keep up the excellent content and editing 👍

I also recently bought one of their Vulcan kits. I deviated a good bit from the original kit to have it fly with a two engine 18mm cluster and have the SRB's stay on for flight.

Attachments

• 1128231809_HDR.jpg
    1128231809_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
CrownUK, that was me........... I just wanted to alert you that later this evening (here in the States) I will be posting a video of the maiden flights of those Max Q rocket kits. I appreciate the kind words and if you thought the build was nice, you're gonna love the flight footage! Oooops, slight spoiler there........ :)

I caught your video a few days ago before seeing your post here, but your video was enough to convince me to order the Falcon 9. I also ordered the clear fins from Estes, but to my surprise the fins that arrived with the Falcon are now clear, and the cross brace for the shock cord mount seems much more substantial than in yours, so it seems Max Q is evolving.

I caught your video a few days ago before seeing your post here, but your video was enough to convince me to order the Falcon 9. I also ordered the clear fins from Estes, but to my surprise the fins that arrived with the Falcon are now clear, and the cross brace for the shock cord mount seems much more substantial than in yours, so it seems Max Q is evolving.
That's great to hear! I received the clear Vulcan ones last week and am quite impressed! I should be getting the Falcon 9 fins tomorrow. I hope to get out this weekend to test them all out. You are absolutely correct, Max Q is continually striving to perfect their kits. Glad to hear they beefed up your shock cord mount as well! Can't wait to see what's next in their choice of new rockets!

I can only imagine the folks at Estes wondering what's up with all those fin kits being sold all of a sudden! LOL

Watched Kevin’s build videos, very impressed with the product.
Contacted Max Q via their online chat and clear fin cans are now standard.
Also asked if the payload bays are screw on like the upcoming SLS model, but haven’t got an answer for that yet.
Falcon 9 will definitely get more flight time than my Estes model

Here's my latest Launch Days video, which includes the maiden flight of the new NASA SLS. In my "humble" opinion, this might be my best flying rocket in the 24mm x 70mm category. The rocket was perfectly balanced right out of the gate and had a straight vertical ascent. It easily held a 30" chute in it. Keep in mind, I fly off hard desert/rock terrain so my rockets take quite a licking on touchdown, so I can assume most folks have better landings than I have. His new fins are labeled indicating which rocket they go to which is a nice touch.

If you watch my build video on the Falcon 9, you can see that the payload by a slip on fit. Its pretty tight, so it probably wouldn't be an issue, but I elected to run a nylon bolt through it anchoring it on just as a safety measure. A screw on payload bay on the Falcon 9 is an interesting idea. The only negative about that would be that the threads decrease the inside diameter of the bay which may or may not limit the payloads, but that is hardly an issue.

Kevin

Here's my latest Launch Days video, which includes the maiden flight of the new NASA SLS. In my "humble" opinion, this might be my best flying rocket in the 24mm x 70mm category. The rocket was perfectly balanced right out of the gate and had a straight vertical ascent. It easily held a 30" chute in it. Keep in mind, I fly off hard desert/rock terrain so my rockets take quite a licking on touchdown, so I can assume most folks have better landings than I have. His new fins are labeled indicating which rocket they go to which is a nice touch.

If you watch my build video on the Falcon 9, you can see that the payload by a slip on fit. Its pretty tight, so it probably wouldn't be an issue, but I elected to run a nylon bolt through it anchoring it on just as a safety measure. A screw on payload bay on the Falcon 9 is an interesting idea. The only negative about that would be that the threads decrease the inside diameter of the bay which may or may not limit the payloads, but that is hardly an issue.

Kevin

Love these videos, keep up the good work!

So screw on payload bays for the Falcon 9 and Vulcan Centaur like the upcoming SLS haven’t been designed -yet.
Max Q is working on more rockets first, but is improving designs based on feedback received .
Starship sounds like it might be next out of the workshop or a Falcon Heavy (since it’s already mostly done).
After that it’s an Ariane 6, New Glen or Electron (my vote is Electron obviously…)

Mine didn't fare too well. Didn't eject and crashed into a grove tree. Max Q confirmed the black plastic was brittle and mailed me a replacement rocket. Put together but missing parts and the booster top was not printed correctly so waiting for the second package. Randall from Max Q has been great.

Oh bad luck with the not ejecting.
My kits have been complete and have gone together really well . I thought the 2nd stage did fit a bit tight so adjusted with a little sanding and easing the raised lugs. Worried it may be a reason for not ejecting?

Having made both the max q kits they look fantastic as display models , but will be flying for sure.
Ive stashed away two unmade kits for the collection.

Will be picking up two of the soon to be released SLS kits , looks fantastic and flies straight and true .
Just look at Kevin’s models excellent videos on YouTube

Great video of your Falcon 9
launch !!
Yes you’re right just need to be similar thickness to Estes ones .
I think the whole idea was to keep everything as thin as possible to keep the weight down, but where you need strength you need strength, don’t want to have to keep gluing them.
They have excellent customer service, and when I do place my order for the SLS they are going to send me a couple of clear fins for Falcon 9 s as I have the original black ones with mine .

Your Doorknob has lead an interesting life :)

Did it cost you to have the power company rescue it from the power line(s) ?

Thanks for the videos @Ronz Rocketz !

-- kjh

I was waiting for them to ask me for my ID but they didn't. If I wasn't there, they probably woulda given it to HPD lost property again for me to retrieve.

I epoxied the fins back on the Majestic they smashed three months ago. They didn't run over the MM like the rest, so it's intact. I have a replacement NC and waiting for replacement BT to arrive.

Great video of your Falcon 9
launch !!
Yes you’re right just need to be similar thickness to Estes ones .
I think the whole idea was to keep everything as thin as possible to keep the weight down, but where you need strength you need strength, don’t want to have to keep gluing them.
They have excellent customer service, and when I do place my order for the SLS they are going to send me a couple of clear fins for Falcon 9 s as I have the original black ones with mine .

Did you see Kevin broke another fin today despite the 36in chute? I loved how we can hear the chute open up.

Back