Max Q Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Order in for 2 x SLS and add on , I’m in the UK so two weeks to turn up .
I know it’s early but wondering what is next ?
Starship ? fingers crossed!

Randall was at our club launch yesterday and launched 4 different models, all on D12. I think the smaller ones would work fine on C11 if you are on a smaller field. He had a significantly larger model that we didn't launch, it might need more than a D12. The finish of the parts looked good to me considering they are printed.DSC_0577r.jpg

I received the SLS and add on pack today and dry fitted the pieces.
In Kevin's video above the long white transition has female threads on the top.
Mine has male threads, so I cannot screw the Orion and ICPS into the adapter since it also has male threads.

Am I missing something, or did MAXQ send me an erroneous piece?
0117241355a.jpg0117241355.jpg

(Confucius say male into female, not male into male).
:D

Last edited:
The *Interim* Cryogenic Propulsion Stage is not present in the Block 1B. It is replaced by the Exploration upper stage.

I received the SLS and add on pack today and dry fitted the pieces.
In Kevin's video above the long white transition has female threads on the top.
Mine has male threads, so I cannot screw the Orion and ICPS into the adapter since it also has male threads.

Am I missing something, or did MAXQ send me an erroneous piece?
View attachment 624806View attachment 624807

The *Interim* Cryogenic Propulsion Stage is not present in the Block 1B. It is replaced by the Exploration upper stage.
Thanks.
I just received a reply from Randall at Max Q saying the same thing.
I was going by his instruction sheet pic which shows the ICPS attached to the longer transition.
So he reversed the threads from Kevin's version for more accuracy.

That's correct Gary. Mine was a prototype and we discovered the error based on some comments of others. Just omit the ICSP and you'll be more accurate. Good catch!

I just noticed something.
When the rocket is in Block 2 10 m configuration the launch rod does not clear the fairing.
The lugs do not stand off far enough from the airframe.
So is this config for display only, and unlaunchable?
Edit: Left an email for Randall.

Last edited:
I think a simple 3d printed launch lug that has a dowel like part to fit into standard launch lug will make it stand off sufficiently, and can easily be removed.
Great kits 👍

I think a simple 3d printed launch lug that has a dowel like part to fit into standard launch lug will make it stand off sufficiently, and can easily be removed.
Great kits 👍
Brilliant idea.
I would tape it in for flight so it doesn't fall off.
Would be difficult to find such a small piece.

Seems a Falcon Heavy is incoming!
Kevin’s models has a prototype, looks awesome! Possibly a 3 engine cluster!!

Plus payload fairing add on for the Falcon 9 kit.
Love the kits , Dam I need these too 🤣

Saw Kevin's Falcon Heavy unboxing video.
Looks like Randall can use the clip on lug standoff idea for the Falcon 9 add on payload fairing and send a modified version to the SLS add on pack users so they can fly the Block 2 10 m fairing.
Hope he does!

Last edited:
Randall has informed me that he has sent me a package that includes the SLS lug standoffs and improved fins (maybe for the Falcon 9)?
Should be here in about a week, will report on it when it arrives.
On his website the Falcon fairing add on is up as well as several improvements to the Falcon 9 kit.
Looking forward to the release of the Falcon Heavy.
Laters.

Lord willin' and the creek don't rise (and low winds)........... the Falcon Heavy will making its maiden flight tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• Pic.jpg
    Pic.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Randall has informed me that he has sent me a package that includes the SLS lug standoffs and improved fins (maybe for the Falcon 9)?
Should be here in about a week, will report on it when it arrives.
On his website the Falcon fairing add on is up as well as several improvements to the Falcon 9 kit.
Looking forward to the release of the Falcon Heavy.
Laters.
Is he offering this to those of us who already picked up the SLS addons?

Launch lug standoffs for the SLS came in today.
0208241127[1].jpg
0208241128[1].jpg
They clip over the airframe and nest over the stock lugs.
Will probably need to tape the ends to the airframe.
Also received the updated sturdier clear fin sets for the Falcon 9 and Vulcan.
Excellent customer service, kudos to Randall.

I picked up some orange electrical tape from Lowe’s today. I also got some white for the new Starlink Module lugs for the Falcon 9. That should keep the lugs down well.

Attachments

• 1D1AC3B3-D9AB-4909-8975-ED0E5C652834.jpeg
    1D1AC3B3-D9AB-4909-8975-ED0E5C652834.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • A8EF39E6-3A59-43C1-80E5-9E32FDE27239.jpeg
    A8EF39E6-3A59-43C1-80E5-9E32FDE27239.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Not yet, but I may give it a try one of these days...... What would be really cool would be to liftoff using the outer core motors and then at burn-out use the Air Start to ignite that center core....... Whew, that would be something!

Kevin, I have a question for you.
How are you locking down the updated clear fins on the ULA Vulcan Centaur?
I'm trying to use the original motor retainer but the hole in the fin can is bigger than the retainer.
Thanks.
IMG_20240211_115703.jpg

Kevin, I have a question for you.
How are you locking down the updated clear fins on the ULA Vulcan Centaur?
I'm trying to use the original motor retainer but the hole in the fin can is bigger than the retainer.
Thanks.
Gary, I’m baffled by that. Mine fits just fine. But if for some reason mine was like yours, I would glue a flat piece of plastic to cover that hole in the fin can, then Dremel out a smaller hole.

Just curious, do your fins have “Vulcan Centaur” printed on one of the fins or do you have an older non-printed one?

Back