Intuitive Machines IM-1 to attempt landing on Feb 22.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Rory Gin

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A private enterprise linked to NASA and SpaceX was launched by a Falcon 9 on Feb. 15 destined for the south pole region of the Moon. Here is a link to the mission animation.

Presently, the flight is nominal and without issues. If all goes well, the landing should take place in the early afternoon of the 22nd and will be live streamed from Intuitive Machine's website. The exact landing time will be published later today prior to the insertion burn on the 21st.

https://www.intuitivemachines.com/im-1

This is a link to the last update from Intuitive Machines:
https://www.intuitivemachines.com/_files/ugd/7c27f7_9a0824d41db4448b847bbb47e6a04c1d.pdf

"Odysseus continues to be in excellent health, and flight controllers are preparing planned
trajectory correction maneuvers to prepare the lander for lunar orbit insertion.
Since the IM-1 Mission launched on SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket, flight controllers on the Company’s
red, white, and blue teams have been learning more about the lander and how to efficiently fly
the mission to return the United States to the surface of the Moon
."

lots of moon stuff of late, kind of hard to think that all the stuff that we have been saying we where going to do is actually happening.

Ps cool logo

Landing time has been updated. Flight controllers commanded a lunar correction maneuver to raise Odysseus' orbit overnight and updated the anticipated landing time to 1524 CST. We expect the landing stream to start on this IM-1 web page and NASA TV at 1400 CST. The content on both streams is identical. So we shall have about 1 1/2 hrs of live streaming.

Landing scheduled for just-before 6:30 (around 6:24pm).... I should be home before that, just in time to tune-in to Youtube and watch the success and/or failure.

New update at 2/22/24 1330 CST

"Flight controllers chose to exercise an additional orbit before starting the IM-1 Mission landing sequence. The new anticipated landing time is 1724 CST.
We expect the landing stream to start on the IM-1 web page and NASA TV at 1600 CST. The content on both streams is identical."

Uh-oh.

Extra orbit added due to problems w/laser rangefinders used for landing. New software written and uplinked to work around this and use alternate instruments to derive landing solution.

Good luck!

I was curious what it was going to do. Apparently NASA paid quite a bit to have some experiments transported to the moon surface. I wonder if the thing just opens the windows and lets the experiments do their thing or does it have some form of robot that carries them around on the moon surface.

Same here.

I'm not entirely sure the expected timing for Canberra reception? But it's several hours past Moonrise in Canberra as I write this.

Anyone know if IM-1 uses the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter to talk back to earth? 'Cuz Canberra's been talking to LRO for at least an hour.

Back