Intuitive Machines IM-1 to attempt landing on Feb 22.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good for them :music1:

Intuitive Machines is located not far from us at the Houston Space Port and I'm sure they are some happy people there right now. We also have Space Center Houston at the Johnson Space Center and they have a a full blown Saturn 5 on display along with other space related items. I marvel at how stout the Saturn 5, the rover, the LEM, and other items were built back then. The amount of heavy metal in the Saturn is amazing in comparison to the the ships and landers today. The landers today seen to be so fragile that they don't look strong enough to go down the street much less to the moon. But technology has come a long way and the amount of electronics boogles the mind. For them to be able to patch into the NASA Lidar when the onboard lasers failed 286,000 miles from home is amazing. It looks like all of the experimental payloads are bolted to the sides of the lander to do their jobs.

So hats off to those folks and lets hope it won't be another 50 years befor we get back. :bravo:

Yup. They're saying days to get pictures, which makes me wonder if their high gain antenna is not available (pointed at the ground)?

I'm assuming it has a high gain antenna; most of the photos I've seen are of one side of the vehicle.

Laser rangefinder could not be turned on - apparently a human safety interlock that prevents injury on the ground was inadvertently left on at launch.

Yup. They're saying days to get pictures, which makes me wonder if their high gain antenna is not available (pointed at the ground)?

I'm assuming it has a high gain antenna; most of the photos I've seen are of one side of the vehicle.

Laser rangefinder could not be turned on - apparently a human safety interlock that prevents injury on the ground was inadvertently left on at launch.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it needs to look like a bug, the LEM was way shorter and it would take a lot more to tip it over.

:facepalm::angiefavorite: "Serendipitous" saves the day!

The lasers were not meant to be tested before descent. The lower than expected perigee made them turn on the laser system and nada. This gave them time to use the NASA LIDAR. VERY fortunate indeed!

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it needs to look like a bug, the LEM was way shorter and it would take a lot more to tip it over.
This is a high level failure. Maybe a marketing person designed the lander vs an engineer. Estes did a better job over 50 years ago- I've seen those things of various sizes land on all 4 legs.

That was my first impression when I saw the photo- it is relatively tall for its footprint. Let it land a little off and it goes over on its side. I would think it should look like a flying saucer with legs sticking out. I realize that wouldn't fit in a rocket very well but it needs to do some folding.

I listened to most of the press conference while I made dinner. Mistakes were made but I think this tale will age well.

It's a story of serious thinking on their feet mixed with just plain dumb luck, executed with no time to spare. It ain't Apollo 13 but it's a lot more than SCE to AUX.

The smartest move of all? Waiting for the markets to close for the weekend before holding the presser! ;)

Tough to stick something with the aspect ratio of the LEM on a modern launch vehicle. The LEM was tucked into a ~10m fairing. That’s twice the diameter of today’s fairings. I believe that all the landers are going to be at the higher aspect ratio for a while.

Am I the only one picturing a Starship based lunar lander lying on its side on the lunar surface?
I wish I could draw cartoons... I have one along those lines in my head, but wouldn't be as good explained. Maybe I'll draw it with stick figures.. 😆

2nd:
Flight stability: we got that.

In flight corse verification / adjustments : check

Program updates, and changes at thousands of miles away : yep

Standing vertical, on our feet on uneven ground : needs work.

Good discussion from Scott Manley:

His take was that the lander would be in more danger of tipping in the lower moon gravity, even more reason it should have been designed differently from the start.

Back