What do you do WHILE you build?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been watching Mission Impossible. Great to watch while building. I have thought about watching 'in the line of fire', but if my wife walked downstairs while sanding down balsa, it might freak her out. :y:

Oh, yes. Beer. Saranac Adirondack Lager recently...

I listen to the radio or an old CD by "Silly Wizard" that is so used that the photons are beginning to eat through the disc.

I also spend a lot of time wondering why mom and dad didn't install AC in the garage back when they redid the house in 73

I always have an old Sci-fi playing on the Macbook (they are a bottomless resource of design ideas), drink ginger ale, eat chocolate and try to keep Chandler, my 60 pound pit, out of my lap. If I am not real careful I end up starting another build while waiting for glue to dry.
:rolleyes:

My workshop (aka 'The Rocket Dungeon') is the repository of all things broken or in need of repair. I usually work in silence but often will tinker on some other project while waiting on something rockety. Of course, rocket projects often happen while tinkering on something else.

7. Intermittently utter explosive strings of profanity under my breath. What comes out of my mouth would make a trucker blush.
Actually, most of the time I resemble the Rainman when I am building rockets. Total focus, with no distractions. The house could be burning down around me and I wouldn't notice it, because I am "in the zone." There is nothing in my rocket workshop but the items needed to actually build rockets. I will sometimes bring a can of diet soda in with me, and then four hours later realize that I haven't taken a sip out of it.

What other stuff could I possibly ever need in there? There is no room for the computer, but even if I did bring it into my workshop, no one else in the house would be able to use it. TV? When would I have time to watch it? And why would I even want to watch TV off by myself? I'd miss the company.

I simply cannot understand how anyone could build a rocket while drinking beer. If I kept any beer in the workshop I would probably just end up throwing it out after a year because I would forget to drink it. To tell the truth, that already happens now each year with the beer in the kitchen fridge.

Last edited:
For me, it depends....

If I'm building by myself, sometimes I'm listening to the kids in the other room, playing on the XBox, or listening to whatever music or TV show they're listening to. Sometimes, it's dead silent, because someone is doing homework in the next room.

...and then there are the group projects, where if you're not working on something at that moment, you're typically harassing someone who is trying to get work done. :)

-Kevin

I want your job.

I haven't gotten much building done lately - too busy in the 737 PD group these days and people insist on having meetings that overlap what used to be lunchtime.....

I might get the fins on the Shrike booster some time next week....

Usually close the door of the rocket cave, light some incense, and fire up the CD player. If it's a scratch build, its got to be Meat Loaf playing- Bat 1, 2, or3:bat:

Evil Ed:dark:

Listen to the radio and watch the mice run around while I build in the garage :p

Drink beer with an occaisional tot of rum. Smoke. Chat with the missus while she watches the tube or watches me build. Sometimes stamp my feet, cuss, and wave my hands in the air after painting. If she's not around then I generally put some music on (my tastes are eccentric). If there's some racing on I'll listen/watch that.

Last edited:
Usually close the door of the rocket cave, light some incense, and fire up the CD player. If it's a scratch build, its got to be Meat Loaf playing- Bat 1, 2, or3:bat:

Evil Ed:dark:

"Like a bat out of h@ll I'll be gone when the morning comes"

Drink my own home brewed beer, listen to XM radio and have at least two if not three projects going. Then sometimes I will set some fillets and paint a rocket or two with a rattle can and walk away for a day or two. Depends on what life throws at me. :) :) :)

Tee Vee and a little hot saki. Very often, Wifey is sitting next to me, trying to distract me. I usually have a few kits in various stages going at the same time.

Normally listen to TV or put the CDs on shuffle (Rush, Ozzy, Kiss, Primus, Metallica, Steve Vai, Queen...Old rock/metal). When glue's drying, I glue something else. When I don't have anything to glue, I sand. When I don't have anything to sand, I crank up the bandsaw. When I don't have anything to saw, I plan the next build, or read some new destructions. Usually, I have a ship or railroad model thrown on the bench, in case I need further diversion. All the while drinking decaf coffee or decaf Diet Pepsi (while wifey is home) or whatever hops/malt-based beverage I have on hand (cat's away, mice will catch a buzz).

I'm with you, give me the hard stuff.

Fine, Aviations for all. I'm down with that.

FWIW, the only beer I drink is micro brews on tap at one of the local watering holes that has upteen on tap...

My last was

Double Hoppy Ruination IPA, Stone Brewing, 9.5% and
Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout, Anderson Valley, USA 5.7%

Fine, Aviations for all. I'm down with that.

FWIW, the only beer I drink is micro brews on tap at one of the local watering holes that has upteen on tap...

My last was

Double Hoppy Ruination IPA, Stone Brewing, 9.5% and
Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout, Anderson Valley, USA 5.7%

I'm not that picky, as long as it has some buzz to it and doesn't smell skunky.

I grew up with Coors and that makes me as happy as anything. Heck if someone else is buying I'll even drink Lone Star or Buck Horn or Falstaff or Hamms or ... well like I said, I'm not picky.

Also work on other rockets while I build. It's a good way to use up leftover materials and make use of the equipment while it's unstowed. My creative process seems to be more productive as well, that is, if there's something I'm stuck on I am more likely to come up with a solution while working on another project.

I also listen to music or my short wave radio.

Silly Wizard!

+1

:clap:

I'm with you, give me the hard stuff.
You mean......Mountain Dew?!? :y:

diet-mountain-dew-1.jpg

Last edited:
Of I go on TRF....................................................in between rockets builds :gavel:

Back