What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got initial primer coats on the LOC Nike Zeus/Spartan main fins. Gotta let it dry overnight then sand.

Going to build up several heavier coats, sanded between, then some rivet and surface detail will be scribed into the primer before final light primer coat and color.

Parts of this hobby are as exciting as watching paint dry... 🤪

Continued work on the Boyce 1/72 Mercury Redstone. As Mugs914, I have a bit of filling and sanding to do. Shame I did not get the escape tower straight on the capsule... Might fly it without the tower, but that just seems to defeat the purpose. Right? I just don't see how the tower won't get ripped off with parachute deployment anyway.
Pic 02.jpg Pic 03.jpg Pic 04.jpg
And, does anyone know why the instructions say to leave 2mm between the tubes at the bottom of the rocket?

Put together an AV bay housing for my BT60 LaserLOC 1.63.

5” long BT60 coupler from LOC
BT60 End caps from Rocketarium parts (coupler bulkheads for BT60 couplers and BT60 tubing glued together Oreo style)
8-32 all thread, nuts and washers
Length of kevlar tubular braid for end loops
1/2” wide switch band

A Missileworks 38mm Li-Ion AV bay sled, RRC2+ altimeter with a 3.7v LiPo battery on screw switch, and well-nuts for E-match pass-throughs make up the internals.

It’s tiny but “cute” but a bit cumbersome to turn around. With luck I will only have to do that once, tho...assuming I break Mach and the Mile High Wall.

Assuming success, will afterwards replace the av bay with a baffle assembly converting the LaserLOC to single deploy.

We have a 4500 ft ceiling, I'd need to travel to a launch with a higher waiver to attempt the Mile High... (sigh) When will you be attempting (and achieving) this double-duty flight, o1d_dude?
Hopefully launches will resume in the fall when we get our seasonal rains and the fields turn green. Fire danger is much less of an issue. Many rocketeers travel up into Nevada and launch during the summer months from a dry lake bed in the Sierra foothills about 90 minutes away but the heat is too much for me. I apparently used up all my heatproofing as a kid when we lived in North Africa.

Between now and the fall I hope to get all my gear ready for the attempt (rocket, hardware, electronics, gps, etc.) The gear is either already here or on the way so the burden is on me. No excuses.

Last edited:
Started design and prototyping for a BT50 4" long Altimeter bay for a Quark and a 180mah 2s Lipo, as well as a Missleworks screw switch. I have a couple of 24mm G110's that are looking to rip the fins off a BT50 MD rocket. Now where did I put the rest of those Dilithium Crystals......might call this rocket Vanishing Act.

20200628_022543.jpg
Working on the motor mount adaptor for my 1/4 scale Viking 7 sounding rocket. This is a 98mm-75mm astaptor made from MC 75mm mmt and custom cut 1/2" plywood CR.

20200628_022946.jpg
The aft one is a snug fit into the Slimline threaded adaptor, the 1/2" plywood should transfer the thrust from the 75mm motor to the thrust plate and airframe nicely. I used my Ellis Mountain 76/7000 case to make sure everything is working together.

I have some 1" tubular nylon and a Skyangle XL deployment bag coming from Wildman, then it will be onto ground testing if the deployment charges.

I also worked on some custom dipped initiators for motors, small scale testing is looking good.

VideoCapture_20200628-013248.jpg

Having clearer off my workbench, I filled it up again with rockets in need of repair. First up is this one. I don't remember where it came from (either my kids built it or it was a gift from someone leaving the hobby, or something), but some fins had come off, some I had, but three were missing.

IMG_20200627_164624853_HDR.jpg

The painting was terrible and the decals were either falling off or were only half there. So, rather than just slap on some new fins, I took them all off. Then cut new (basswood) fins, sanded tapers on appropriate edges, sanded the paint (on the fins) to a smoother finish, scraped off the decals, and sanded most of the paint off both the BT and the NC.

IMG_20200627_185110568_HDR.jpg

The end of the BT was a little worn after all the scraping and sanding so it got soaked in a few drops of super glue.

Next, spiral filling (and more sanding)!

I’ve been working on my LOC 4” Phoenix. Since I plan on flying at the Bonneville Salt Flats, I’m glassing the fins and body tube for durability. I’ve finally had a chance to glass the fins:

04968130-EA12-4C86-B47D-724891B16ABB.jpeg
It’s my first time ‘glassing. The fabric was cut to each fin’s shape, and apparently I put them too close together, as the glass bridged together in between.

I also vacuum bagged them using a Food Saver, and you can easily see the pattern from the peel ply.

They turned out better than anticipated, especially for my first time with the material. Tip o’ the hat to John Coker and his excellent video on fin lamination and vacuum bagging.

I finally calculated the nose weight I needed to add to my AMW Fiber Bigger Daddy. Just under a pound plus 2 oz. epoxy. I set it in some cold water to keep the heat down, although it isn't too much for fiberglass, but it may alow a stronger cure? Regardless, I should be able to fly the biggest I motor in it, and length permitting up to a small K, but that would require upping my cert. I will be back-filling the rest of the nosecone with 2 part foam...IMG_7838.JPGIMG_7841.JPGIMG_7842.JPG

I worked on the Darkstar Mini that has been in my shed since a Black Saturday sale a few years ago. That's a LOC nosecone for now, I seem to have misplaced the nosecone that came with the kit. I installed a tracker bay and for some reason the NC wasn't with the Eggfinder Mini and sled for it.

This wasn't the Crazy Jim 5 min build, but the motor mount was in place and external fillets on yesterday, the fin can foamed this morning, and the first layer of primer laid down. That's lightning fast for me. My son's "Eagle Child" is almost finished too, so now we can race.

PSX_20200628_195257.jpg

Took my micro mag out for a spin for the first time today. I had a G78-7G under the hood. I love those Aerotech composite motors.

Attachments

• 25B58F3A-6DA3-42A1-A7B0-7B75AAC23179.png
    25B58F3A-6DA3-42A1-A7B0-7B75AAC23179.png
    312 KB · Views: 29
Flew a rocket on Sunday, the first time since about May last year. Only a D in a SS Cestris by Sirius Rocketry. Some other good flights by others, including a nice noisy hybrid. Weather was absolutely perfectly clear and nary a whiff of wind. Numbers were limited due to Covid restrictions.

Towed our new equipment trailer to and from the site. Trailer works well, as does the Jeep (first time towing with it) towing it.

The new portable toilet trailer, also making its debut, was much appreciated :).

Hah, Isn't it!

It's just I go late Saturday afternoons to the dealership shop after the techs leave. It has the perfect temperature and humidity and no dust flying around.

Back