What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Ordered a bunch of batteries and a charger/discharger. Batteries for the AV bay electronics and GPS, and charger to care for them. Also ordered a Lipo battery explosion/storage bag, too. (Amazon and HobbyKing).

Mounted the Estes 29mm motor retainer (Love those things!) on my clone PSII Panavia, cleaned up the rail button mounting holes drilled through body tube into backer blocks, cut an appropriate length of stainless pot scrubber mesh for the baffle, and dry stacked it all just because I like the design of that particular rocket.

@Big_Red_Daddy posed the question as to whether there was any interest in an upscaled clone of the Estes EAC Viper.

I told him to shut up and take my money.

First time I ever saw the Viper was when Captain Low and Slow (@qquake2k) brought his out to a launch and I have wanted one ever since.
How is Capt Low and Slow? Have not seen him around here in quite some time.

Last edited:

Nytrunner

Pop lugs, not drugs
Reaction score
Got all my foam backings cut out, and silver details painted (over black base coat).

Not sure how I'd have hung them by themselves, the thin sections were already developing layer adhesion issues. Once they're superglued to the foamboard, that won't be an issue.
20200701_211658.jpg

DRAGON64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I received a Micro-Hybrid rocket motor in the mail yesterday. I purchased the motor from a forum member here on the Yard Sale Forum.

wdbill

Reaction score
I used hot glue to glue the upper rail Button into a loc vulcanite. I thought it was an ok idea I would have rather used epoxy but it rather far down the body tube. Its not a structure point. Good or bad idea let me know thanks

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
I sanded fins today.

As Gollum says, “ We must do the sanding...BUT WE HATES IT!!”

Building the fin can for my Cherokee-H outside the body tube so this will be yet another first for me.

Lately I have been doing nothing but firsts rocketry-wise. I believe it’s a good thing considering that we are all locked down in our homes and slowly losing our minds.

Started a mile-high/ Mach 1 project involving a primary and a backup rocket...
Ordered a custom streamer for the minimum diameter birds...
Have an EggFinder GPS in the works with BlackAero case...
Ordered parts and to assemble a serious portable launch pad for 10x10mm, 20x20mm, and 1010 rails...
Invested in lipo batteries and all manner of support gear to power my GPS system, and avionics...
I have a 4” Thor and a 1.2” Thor in my SBR shopping cart as I type this...
Planning to use the actual Estes paint scheme on my PSII Panavia clone...a very stylish bird...but the green will be black, the stripes will be white, and the body tube will be neon pink...

My credit card is whimpering but I pay it off every month AND my savings account is growing. I must be doing something wrong. Perhaps the lockdown has me concentrating my expenditures and not frittering it all away on targets of opportunity. Not bragging, just pondering the mystery of it all.

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I used hot glue to glue the upper rail Button into a loc vulcanite. I thought it was an ok idea I would have rather used epoxy but it rather far down the body tube. Its not a structure point. Good or bad idea let me know thanks
I can't say authoritatively that it's wrong, but I sure wouldn't do it. I'd never use hot glue for anything more than trivial loads, and rail button attachment does not qualify.

Spitfire222

Reaction score
So this goes straight into the build pile queue and...
Well, maybe I'll open the box and take a quick look....
NO!!!
MUST...RESIST...
MUST...RESIST...
😄
Yeah, the same happened to me: had an Estes Vapor and Executor in the build pile ahead of the Doorknob, but once I opened that box...well.....;)

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
Reaction score
I actually worked on some rockets today. 😳😁
Got the fillets put on the strakes of my MAC Performance Archer (sorry Mike, I put them on opposite of what you said; looked better to me... 🤫🤭), and finally stuck the centering rings on the mmt of the 6” Interceptor. Yea!!! Tomorrow I’ll fillet the centering rings on the Interceptor mmt.

GalantVR41062

Celebrate Recovery
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
20200704_001742.jpg

I have had packages delivered the last few days. Today was opening, looking and some planning in OR for first flights and some local altitude record attempt sims, in the G, H, J, K motor categories.

I picked up a Loki 54mm L1040 red motor. 3708Ns of total impulse, I need a Loki 54/2800 snapping case, tail cone and extended bulkhead now. I did a quick burn count in my head over the last 3 years for me and it was not much more then 3700Ns. OR sims to 32,000' and M2.7.
20200703_233625.jpg

20200704_002441.jpg

The SU nozzle vs my Loki 38mm #22 nozzle from my L2 flight.

I plan to head down to the farm and fly this in my MC Tomach 2.2" md bird. I will need to be mindful of room for the recovery gear between the MD retainer and ebay. I also picked up a 38mm and 54mm FWRG, the 38mm is being drop shipped.

Then my WM BH38 with the Loki 38/1200 case and Loki J1026 CT motor will be my J altitude record attempt.

I also picked up a tailcone rear closure for my AT 54/2560 case and I have a few motor option in the K range to fly in my MC Tomach for the K altitude record attempt.

~John

Last edited:

NOLA_BAR

Reaction score
Finally got to launch at the small park near my house. No people and no wind. This is the Quest MLAS that I converted to 3x13mm canted cluster. Launched with 3 1/2A3-2T motors. Perfect flight. Maybe got to to 75 feet.
7092F592-F8BD-44CD-9F9B-78D91C635F6F.png

42A3E542-2502-4E65-9641-9C5D22952AB3.png

Estes X-Wing on C6-3. Always a perfect flight, always pops the rear fin fins.
EF117AC2-8B3C-476A-AE16-21D60693A0A0.png

John Kemker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Final assembly of my LOC Goblin and 3D printed Nike Smoke. Epoxied the fin assembly into the Goblin. Epoxied the two centering rings in the fin can of the 'Smoke and then epoxied the mid-portion of the fuselage onto the fin can. Will be able to take a 24mm reload.
LOC-Goblin-2020-07-04.jpg
NikeSmoke2020-07-04.jpg